Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

etronics done been had em for $929 for awhile now and not sure you can use amazon gift certs for a store like that but im not sure

ahh - good point.. well, I have a feeling I'll either get $$ for it, or the set itself... we'll see..

So, in comparison to a NICE fast LCD.. like mine (Acer AL2423W) were I see no ghosting and no lag, how fast does this one feel? I hear there's a little ghosting, but the grandure of the picture makes up for that.. something like that?

ive had no ghosting but ive only played reg dvd and bd and ps3 on it, i need a new hsf cause my pump is dead, till i get a new pump then i can hook my pc up to it a tell you how it is there
but so far fn awesome, big and pretty( how i like my boobies, but bouncy too, monitor dont bounce though) you will love it

Yeah - this thread seems to indicate that is generally kicks fucking ass.. so I am sure I will like it. :D

SPEEDMAN said:
I GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE !!!! :eek: :eek:

wahahahaah i'm laughing like a little kid at the size of this thing ! I have to look up to see my screen totally, hoping for no neck problems.

have to do something about the brightness though, just have a look at previous settings of users on this forum.

keep you posted ! :-D

tax bill will come later :p
will be 21% VAT here in belgium (on 1100 $) and then some little costs, nothing to worry about. :-D
my back light is @ 20%, i think it comes @ 100 out of the box..which damn near burnt the corneas out of my head the 1st time i fired it up :D

revenant said:
I hear there's a little ghosting, but the grandure of the picture makes up for that.. something like that?

The only ghosting "problem" really is when the TV is deinterlacing 1080i movie content. I have ZERO ghosting if i am using my HD-DVD at 1080p. So I wouldn't say it is a "slow" monitor. The problem lies more with the video processor deinterlacing 1080i content.

In XBox 360, PC through VGA or DVI etc it is awesome (Which is what I use it for primarily anyway.. a PC monitor)

I will be honest though.. trying to watch a 1080i movie is annoying as hell so I will drop my cable box source to 720p just to avoid the ghosting.

I know some people have complained about artifacts in HD programming. It's the source at fault. Discovery HD (when it's actually in HD damn you) looks amazing. TNT NBA HD is rabid dog turd with a layer of bum poo for added smell... it's really that horrible. Avoid it like the plague. Fox OTA HD NFL telecasts easily destroy anything from TNT.

HD-DVD through the XBOX 360 looks great.

oh my god, what else can i say.

It is just TOO big. My parents saw it and they just couldn't stop laughing, they totally cranked up just seeying it.

Its even bigger than our home TV and i'm using it for my PC :D aren't we all a little nuts.

just a few more things:
I notice ghosting when playing games like BF2.
Is it possible to avoid these with settings or ... ?

the cursor, for example the one when i'm typing this reply is made out of a lot of tiny points (pixels) is it normal that you can see them or should it be one line and is there something wrong with my settings.

I read on another forum (link is in the picture thread of the westy) that you can go into OSD and changing the red blue and yellow by pushing the minus and plus volume and then pushing the power button. this doesn't work for me.
Or do i have to disconnect the DVI cable first?
let me know thanks.

don't know why you get ghosting from BF2...what video card you use? I have a watercooled and heavily overclocked ATI X1900XTX running BF2 at native resolution 1920x1080 @60hz with absolutely no hint or sign of any ghosting, I'm getting about 76~80fps on 64 players map as well. Watching action movies and the new BF2142 game don't have ghosting either.

can't believe you guys are using this as a PC monitor
I tried it, but decided to keep my 2405FPW for PC and using this as a TV

glad to hear bout bf2142 as thats what i am mainly playin atm( well when i get another pump or temp hsf)
y cant you believe it being used as a monitor for pc its nice n pretty and big with a great res im at 1920x1200

SPEEDMAN said:
oh my god, what else can i say.

It is just TOO big. My parents saw it and they just couldn't stop laughing, they totally cranked up just seeying it.

Its even bigger than our home TV and i'm using it for my PC :D aren't we all a little nuts.

just a few more things:
I notice ghosting when playing games like BF2.
Is it possible to avoid these with settings or ... ?

the cursor, for example the one when i'm typing this reply is made out of a lot of tiny points (pixels) is it normal that you can see them or should it be one line and is there something wrong with my settings.

I read on another forum (link is in the picture thread of the westy) that you can go into OSD and changing the red blue and yellow by pushing the minus and plus volume and then pushing the power button. this doesn't work for me.
Or do i have to disconnect the DVI cable first?
let me know thanks.

post some pix! :D

EnderW said:

No Way :) As far as I am concerned this thing was created to be a PC monitor :cool:

I have a NVIDIA 8800 GTX

on an AMD 44400+ @ 2600mhz and 2 GIG of ram running at cas 2,5

so I don't think that is the problem. Maybe my eyes are too good or something.

pics will follow, but my work is too busy right now, I'll try to do them as soon as i Can.

is there any setting I need to look after for my westy ?

EnderW said:

exactly it's just silly... using something so small for a monitor.. that's why I went for the 42 ;)

12-9-2006001.jpg

12-9-2006033.jpg

12-9-2006035.jpg

So, I have the 42" version of this beast. I plug in my DVI-D cable into DVI 1 and the signal is fine, I just can't see the the start up screens or when I go into the bios (lot's of squigly lines a dissarrayed signal) but when it boots into windows, it's fine, picture is great. When I plug it into DVI 2, I can see the bios, I can see the start up screens (which scale correctly) but the whole image itself is shifted up by about half an inch.

Is there anyway to fix this?

It's an annoyance to bust out the VGA cable everytime I need to get into the bios.

I just don't see the point
I mean you have to sit farther back to see the whole screen unless you want to turn your head to look at the edges

or maybe you guys don't sit as close as I do to my 24"

Rhyno said:
The only ghosting "problem" really is when the TV is deinterlacing 1080i movie content. I have ZERO ghosting if i am using my HD-DVD at 1080p. So I wouldn't say it is a "slow" monitor. The problem lies more with the video processor deinterlacing 1080i content.

In XBox 360, PC through VGA or DVI etc it is awesome (Which is what I use it for primarily anyway.. a PC monitor)

I will be honest though.. trying to watch a 1080i movie is annoying as hell so I will drop my cable box source to 720p just to avoid the ghosting.

ok - good to know. This will be a dedicated gaming rig monitor and I will be running it at 1920x1080 all the time.. so I shouldn't run into deinterlacing issues.

Has anyone else besides me tried the new Nvidia 8800 tech demos on the Westy in 1920x1080..? holy crap, the Adrianne chick looks pretty darn real in the face. :eek:

I just sat and laughed at the frog demo because it was funny looking. But, the and shiny skin, physics, texturing was pretty amazing, especially when it sticks its throat out. I was hoping for the frog to stick out its tounge and get a bug though. :(

EnderW said:
I just don't see the point
I mean you have to sit farther back to see the whole screen unless you want to turn your head to look at the edges

or maybe you guys don't sit as close as I do to my 24"

Sitting close and/or leaning forward is what I wanted to get away from personally.. besides the fact that the image processing for component is questionable on the 2405 and 2407. (I use DVI, VGA and component regularly) I had 3x 2005's and upgraded the center to a 2405 then 2407 all in attempts to get a more engaging visual display. The complications of sli and multi-monitor not playing well just made it a exercise in futility... so now I have one huge display and I can sit back relaxed and still get a more immersive view.

not quite surrounded:
11-2005-3.jpg

a little better still not great:
2405-2.jpg

ahh that's the spot!
12-9-2006021.jpg

SPEEDMAN said:
I have a NVIDIA 8800 GTX

on an AMD 44400+ @ 2600mhz and 2 GIG of ram running at cas 2,5

so I don't think that is the problem. Maybe my eyes are too good or something.

pics will follow, but my work is too busy right now, I'll try to do them as soon as i Can.

is there any setting I need to look after for my westy ?

Speed, try going into Nvidia Control Panel > Video and Television > Change Signal for HD format > Make sure its on 1080p. I believe 1080i is the default. Changing this fixed some similar issues for me.

One would think it dosnt have any effect on desktop settings, but it most certainly does. Press the info button on your display, you can watch it change from i to p in a desktop enviroment.

Edit, btw sweet pics hammer. Another EQ2 junkie I see eh ?

Yreka said:

I dabble :)

btw, sorry if my posts seem off topic or hijacky. I've ran the gamut with monitors and so far these bigass screens have held up the best for immersion. There's a westy 37" about 15 feet from me so I am pretty familiar with both that and the 42". I also have a crt front projector on a 92" screen that works pretty well for gaming even though it's 1280x720...

Yreka said:
Speed, try going into Nvidia Control Panel > Video and Television > Change Signal for HD format > Make sure its on 1080p. I believe 1080i is the default. Changing this fixed some similar issues for me.

One would think it dosnt have any effect on desktop settings, but it most certainly does. Press the info button on your display, you can watch it change from i to p in a desktop enviroment.

WOW, thanks a million !

will try this tonight ! so i have to go to info on my display settings of the screen itself to see wether i'm 1080i or 1080p ?

are there any special drivers for this screen or does it appear automatically, the selection for HD in television and video in Nvidia control panel ?

Yreka said:

Also you can just "disable" the fact that the Video Card is treating this as an HDTV. Goto NVidia Control Panel > Display > Manage Custom Timings then uncheck the "treat as an HDTV option"

I did it and it solved the problems, image is much clearer now !

the cursor here in the reply is now a full line.

perfect ! thanks for the tip Yreka, or should I say: EU-reka ;)

one more question: how do i get into the OSD menu ?

i tried volume- and + with the on button but it doesn't work !

got a call from westinghouse today concerning my pip setting not saving....apparently..they dont save..oh well...and as far as the version # goes 1.0 and 1.5...thats nothing more than a way for them to tell when it was made

ATTN: VGA USERS WITH THE CUT-OFF PROBLEM

I think I found a solution.. this works for me. (I have v1.6 firmware I believe, that's what it says in the system info on the westy menu)

1) Go to the monitor menu that is built into the Westy.
2) Navigate to the 2nd icon down that looks like the laptop with the PC plug going into it.
3) Navigate right to where it says "Auto Adjust: No".
4) Make it say "Auto Adjust: Yes" and hit enter.

This fixed where my edges were being cut off the screen. I hope it helps some of you.

hamm3rhead said:
exactly it's just silly... using something so small for a monitor.. that's why I went for the 42 ;)

OMG I loled. Welcome to the 42 club, I wish I had said something like that. All I said was something like I couldnt find the 37, so I bought the 42 at the store!

Alright, I fixed it. If you go to 'right click -> properties -> settings -> advanced -> Nvidia tab ->Screen Resolutions and Refresh rates -> Advanced Timing' on the desktop, you will see a bunch of numbers and different preset values. To fix my problem, which was the screen being shifted up a few to 5 pixels, all I did was go down the the vertical lines section and where it says "Sync Polarity" I changed it from - to + and it centered correctly. I hope this helps someone.

EnderW said:

I totaly agree it makes no sense unless they are using it for games. I use mine for TV only and it works out just fine. :cool:

[Retaliation] said:
got a call from westinghouse today concerning my pip setting not saving....apparently..they dont save..oh well...and as far as the version # goes 1.0 and 1.5...thats nothing more than a way for them to tell when it was made

So let me see if I understand this explanation correctly.

You asked what the difference between firmware version 1.5 and 1.0 and they told you that there was no difference at all other then them changing the number to mark the time of manufacturing?

(Also there was a 1.6 as well before the 1.0)

W00T !! I got my monitor tonight.. and got it all set up.!!

IT RULES!.. I dont notice any weird backlight bleeding, nor any pixel issues.!

here are the pics.

FLASH OFF
flashoffec2.jpg

FLASH ON
flashonsn1.jpg

at 1920x1080 i would have to say 37 inch or lower for graphics design etc..

I still need to test it out for PS and Illustrator etc... I will post what I think this weekend when I work on some projects.

depends on how far you are sitting from the monitor, if it's a couple of feet, 42" would be fine, if it's 6 inches or less, get something with a lower dot pitch :p

Yes some pics also please of your PS/Dreamweaver or whatever you use would be great. I ordered this as well thought it would be great for that :). At least I hope so hehe, if not could always hang it in my bedroom for a nice TV, damn wife keeps bugging me.

TigzStudio said:
W00T !! I got my monitor tonight.. and got it all set up.!!

IT RULES!.. I dont notice any weird backlight bleeding, nor any pixel issues.!

here are the pics.
Is that an Acer 22" next to it, or...? It's muuuuuch dimmer. Beautiful pics! I love how you can play X360 games in PIP :cool: *ready to grab wallet*

Rhyno said:
So let me see if I understand this explanation correctly.

You asked what the difference between firmware version 1.5 and 1.0 and they told you that there was no difference at all other then them changing the number to mark the time of manufacturing?

(Also there was a 1.6 as well before the 1.0)
yup...thats what she said

Back