Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Is it just me, or does a Geforce 2 GTS do a better job with AA than the PS3?

oh god. I've read every single page of this thread and about to pull the trigger. It's my first semester in college and I have about 2000 dollars saved up. Please give me something to not have me buy this. I'm using a 22" westy right now. Does anyone have a chart where they can compare the size of the two? I was just accepted for a newegg preferred with 6 months NO INTEREST. And the set only costs 999+ 60 3day guarenteed shipping. I really need to save my money for something big and awesome but are we on the horizon of new display technologies that will bring the price of this down soon or no? *drools* size chart needed!!

oh god. I've read every single page of this thread and about to pull the trigger. It's my first semester in college and I have about 2000 dollars saved up. Please give me something to not have me buy this. I'm using a 22" westy right now. Does anyone have a chart where they can compare the size of the two? I was just accepted for a newegg preferred with 6 months NO INTEREST. And the set only costs 999+ 60 3day guarenteed shipping. I really need to save my money for something big and awesome but are we on the horizon of new display technologies that will bring the price of this down soon or no? *drools* size chart needed!!

there's plenty of pics that have 22 inch monitors and even 24 inch monitors beside this 37. 37 dwarfs all. i don't know how much cheaper it will make it but its a possiblity of being phased out when new displays come out, as is the case with all hardware. i'd say get it! :)

and u have 2 grand, go dual 37's ;) :D

there's plenty of pics that have 22 inch monitors and even 24 inch monitors beside this 37. 37 dwarfs all. i don't know how much cheaper it will make it but its a possiblity of being phased out when new displays come out, as is the case with all hardware. i'd say get it! :)

and u have 2 grand, go dual 37's ;) :D

I took my two grand and built a new pc and bought a westy. This thing is insane as a pc monitor. I have mine wall mounted in my office.

Well it I've officially gone HD.
my 37" 1080p Westinghouse came in yesterday, it's almost perfect. (one stuck green pixel near the bottom, but it's not really noticeable)

Join the club, I got a stuck red pixel, called up their support and the guy was a complete dick about it, alls I wanted was to know if there's anything to do for it (since you know, the pixel aint actually dead you know?)

Pisses me off..

The LVM 37W3 still isn't available in Canada, truth? [Disclaimer - shipping over the border does not count.]

How disappointing. My igloo shall be barren for some time it seems. If someone can correct this assertation, I would most appreciative...

Beh. My post was irrelevant.

I am teh suck.

I still have that damnable stuck red pixel too.

Got my westy.. and all I can say is...jesus this thing makes baby jesus cry. It is amazing. I got no stuck/dead pixels.

The quality is amazing. Now to look into getting a TV tuner card, and getting sound from my computer ran through my denon reciever and polk surround sound.

i ask again, is this thing good as a bedroom TV instead of a PC monitor?

i ask again, is this thing good as a bedroom TV instead of a PC monitor?

No Offense but if you are just buying this for a bedroom TV and never intend on hooking up a PC or a gaming system then you are wasting your time and money.

This monitor excels over the so called "high end sets" at being a PC monitor and a great gaming system and its picture quality is comparable to those sets for HDTV viewing. However it does not have some of the "higher end" TV watching capabilities like a built in tuner, zoom features, also it is limited only to a "standard" and "fill" option as where other brands will have stretch, zoom, natural wide, letterbox etc.

The biggest complaint is in "standard" mode it shows every single pixel of the broadcast which is fine for HDTV viewing however some SDTV viewing you will see the top few lines of the broadcast which appear to be garbage because this is the band the closed captioning is broadcasted on.

Buy a plasma 720p set and call it good. No sense in wasting the extra money on this monitor if you only intend to *yawn* watch TV.

**I don't mean *yawn* as an insult, I just think its terrible to overlook the strengths of this monitor**

No Offense but if you are just buying this for a bedroom TV and never intend on hooking up a PC or a gaming system then you are wasting your time and money.

This monitor excels over the so called "high end sets" at being a PC monitor and a great gaming system and its picture quality is comparable to those sets for HDTV viewing. However it does not have some of the "higher end" TV watching capabilities like a built in tuner, zoom features, also it is limited only to a "standard" and "fill" option as where other brands will have stretch, zoom, natural wide, letterbox etc.

The biggest complaint is in "standard" mode it shows every single pixel of the broadcast which is fine for HDTV viewing however some SDTV viewing you will see the top few lines of the broadcast which appear to be garbage because this is the band the closed captioning is broadcasted on.

Buy a plasma 720p set and call it good. No sense in wasting the extra money on this monitor if you only intend to *yawn* watch TV.

**I don't mean *yawn* as an insult, I just think its terrible to overlook the strengths of this monitor**

well, i also plan to game on it (xbox360, ps2, gamecube), but i already have a lcd for my pc.
So i was just looking into something to replace my dead tv.

I also dont plan to discard PC gaming on this thing, but for all intents and purposes am looking for a tv replacement.

Just an update, got mine last Friday and it shipped with 1.80 firmware - figured someone out there might like to know that.

Ordered it from Newegg for 999 + 60 ship, and they threw in a "cheesy" little picture frame, too! :D

well, i also plan to game on it (xbox360, ps2, gamecube), but i already have a lcd for my pc.
So i was just looking into something to replace my dead tv.

I also dont plan to discard PC gaming on this thing, but for all intents and purposes am looking for a tv replacement.

If you're going to use just those 3 systems, it's a toss up then. The only system that would get a benefit out of the 37W3 is the 360 the other 2 are (at best) 480p. So in that respect a cheap 720p 32 or 37 would do just fine Like the previous poster said. IF you do use the HD DVD add on for the 360 then That would be a yes to the 37W3. If you're without a doubt going to throw your computer into the mix then I'd say go for it.

Simply put:
  • 360+PS2+GC=NO
  • 360 HD DVD Addon= Yes
  • Computer at all=Yes

Hope that helps.

Just got 2 Westys and my dream tv yesterday Sharp Aquos LC-52D92U 52" 1080P - $3400 on this set from them is Freaking awesome, Went to ABT here in Illinios and they Price Matched the Westys from Newegg, I really want to hook up my PC to the Sharp but i got no room until my new house is built, I have a Dual Link DVI cable and i just found out it wont plug into the Westy, the extra pins wont allow it to work so i gotta run off to the store for a Regular DVI cable :(

Got my westy.. and all I can say is...jesus this thing makes baby jesus cry. It is amazing. I got no stuck/dead pixels.

The quality is amazing. Now to look into getting a TV tuner card, and getting sound from my computer ran through my denon reciever and polk surround sound.

Which TV tuner card is one of the better ones?

I have a Dual Link DVI cable and i just found out it wont plug into the Westy, the extra pins wont allow it to work so i gotta run off to the store for a Regular DVI cable :(
DL-DVI-D will work on the Westy, thou serve no purpose that a SL-DVI-D will be able to. The cable u have is probably a DL-DVI-I which has extra 4 pins more than a DL-DVI-D

to be completely honest, if it's your FIRST year in college, $2000 won't last the entire year if you don't get a job also... I suggest you save your money. Your 22" LCD isn't small in any way... I have a 37" hdtv, 32" hdtv, 24" dell 2405fpw, and two 20" widescreen LCD... I'll be honest, I love the big screens, but I can definitely live with my 24" dell if i had to... even the 20"...

Save your money... if you get a job, then get it when the price drops a bit... it's very dumb to spend over half of your SAVINGS on one thing... when you already have a 22" which isn't the worst thing ever... just trying to be mature about it, so i hope i don't offend you... i know from experience... my 1st yr of college my savings went from $4600 to $2100... and mom&dad paid for my txt books, tuition, cafeteria plan, and room/board...

you're gonna want to have $$ in the bank for when you "have a good time"... one big screen isn't worth giving all that up...

to be completely honest, if it's your FIRST year in college, $2000 won't last the entire year if you don't get a job also... I suggest you save your money. Your 22" LCD isn't small in any way... I have a 37" hdtv, 32" hdtv, 24" dell 2405fpw, and two 20" widescreen LCD... I'll be honest, I love the big screens, but I can definitely live with my 24" dell if i had to... even the 20"...

Save your money... if you get a job, then get it when the price drops a bit... it's very dumb to spend over half of your SAVINGS on one thing... when you already have a 22" which isn't the worst thing ever... just trying to be mature about it, so i hope i don't offend you... i know from experience... my 1st yr of college my savings went from $4600 to $2100... and mom&dad paid for my txt books, tuition, cafeteria plan, and room/board...

you're gonna want to have $$ in the bank for when you "have a good time"... one big screen isn't worth giving all that up...

Don't worry I'm not offended at all. I'm still working at my job (movie theaters are great places to work in), and I commute to college.(I make on average 130 a week). It's just that I've seen how 37 inches looks up close and it's amazing. I've been thinking about it and I cant really think of any games that really utilize this screen to the max. Maybe later this year (Stalker, Bioshock, Crysis, HELLGATE LONDON: (YES!!!). I can settle for now without one.. but I did convince a coworker to buy one, im on the phone with him right now helping him with the checkout.

I have to agree with the advice not to spend half your college savings on a TV. Even if you have a part time job. I hate to be a downer, but wait until you're out of college and have a steady job.

Ryan

If a mod reads this, could we please have a sticky for this thread?

Almost at 3000 posts. Kinda seems popular enough to justify it.

I've posted this as a separate topic and after 40 views, not a single reply. So I'll try it here since we're on the topic of Westighouse and 1080P. Someone please answer these.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. Please take it easy if I don't follow the rules or can't find the answers that were previously posted 1000 times. So what's the latest with Westinghouse and gaming?

I purchased a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 mainly for gaming. (XBOX 360 and PS3). These are my current issues:

1. PS3. As most of us already know, all HDMI Westinghouse models suffer from the handshaking issue. Pretty common knowlege. As of last week, with Westinghouse tech support, there is still no fix for this. I have version 1.0 firmware and they do not send out updates. The only solution is DVI. Can anyone confirm if there is infact a fix to the handshaking issue with HDMI cabling. Please confirm this if you actually applied the fix. If so, how can I get my hands on it? Unplugging the cable is not a fix.

2. XBOX 360. I've gone the route of using VGA on this to get the best possible resolution. On the XBOX I have a couple of options. The first is to set it to 1080P. Done. No problem. The second is to choose the resolution 1900x1080. Unfortunately, when I do this, the display gets gut off and is about 20% off-center to the right. I tried to adjust on the monitor menu but nothing happens. Is this a common issue? If I set the XBOX to 1280X720 it fills the screen fine but at only 720P. How to I actually get the 1080P setting to display properly? I'll take a picture later tonight.

I've posted this as a separate topic and after 40 views, not a single reply. So I'll try it here since we're on the topic of Westighouse and 1080P. Someone please answer these.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. Please take it easy if I don't follow the rules or can't find the answers that were previously posted 1000 times. So what's the latest with Westinghouse and gaming?

I purchased a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 mainly for gaming. (XBOX 360 and PS3). These are my current issues:

1. PS3. As most of us already know, all HDMI Westinghouse models suffer from the handshaking issue. Pretty common knowlege. As of last week, with Westinghouse tech support, there is still no fix for this. I have version 1.0 firmware and they do not send out updates. The only solution is DVI. Can anyone confirm if there is infact a fix to the handshaking issue with HDMI cabling. Please confirm this if you actually applied the fix. If so, how can I get my hands on it? Unplugging the cable is not a fix.

2. XBOX 360. I've gone the route of using VGA on this to get the best possible resolution. On the XBOX I have a couple of options. The first is to set it to 1080P. Done. No problem. The second is to choose the resolution 1900x1080. Unfortunately, when I do this, the display gets gut off and is about 20% off-center to the right. I tried to adjust on the monitor menu but nothing happens. Is this a common issue? If I set the XBOX to 1280X720 it fills the screen fine but at only 720P. How to I actually get the 1080P setting to display properly? I'll take a picture later tonight.

The handshake issue with the PS3 is not the tv's fault it is a problem with the PS3, sony should be coming out with another firmware update at the end of this month or so that will fix the issue.

XBOX 360. I've gone the route of using VGA on this to get the best possible resolution. On the XBOX I have a couple of options. The first is to set it to 1080P. Done. No problem. The second is to choose the resolution 1900x1080. Unfortunately, when I do this, the display gets gut off and is about 20% off-center to the right. I tried to adjust on the monitor menu but nothing happens. Is this a common issue? If I set the XBOX to 1280X720 it fills the screen fine but at only 720P. How to I actually get the 1080P setting to display properly? I'll take a picture later tonight.

This I don't understand at all. Maybe you need to download an update on your XBox 360 because my option is the correct 1920x1080 resolution and I have no problems with screen centering at all.

I am looking for a new desk for my Westy 37 and have decided to get the Ikea Jerker as many of you allready have this desk. Does anyone know anywhere else to buy it besides from Ikea? They are not shipping it from their site and I don't have one near by. Any info would be great. Sorry if this is off topic.

This I don't understand at all. Maybe you need to download an update on your XBox 360 because my option is the correct 1920x1080 resolution and I have no problems with screen centering at all.

yup exactly...i can do 1080p via component

I often see the Ikea Jerker on craigslist. Try the one in your area. I see it in all 3 colors, sometimes with extra shelves and things, usually for between $25-100.

1080p via component would have to be due to some kind of monitor upscaling. The 360 only outputs 1080p through the VGA to my understanding. Even that is with the system update from a few months ago. I don't think there ever was another update for component.

I have the latest update on the XBOX 360, v2.0.4552.0. I think it's the latest version. XBOX live is not telling me to update. Is there another version that I can apply manually?

I'm using VGA and receive the 1900X1080 option in the setup menu. When I choose this the screen shifts to the right and I can't adjust it from the TV menu. It's strange. I don't have this problem with the lower settings.

I can call Westinghouse but knowing their reputation, they will deny any knowlege of this and always blame the console companies.

As for the PS3 handshaking, I'll wait for the next PS3 patch, although I doubt it will fix the issue. I have another TV, Sony, and I don't have this handshaking problem.

Odd, I have the 47 Westy 1080p and have no problems running via VGA centered. Have you tried the auto adjust feature, there should also be adjustments with phase etc for VGA use.

Has anyone played a gamecube on this via componet? Just curious, when i finally get my tax returns i plan on finally buying one. It will be mainly my computer monitor.

1080p via component would have to be due to some kind of monitor upscaling. The 360 only outputs 1080p through the VGA to my understanding. Even that is with the system update from a few months ago. I don't think there ever was another update for component.

No, The 360 Does 1080p Via Component for Games only. It'll only do Upscaled DVDs and HD DVD Playback @ 1080p with VGA.

Has anyone played a gamecube on this via componet? Just curious, when i finally get my tax returns i plan on finally buying one. It will be mainly my computer monitor.
I played GameCube games via the Wii and they are passable. The 480i is pretty bad and the 480p is passable. 720p and 1080p is really where the monitor shines.

Back