Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I have a 8800GTX and I get great performance across the board with this monitor at the native resolution. Since you have the same card, you'll probably be in the same boat. That's not to say that you may not have to adjust some settings depending on the game, but the 8800GTX is a very powerful card. I had no problems at 1920x1200 on my 2407FP, so this display is actually less demanding in terms of hardware performance. My CPU is also at the same speed as yours - you're not using my computer while I'm at work are you? lol

Im sure this has already been discussed before, but this is a massive thread. I've got a pretty fast rig but this monitor uses a really high res. Do you guys just run games at the native res of 1920x1080 and then turn down the AA or what? I'm interested in getting this monitor but not if my PC gaming is going to suffer in terms of FPS. I dont have a problem turning down the AA if that means I can game on such a big screen and keep the FPS I'm getting right now on my 22". Currently I can run most games at 1680x1050 with 16xAA and 16x AF and get great performance. My system is in my sig.

Yeah men, look at your system. It's a beast. Your rig will tear up games at 1080p resolution for now. I mean, I played Lineage 2 at 1080p max detail, UT2004 max,and FEAR at medium. All of that with my current setup, and in 1920x1080. So yeah, you can definitely run games just fine. The resolution difference is not that big. The only problem right now is that all games don't support 1080p yet, but that's about it.

so does anyne have the SE eddition with an older card like the 7800GT that was able to get it running in progressive mode?

Mine is detected as the W4207 and I have been unable to succesfully detect this monitor properly. I'd hate to return a perfectly good screen if there is nothing wron g with it but right now I'm pretty upset I cannot get it working.

I have the newest Forceware driver 94.24. Someone please help!

aaah aaaaaaaaahh

shipij1.png

wahoooo. Went home for lunch praying Mr. UPS would show up.... and HE DID!!

Yay. Scary thing is he just knocked and left it there. Thank goodness I was home or there would have been a 37" TV sitting outside my apartment for 5 hours.

Hooked it up and it's HUUUUGE!

If anyone is having problems getting it to display 1080p, go to your monitor properties, and uncheck the box that says hide modes this monitor cannot display. You'll then see 60Hz as an option and apply that.

Worked for me at least (7800GT)

i ordered mine the same day and its still in process, DAMMIT!!!!!

that is awful. you will probably get the shipping confirmation today. i might not even get mine today since i have to work in 1 hour and my family is going to the beach so im crossing my fingers he shows up real soon. if he just leaves it there its going to be out there for a while...like 6 hours, i live in a nice neighborhood though, not that that matters THAT much.

Ohhhh.. you have the se model.. see if you can get an .inf file for it from Westinghouse, and manually add the device with that file.. I get the drivers just don't know what it is because it's so new.. or maybe try and force is an LVM-37W3 (non se) ?

edit: ok, here you go

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10793729&&#post10793729

L:eek:oks like they have the same problem and cannot get it to work either. Westinghouse says it's a problem with Nvidia drivers. They suggest I buy a new video card (AIT I Guess). Not really an acceptable solution there!

I think the underlaying issue is that the screen is detected as the W4207.
Hence the card is telling the monitor that it is interlaced locking it in interlaced mode.
Since the drivers are set to progressive anyways, the screen fills out Horizontaly but not verticaly.
If I go into custom timings and Force interlaced the screen fills in fine but it looks terrrible was you move around etc.

If only there was a way to FORCE the right monitor or at least FORCE 1080p on the screen then the problem should go away. Unfortunately there is no way to do so. So the only solution is then to return the Monitor or Buy a new ATI card.

The user on the other forum says that there is no way to use manual settings in the new Nvidia controll panel. There is this is where I manualy set them! I will investigate changing back to classic and trying from there next.

IT WORKS! YOU HAVE TO GO IN THROUGH THE CLASSIC CONTROLL PANEL! AND JUST SELECT THE PREDEFINED 1920x1080p. IF YOU USE THE NVIDIA CONTROLL PANEL AND DEFINE YOU OWN PROFILE UNDER MANUAL TIMINGS AND DO THE SAME, IT WILL NOT WORK!

L:eek:oks like they have the same problem and cannot get it to work either. Westinghouse says it's a problem with Nvidia drivers. They suggest I buy a new video card (AIT I Guess). Not really an acceptable solution there!

I think the underlaying issue is that the screen is detected as the W4207.
Hence the card is telling the monitor that it is interlaced locking it in interlaced mode.
Since the drivers are set to progressive anyways, the screen fills out Horizontaly but not verticaly.
If I go into custom timings and Force interlaced the screen fills in fine but it looks terrrible was you move around etc.

If only there was a way to FORCE the right monitor or at least FORCE 1080p on the screen then the problem should go away. Unfortunately there is no way to do so. So the only solution is then to return the Monitor or Buy a new ATI card.

I don't know why it is so complicated to you guys to setup proper 1920x1080, just go to Properties and adjust it to 1920x1080 and click on Advance and set your refresh rate 60z, why do you even bother going to nVidia driver to set resolution, serious I hardly need to go to nVidia driver to setup anything in there except trying to mess around w/ AF stuff

I don't know why it is so complicated to you guys to setup proper 1920x1080, just go to Properties and adjust it to 1920x1080 and click on Advance and set your refresh rate 60z, why do you even bother going to nVidia driver to set resolution, serious I hardly need to go to nVidia driver to setup anything in there except trying to mess around w/ AF stuff

Beacause the new version of the monitor is not detected properly. So when you set it to 1920x1080 60 htz it just stretches the image horizontaly and the screen itself remains locked in 1920x1080i. It's not as easy as it sounds for some of us in this situation. This is only an issue for those with the NEW SE version using the new forceware drivers.

Beacause the new version of the monitor is not detected properly. So when you set it to 1920x1080 60 htz it just stretches the image horizontaly and the screen itself remains locked in 1920x1080i. This is only an issue for those with the NEW SE version using the new forceware drivers.

I have 37w3se model and I had Dell 24" that I previous used and swapped out for 37w3se w/o shut down my computer :) so it looks kinda weird at 1920x1200 so I restart my computer to let my system detect my new monitor, after loaded in the Windows then I go to Properties and adjust 1920x1080 and click Apply :) double check by click on the remote control icon "i" displayed "Main: DVI, res 1920x1080p" that simple!

I have 37w3se model and I had Dell 24" that I previous used and swapped out for 37w3se w/o shut down my computer :) so it looks kinda weird at 1920x1200 so I restart my computer to let my system detect my new monitor, after loaded in the Windows then I go to Properties and adjust 1920x1080 and click Apply :) double check by click on the remote control icon "i" displayed "Main: DVI, res 1920x1080p" that simple!

It is not for everyone, I removed and re-installed drivers 3 times I selected 1920x1080 all that yadada yadda; you have to make a custom profile to to it to detect correctly. The whole issue is that the Monitor is NOT detected correctly and the monitor locks into 1080i (can be displayed using the remote) rather than 1080p. Even if you force the drivers to go into progressive, the monitor stays locked at 1080i and stretches the screen verticaly. If it worked for you you were lucky plain and simple. What drivers are you using? Believe me I would not have wasted 10hours trying to get my monitor to go into 1080p if it were as simple as you say.

LCDs don't have a refresh rate. If you're asking what refresh rate to set it to in your driver, it's 60hz. If you're asking what the how quick it can cycle pixels, it's 8ms.

Actually 8ms would mean a 125hz refresh rate. Remember to convert time into frequency... Either way that 125hz seems to high.

8ms ^ -1
or 1/8ms

Basically what I was trying to find out was, whats the maxium FPS I'm gonna be able to get with Vsync on. My 22" gateway can only do 60hz so I'm limited to 60fps with Vsync on. If the 37W3 can do more than 60fps with Vsync on, then thats a plus.

It is not for everyone, I removed and re-installed drivers 3 times I selected 1920x1080 all that yadada yadda; you have to make a custom profile to to it to detect correctly. The whole issue is that the Monitor is NOT detected correctly and the monitor locks into 1080i rather than 1080p. Even if you force the drivers to go into progressive, the monitor stays locked at 1080i and stretches the screen verticaly. If it worked for you you were lucky plain and simple. What drivers are you using? Believe me I would not have wasted 10hours trying to get my monitor to go into 1080p if it were as simple as you say.

this has nothing to do with luck, I always try to use latest driver if that doesn't work out for you then try to use some previous drivers and if you think your monitor is to blame then call Costco to exchange another one, or try using another display that capable up to 1920x1080 and if that works then you know your video card is fine

60Hz will likely be the default but like most LCD panels it should be able to be forced up to 75Hz without issue. Use Powerstrip to enforce refresh rates if NVIDIA/ATI CP's don't work. Then again I probably won't have mine to test this for another 2-3 weeks, so I'm just guessing. But my laptop LCD (1920x1200) can be forced to run at 75Hz without issue (and for months on end).

Basically what I was trying to find out was, whats the maxium FPS I'm gonna be able to get with Vsync on. My 22" gateway can only do 60hz so I'm limited to 60fps with Vsync on. If the 37W3 can do more than 60fps with Vsync on, then thats a plus.

LCDs shouldn't be set higher than 60hz. They don't "refresh" like CRTs do. Unfortunately, few games take this into consideration, so just turn Vsync off.

Well, despite all the scare yesterday it looks like my Westy has made its way onto the truck. I'll take some pics when/if it gets here.

LCDs shouldn't be set higher than 60hz. They don't "refresh" like CRTs do. Unfortunately, few games take this into consideration, so just turn Vsync off.
Actually most LCDs accept refresh rates up to 75. While it's true that LCD's don't refresh in the same manner that CRTs do, the effect of changing the refresh rate on any display is the number of frames per second the video card sends to the display irregardless of the current 3D mode framerate (it will send multiple identical frames if the rendering framerate is below the refresh rate). I personally can tell the difference between a 60 and 75 Hz refresh rate on both of my LCDs and I know of a lot of people who absolutely can't stand a 60 Hz refresh rate. The Windows desktop runs at your refresh rate, so if your refresh rate is 60Hz, your desktop is getting updated 60 times a second, but if you bump it up to 75, you might notice your mouse responding more rapidly and fluidly (though admittedly it is subtle for most people). It's the same with games, especially rapid-input/twitch games like Quake, hardcore gamers can feel the difference between 60 and 75.

Checked the Conn's website and it says that the Westy is available for local delivery in my zipcode. I'm gonna call the store I know of in town and see if they have it in the store. Thatd be awesome. Price is $999. Not bad..

Perhaps UPS hackers have erased the past few days of posts to cover their tracks.

LOL.

Finaly got the second screen to show up as 1080p. The regular trick would not work for the second one. I got it to work by getting one screen to detect as 1080p (other was detecting as 1080i) then I swapped the input's on the video card and turned the 1080i screen back on and it came up as 1080p, then I plugged the origional monitor back on without turning it off and it finaly registered as 1080p as well. Took a couple hours to figure this out but its finaly "set in" and I have rebooted several times now without problems.

When using the oritional trick to turn the second screen to 1080p the interlaced checkbox would automaticaly re-check itself automaticaly. Also my computer crashed several times while playing with options. There are some serious issue sin the Nvidia Drivers...

I DID NOTICE ONE ISSUE.
Both of my displays are brighter on the right hand side than the left. it is most noticable when using a white screen like MS word. I actualy did not notice untill I had the second screen hooked up. When I drag a window to the center (split between the 2) you can see that the right hand side of the new screen has twice the contrast as the old one.

Upon further examination, both sceens have brighter whites on the right hand side. (Although it is much harder to notice if you only have one Westy because the transition is smooth from left to right and hell you would think maybe it's just the viewing angle etc..). Can someone else verify this as well? pretty sure they will all be like this since Both of mine are. It's almsot like 1200 to 1 contrast on the right hand side and 900 on the left.

Also my mouse seems Really Lagged in Quake Wars beta, is this becaus eof the 60 htz maximum?

Has anyone used a spyder to calibrate the monitor and get the best possible display? Was there a noticable difference?

I got my spyder a week ago or so, but haven't had the oppurtunity to reply here with my results. Definitely a lot of improvements, especially with flesh tones over the out of the box defaults with Vista's default color profile. Overall it definitely makes for a nicer (albeit seemingly slightly reddish) image.

The difference was a bit more dramatic on my laptop's LCD running Vista.

Overall, there's definitely a noticable difference before and after. I'd take pictures, but I don't have a tripod for my camera, and my camera skills suck, so they wouldn't accurately portray the color difference. If your crazy about accurate colors and can't calibrate it yourself for crap (like myself), than its a pretty decent investment, especially for $60. If you've got good eyes for proper color tone and what not, you can probably do most of what the Spyder2Express does by hand.

Got my SE from Costco last week.

Absolutely flawless, no sub pixel defects, screen is bright and uniform with no streaking, etc.

It does appear brighter on the edges sometimes, but thats due to how close I am sitting when I'm leaning on my desk and the viewing angle difference between the center and the edges being different. If I sit back about a foot further it evens out.

The only issue I have is the auto detection of W4207 and 1080i, took some playing around and repeating things to get it to go to 1080p.

Another also minor issue is legacy text modes show up like they are stretched to 16:9 but only the 4:3 portion shows, resulting in several columns of text cut off on both sides. This affects BIOS, POST, XP logo, full screen command prompt, etc. This only occurs with the DVI and HDMI port, VGA shows up correctly as 4:3 with no stretching or clipping. Before the SE I had a non-SE that I had to return due to an entire row of bad pixels. I used the left hand side solo DVI port and text modes scaled correctly without clipping while the port next to the HDMI on the non-SE did the same thing. So I'm sure it's the display.

Can anyone else confirm if this is an issue with the display or the video card? I'd rather it be the video card as I usually upgrade that twice a year, but I plan to keep this display for a long time. It's not a big deal, as I can fall back to VGA if I need to run anything fullscreen in text mode but it's still something that bugs me as being only 99.9999% perfect heh.

I called Westinghouse because my component inputs are RIDICULOUSLY bright and washed out. They want to set up a RMA. I don't even know how to begin shipping this thing.

Got my SE from Costco last week.

Absolutely flawless, no sub pixel defects, screen is bright and uniform with no streaking, etc.

It does appear brighter on the edges sometimes, but thats due to how close I am sitting when I'm leaning on my desk and the viewing angle difference between the center and the edges being different. If I sit back about a foot further it evens out.

The only issue I have is the auto detection of W4207 and 1080i, took some playing around and repeating things to get it to go to 1080p.

Another also minor issue is legacy text modes show up like they are stretched to 16:9 but only the 4:3 portion shows, resulting in several columns of text cut off on both sides. This affects BIOS, POST, XP logo, full screen command prompt, etc. This only occurs with the DVI and HDMI port, VGA shows up correctly as 4:3 with no stretching or clipping. Before the SE I had a non-SE that I had to return due to an entire row of bad pixels. I used the left hand side solo DVI port and text modes scaled correctly without clipping while the port next to the HDMI on the non-SE did the same thing. So I'm sure it's the display.

Can anyone else confirm if this is an issue with the display or the video card? I'd rather it be the video card as I usually upgrade that twice a year, but I plan to keep this display for a long time. It's not a big deal, as I can fall back to VGA if I need to run anything fullscreen in text mode but it's still something that bugs me as being only 99.9999% perfect heh.

What was the amount of time between placing the order and getting it to your door?

I noticed something weird about my SE model... adjusting the 'backlight' option doesn't actually do anything. Has anyone noticed this, or is this some sort of defect? The 'brightness' option works though.

The backlight option on my SE works just fine. I've got it at 0. 100 was ridiculous. Still tweaking and deciding whether or not I want to keep mine, but it is definitely big and bright!

The backlight option on my SE works just fine. I've got it at 0. 100 was ridiculous. Still tweaking and deciding whether or not I want to keep mine, but it is definitely big and bright!

awww crap, that means it might be defective on my model... arrrrrrrgh

Hello guys.. I'm ready to buy this item and I just want to know if most of the people that bought this TV from Costco with the new SE model have the same driver issue with Nvidia. I have an XPS M1710 and uses an Nvidia card which will be connected to this Monitor when i get it.

I just dont want to spend 10hours of troubleshooting like the other guy here just to get it work properly on 1080p res. That's a nightmare...

TV came and everything went fine. I got the SE and all I had to do was set my res through the normal control panel (not nvidia's). A friend and I are playing Forza right now.

Back