Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

It's minor, but I just wanted to post how much I hate that the VGA is labeled as "PC" on the remote. So I have to remember that "PC" is my Xbox360 and DVI1 is my PC.

How do you guys send the audio signal from the TV to lets say a z-5500 logitech speakers which have optical and coax in ? and when the westy 37w3 only has line (RCA) out ? In regards, i only have the wii (component) and comcast (HDMI) connected up to the 37w3.

How do you guys send the audio signal from the TV to lets say a z-5500 logitech speakers which have optical and coax in ? and when the westy 37w3 only has line (RCA) out ? In regards, i only have the wii (component) and comcast (HDMI) connected up to the 37w3.

Dude your pics are what convinced me the Logitecs would work with the Westy. you mean they are sitting there not hooked up lol

Dude your pics are what convinced me the Logitecs would work with the Westy. you mean they are sitting there not hooked up lol

Yeah.. not at the moment =/. The z-5500's center console only had coax/optical in and I will check the comcast box to see whether it has either of those out. The speakers are hooked up to my PC though, which is awesome for watching DVD's and watching HD material :)

Yeah.. not at the moment =/. The z-5500's center console only had coax/optical in and I will check the comcast box to see whether it has either of those out. The speakers are hooked up to my PC though, which is awesome for watching DVD's and watching HD material :)

There is no S/Pdif input? I read that the 5500's had like 6 inputs I just could not find what they were.

There is no S/Pdif input? I read that the 5500's had like 6 inputs I just could not find what they were.

Optical is spdif if i am not mistaken.. anyway, the comcast box i have (motorola, DVR) also has the optical spdif connector, so i could just go directly, but of course, the issue is the westy doesn't have it.

console.jpg

spdif should be written as S/PDIF and stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format and can come in 3 connector types: RCA (coaxial), TOSLINK (optical), and BNC. More info on it here.

Sure I am putting in my Crankworks 4 mil longrod crank this saterday, but won't have my cheata cub cylinders untill the shop ports them (Cases are split right now). Lots of work ahead but it should be fun since it's not a car! lol. Mines a 2000 but everything has been replaced except some hubs, few bolts and the steering stem and CDI/Ignition. Just put it on a new 05 or 06 frame (Red one) last season. They are money pits just like computers, but at least the parts don't become worthless unless you break them :)

http://www.bansheehq.com if your a forum junky, planetsand is excelent as well.

Wow... I haven't done too much to mine, not nearly as much as you... I'm a gym rat so I don't have much time to do anything but go to work, work out, or spend time with my gf and fam... hopefully someday soon thuogh!!! thx!!

I don't plug sound into the Westy. The 360 and PS3 connects directly to the Z-5500 via optical and my PC connects via the 3 jacks (forgot what they are called). Only thing I have plugged into the Westinghouse for sound is my Wii.

Thanks for the thoughts, justintoxicated.. unfortunately, though, I don't believe it's that

mine does identify as LVM-37W3

it does not cut off text at post level.

it's str8 up blurry and under scanned with the newer drivers. 152's work great. no manual changes needed. go to newer? and bang..afu

*shakes an angry fist at nvidia*

So..it seems, anonuser and I are the only ones with this?

i still can't figure out how to use dual monitors, 1 19" and this 37".... they keep trying to force the same resolution on each other.

Thanks for the thoughts, justintoxicated.. unfortunately, though, I don't believe it's that

mine does identify as LVM-37W3

it does not cut off text at post level.

it's str8 up blurry and under scanned with the newer drivers. 152's work great. no manual changes needed. go to newer? and bang..afu

*shakes an angry fist at nvidia*

So..it seems, anonuser and I are the only ones with this?

Here are my emails with Nvidia support:

First:
I understand that you have GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card with the driver 163.44 and Windows Vista operating system. You have connected a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 HD monitor to the graphics card. You are having difficulty in resizing the Desktop since updating the graphics card driver to the driver version 163.44. You did not have any difficulty with the earlier driver.

We are sorry this is a known issue and our Development team is working on this. If a solution is found, it shall be fixed in future release drivers.

At this time we do not yet have a firm release date for the updated driver.

Second:
I am sorry for the confusion.

The issue with the feature for resizing the desktop is a known issue with all the Vista drivers. Our development team is working on this and as informed earlier, if a solution is found shall be fixed in the future release drivers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If ANYONE reading this thread has an 8000 series card with a LVM-37W3 and the newest drivers PLEASE respond. I am seriously considering selling this monitor to a friend (at a $400 loss) and buying the new 42" model. Main problem is that at 3ft away I'm not sure if the 42" will just be too big for PC use.

Weird. I have a 8800GTX, Vista Ultimate x64, and a Westy. The resize works just fine.

Nonuser, I've read posts by Nvidia card owners who owned 1080P Sharp 37" & 32" tv's--------complaining about wierd TV problems when they "upgraded to Vista".
But when they went back to XP, their tv's began working normally again.
Some guru posted a comment about that ....."Vista is a box of bugs and will be till MS releases Service Pack#1"
Many Vista owners have lucked out, and their Nvidias and 1080P tv's have no problems.
Summary: Vista is presently a crap shoot. Consider all this before u dump yer Westy cuz it might not be the culprit. Good luck.

So, I decided to get a refurbed w3 from ecost for $680, and it just came yesterday:

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=37623076

It looks like I'm having a bit of a problem with some green 'ghosting'. Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm thinking I will be sending this back to ecost in the next couple of days.

greenghosting.jpg

edit: NOOO!!! Just saw the $580 refurbed deal from pcconnection.... SONUVA

Green ghosting? I can't even tell by that picture what I'm looking at lol.

Sometimes odd color patches show up when you have the contrast way too high, especially from computer sources when watching a video.

If you know it isn't the contrast, you probably got a bad display and need to send it back. Check all your cabling and do a reset before anything. Try unplugging it for 20 mins and trying again too.

So, I decided to get a refurbed w3 from ecost for $680, and it just came yesterday:

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=37623076

It looks like I'm having a bit of a problem with some green 'ghosting'. Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm thinking I will be sending this back to ecost in the next couple of days.

greenghosting.jpg

edit: NOOO!!! Just saw the $580 refurbed deal from pcconnection.... SONUVA
zoomed out pic, do u have one? need to see the whole thing to get it.

i've seen some video crackling too. but thats when i have too many things open and the vid card gets kinda warm from running ati tool ;)

Opeth is yours a W3 ? Your 8800, what version are the drivers?
Nonuser, I've read posts by Nvidia card owners who owned 1080P Sharp 37" & 32" tv's--------complaining about crappy TV performance or wierd problems when they "upgraded to Vista".
But when they went back to XP, their tv's began working normally again.
Some guru posted a comment, like....."I'm not surprised your trouble disappeared when u went back to XP, cuz Vista is a box of bugs and will be till MS releases Service Pack#1"
On the other hand, Nonuser, some Vista owners have lucked out, and theit Nvidia cards and 1080P tv's have no problems.
Summary: From what I've heard n' read around the Web, Vista is a crap shoot. So, you might wanna think long and hard about all this, before u dumper yer Westy. Good luck.

I have no issues whatsoever with the older Forceware drivers. It's not Vista, it's Nvidia's drivers. Right now im on Vista 32bit w/the 152 release and I have no problems whatsoever. If I switch to any newer release the image is underscanned and blurry.

I don't want to dump the Westinghouse, I love it. But being stuck with old drivers for the life of my card doesn't sound to great to me either.

And honestly, Vista is a great operating system if you have 2gb of ram... I much prefer it to XP.

Yeah I just bought it for 580 also...It seems like the price fluctuated throughout the day. At first it was 650 shipped,a nd then it was like 690 shipped it was including tax, and then I just checked my cart and it said 580 with free shipping so I couldn't pass it up.

For those of you who have this and use it as a TV, I'm wondering how good the picture quality is. I know the 37W3 is very popular as a computer monitor, but I want to use it exclusively as a TV (TV/HDTV, PS3, Xbox 360) and am looking at several other TVs which cost a bit more. One of those is the Toshiba 32HL67, a 32" LCD. It is only 720p (1366x768), however, I would rather have it other the WH if the PQ is not that great. $580 shipped seems like a good deal for this set, however, and it has made me reconsider my potential purchase of the 32HL67.

I really, really hope that it is in stock and that PC Connection isn't just out of date. It would suck to not get this display.

Wait the link sends me to a page with a W3 picture but the item description says W1?

Oh well I got one from onsale.com for about the same amount. It didnt say it was in stock when I ordered earlier in the week but I called and its been shipped. Yay.

This is what I see on the page:

Price:
$579.95

Will Ship:
Item#:
In Stock
Monday

Mfr. Part#: LVM-37W3

Returned my "original" to Costco a couple weeks ago for a full refund because I needed the cash now I see this.......at this price I would say it's worth a chance....

You missed it by no more than 15 minutes.....sorry if you planned to order. Still a potentially very good deal.

i bought it with free shipping... scroll up and you will see i am the person that let everyone know about the deal in the first place lol

Yea its definitely worth ordering seeing what happens.

But judging by how many times they have swapped the shipping prices and shipping options, I have a feeling I will be getting an email that says "Your order could not be completed and was canceled"

I just got an email with a finalized order number. PC Connection is down, however, so I can't check anything.

zoomed out pic, do u have one? need to see the whole thing to get it.

i've seen some video crackling too. but thats when i have too many things open and the vid card gets kinda warm from running ati tool ;)

I don't have a better picture, unfortunately... The zoomed out one didn't come out very well. Anyways, it's just as I described it. Those green spots are truly areas of 'ghosting'...adjacent to icons on a black background, in certain areas of images where light colors meet dark, etc... The spots are composed of hair-thin lines of green, and they occur across the entire surface of the screen wherever the color conditions are met. I would take another picture, but the monitor's only done it twice. The first time was for about 10 seconds about 30 seconds after I turned it on for the first time. Then, again after 2 days of heavy use for about 1 minute... Nevertheless, that's probably enough... I'm going to contact ecost for an exchange tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Wow that 580 deal with free shipping (just added it to my cart and it was still an option) is pretty hard to resist.

a couple orders over at SD have been cancelled, possibly because there was a mistake and they didn't pay tax in a taxable state, or because of the free shipping.

cross your fingers everyone

if you buy from ecost or pcc, make sure you pay for overnight shipping because if you pay ground, the display will stay longer in the shipping company's hands which means the likelihood of damage increases 1,000 fold.

buying anything expensive+delicate or heavy means trying to get it into your hands asap. that way if it is working while @ecost, it'll still be working @your house. otherwise, it might be damaged during transit.

If ANYONE reading this thread has an 8000 series card with a LVM-37W3 and the newest drivers PLEASE respond. I am seriously considering selling this monitor to a friend (at a $400 loss) and buying the new 42" model. Main problem is that at 3ft away I'm not sure if the 42" will just be too big for PC use.

Anonuser/XBarbarian

I have a 37W3 and am running XP with an 8800gts 640. I was forced last night to update from the 152 forceware to the 163.44 betas (in order to play Bioshock, which would immediately crash when loading the game)
I was worried enough about overscan that I did the unthinkable, I installed the 163.44's without first uninstalling the 152's and using driver cleaner. On reboot, everthing was blurry (low res) but once I went in and changed the res to 1900X1080 it went back to razor sharp. Don't know if I just got lucky, or what, but I'm not messing with it to find out.
I'm using DVI1 on the 37W3, if that helps at all.

Back