Gothic 4 delayed

Hmmm. Must have missed something. I cannot find another npc who will give me a quest, but i will check again.

Tough to say. I picked up a trainer just to speed up the endless running around at a snails pace. I'd say a good 40% of the game is spent briskly jogging from point a, to point b, then to point c, then back to point a, then to point b again, to finally end up at c once more before heading to d.

The 'endless running around at a snail's pace' is what RPGs are kind of all about. Ever hear of a series called Ultima? Lots of running around there. Some people believe those were great games.

Believe it or not, but using the controller I actually walk my character half the time. When coming up on a new castle, say, I want to walk, because running just kills the atmosphere. This is a role playing game. I'm taking on the role of another person. I'm not going to be running around everywhere as though my feet are on fire.

Like reading a novel, or watching a play, I want to exercise my imagination when I'm playing a game - especially an RPG. I want to become another person and just chill out in that world. This isn't some ridiculous Super Mario game. I'm not playing Call of Duty either. Nor am I rushing around to unlock achievements before bolting to the next game where I can wash, rinse, and repeat. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Must have missed something. I cannot find another npc who will give me a quest, but i will check again.

If you mean the cave near the farm then you won't be going in there until later in that level. I believe that an NPC will be standing out front.

The cave i'm referring to is the one east of the entrance to silverlake. At the top of the path next to a lookout tower.

Yes you all keep saying that, and i never said i didn't believe you. I'm saying I have no idea where.

The 'endless running around at a snail's pace' is what RPGs are kind of all about. Ever hear of a series called Ultima? Lots of running around there. Some people believe those were great games.

Believe it or not, but using the controller I actually walk my character half the time. When coming up on a new castle, say, I want to walk, because running just kills the atmosphere. This is a role playing game. I'm taking on the role of another person. I'm not going to be running around everywhere as though my feet are on fire.

Like reading a novel, or watching a play, I want to exercise my imagination when I'm playing a game - especially an RPG. I want to become another person and just chill out in that world. This isn't some ridiculous Super Mario game. I'm not playing Call of Duty either. Nor am I rushing around to unlock achievements before bolting to the next game where I can wash, rinse, and repeat. :rolleyes:

That may be what you get out of them, but I am in it for the story line and the quests. The story line was lame, and the quests were even lamer. If I wanted to wander around aimlessly while taking in the sights I'd log into a Minecraft server and build a giant Lego dong.

Other notes of interest:

- they forgot to put crossbow bolts on merchants
- there is no possibility for subtitles to read, and the voice overs are so bad I'd rather just "explore everything" like I would anyway and look for the quest indicators than listen to the whiney voices.
- there are about 5 faces in the game total.

That may be what you get out of them, but I am in it for the story line and the quests. The story line was lame, and the quests were even lamer. If I wanted to wander around aimlessly while taking in the sights I'd log into a Minecraft server and build a giant Lego dong.

LOL

So those are the sights you like to look at?

SPOLIERS, sorta:

It is related to the task of getting Diego out of jail

I guess i missed it then. He is already out of jail and i checked the caves again and still nothing. No one in the town has anything else to say to me.

So what's the deal folks, worth getting this? I'm seeing awful reviews...

It is IMO at least. We all knew the major outlets were going to slag this game just like they did Risen and every previous Gothic game. There's just no way around that.

Why not try the demo for yourself and see what you think? :)

The game is not getting compared against its own merits, it is also being compared against gothic. The game is fine for what it is. It is not much like gothic though. The purists will always hate it for that reason.

The game is not getting compared against its own merits, it is also being compared against gothic.

Almost like it was supposed to be a sequel to the Gothic series?

Honestly, if you don't want people being down on your game because it's not like another game, Step 1 is "don't name your game after that other game.". If you call your game "Gothic 4", it's going to be compared to Gothic 3, why would you expect any different? If you want your game to stand on its own, don't make it part 4 in a series.

hey, not my game yet, although I will probably pick it up during a christmas sale. i am just saying, the big trend for games today is to make them more accessible (ie: easy to play) as a means of increasing sales (and surviving). I don't happen to agree with a lot of the decisions made here. But it is what it is.

hey, not my game yet, although I will probably pick it up during a christmas sale. i am just saying, the big trend for games today is to make them more accessible (ie: easy to play) as a means of increasing sales (and surviving). I don't happen to agree with a lot of the decisions made here. But it is what it is.

It'll have a nice price drop in time for Christmas at least on the retail side. I'd pretty much guarantee it sight unseen.

Catalyst 10.7 and radeon 4850 - game runs like a laggart. everything on low is the same performance as everything on high, anyone else having issues?

The patched and legit version has no issues really. I hear the not so legit version can't have the performance patch applied YMMV

fixed
X:\Program Files\JoWooD Entertainment AG\ArcaniA - Gothic 4\Data\configuration

file: ProcessManager.xml

change values to the following:

thread-pool-bit="1" memory-synchronized="false"

<ThreadConfig platform="PC" cores="2" >

Re: Performance issues, the game has some pretty high recommended system requirements-- a 3.0GHz Core i7 and a GTX 295. Additionally, you can improve the performance by lowering the Shadows, Post Processing and SSAO options.

I'm running at max settings, at 1920x1080, and the game is consistently smooth - I dropped the shadows down one notch. (gtx 480, core i7)

I'm running at max settings, at 1920x1080, and the game is consistently smooth - I dropped the shadows down one notch. (gtx 480, core i7)

0_0 What? You shouldn't have had to dial down any settings at all.

wow, just finished, one of the most linear and dumb down rpgs ever. still it was fun, but it was definately not a true gothic game. I played on gothic difficulty, did all side quests, it is bit a short, and the ending, is well very german.

0_0 What? You shouldn't have had to dial down any settings at all.

I noticed an improvement when I set shadows on high instead of ultra. Visually, you absolutely could not see any difference.

Back