GParted saves the day

coo-coo-clocker

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to let you folks know about an ugly problem I ran into with WHS and how I solved it.

I have been wrestling with a WHS install recently. I'm trying to get all the drives set up just the way I want them and have a multipurpose server. Long story, and more than pertains to this thread, for sure. Anyhow, a critical piece to this puzzle is that I have a big RAID-5 array on this server that is not in the WHS storage pool. During one of the many re-installs, the partition table became pretty goofed up. Essentially, the used space of the RAID array was in one partition, and the available space in the RAID array found its way into a separate partition. This is not at all what I needed and so I greatly concerned about losing the array or something going afoul. The beautiful answer was to create a GParted Live USB Boot drive, and fix up this nasty mess. I booted up on GParted linux, deleted the "extra" partition, and then resized the existing partition to the full space of the array. Everything worked perfectly. Can't say enough about how powerful, easy to use, and effective this great tool is. And now, I've got this handy USB drive in my desk drawer for disk drive emergencies!

Back