GPH...just how much?

chickenselects

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, yet another noob question for the forums ;)

I plan on buying the following parts at the end of the month:

Black Ice Pro II Radiator
Aqua 1300
Swiftech MCW60 VGA Cooling Water-block with Ramsinks - Retail
GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ATB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
White Water from dtekcustoms

I know the aqua pump is cheap and most likely to break or leak so iv been looking at a dangerden pump (CSP-MAG).

Now the CSP-MAG is 143GPH and that Aqua is 370! I plan on cooling a conroe 2.4 OC'ed to 3ish (hopefully) and a EVGA 7900GT abit. Id like to get the CSP-MAG but does it boast enough GPH for my potential setup?

Also since im posting :p, what would be the best loop setup based on the case? I plan on using a T-line and mounting the Black Ice on the back of the case(fits perfectly for the dual 120 on back). I was thinking Pump->Radiator->CPU->GPU->Tline->Pump so the coldest water is always flowing directly to the cpu.

Thanks a ton.

Well...

You're using a very restrictive Radiator the GT... You're also using a Whitewater and the MCW60 (nice choice, I love my MCW60)...

You honestly should be alright with that pump, but the MCP655 is a better choice :rolleyes:.

How far apart will your components be? If they're all about the same vertical level, you'll be better off. If your components are on very different levels (like, top mounted rad, pump on bottom) you'll run into more problems.

With those blocks, the flowrate isn't as important as the Head Pressure.

Arcygenical said:
How far apart will your components be? If they're all about the same vertical level, you'll be better off. If your components are on very different levels (like, top mounted rad, pump on bottom) you'll run into more problems.

This is a common misconception that head pressure and the height of components in the loop matters. Actually the height doesn't matter at all. Because any work done to push the water up, is counteracted when the water falls back down the other side. The only thing the pump has to work against is the restriction of the blocks.

The CSP-MAG would likely perform about the same as the VIA, the advantage it has is slightly more reliable and quiet operation. Also the CSP MAG is DC powered so you have a big ease of use advantage. Overall I would say the two pumps will provide similar temperatures, but the CSP has a lot of advantages over the VIA.

I'm not so sure about the head height, I think that a higher head height will help restrictive blocks.

To test head height, water is pumped straight into an upright pipe and the height measured.
The height stabilises at the point where the water pumped upwards is the same as the amount of water escaping round the sides of the impeller or, if no water escapes, the pumps power has been matched by the weight of the water column.

A pump which provides more resistance to water flowing back past the impeller (higher head height) will give higher pressure in the system allowing faster water flow and more restrictive components to perform better.

I could be wrong and am open to correction :)

I do agree that the height of components in the loop doesnt affect the water flow.
Having longer pipes will reduce average pressure in the system and increase drag a little so this should be minimised.

Arcygenical said:
Well...

You're using a very restrictive Radiator the GT... You're also using a Whitewater and the MCW60 (nice choice, I love my MCW60)...

You honestly should be alright with that pump, but the MCP655 is a better choice :rolleyes:.

With those blocks, the flowrate isn't as important as the Head Pressure.

Well if you take a look at the case ill be mounting the rad on the back pump bottom or bottom middle (where ever it fits best). So my understanding from your comment and everyone elses is GPH isn't really all that important?

Looked for a review on the pump and it seems its solid for a single loop but really requires "two to shine". Maybe ill just bite my lip and buy an eheim 1250

I think you'll find that the 1250 offers no more head than the ViaAqua. No point to laying out that kind of cash for what will essentially net you the same performance.

If you want the performance to really shine either look into the 655/D5 or the DDC/350. They offer head pressure far and above what most 120V pumps do. the 120V pumps that are capable of matching the head ratings of those pumps are as expensive or more so.

ill buy the 1250 for quality and noise/vibration. Least i wont have to worry about my pump crapping out on me or being my source of anguish.

Thanks for the tips.

Back