GPU folding w/single core cpu?

RPhArrow

Gawd
So I will shortly have the parts to put an X1950XT in an older AMD 3400+ single core box.
1. From what I read, I should fold only on the GPU and not on both GPU & CPU..is that a correct assumption ?
2. Yeah, I know it would work better in a dual core box, but it boils down to what I have available for motherboards with PCI-e & WinXP licenses (and isn't already occupied with [H]ordeBowl activity)
3. Anything special I need to know that is not in the FAQ & DC threads ?
4. Marty made me do this.... I had GPU envy :rolleyes:

RPhArrow said:
So I will shortly have the parts to put an X1950XT in an older AMD 3400+ single core box.
1. From what I read, I should fold only on the GPU and not on both GPU & CPU..is that a correct assumption ?
2. Yeah, I know it would work better in a dual core box, but it boils down to what I have available for motherboards with PCI-e & WinXP licenses (and isn't already occupied with [H]ordeBowl activity)
3. Anything special I need to know that is not in the FAQ & DC threads ?
4. Marty made me do this.... I had GPU envy :rolleyes:

1. Yes that's right
2. Not really true. There should be no difference in GPU performance between single core and dual core CPU, as long as you don't run a CPU instance of F@H
3. Nothing comes to mind, FAQ pretty much covers it.
4. Yeah I've heard he's an instigator ;)

Welcome to the GPU club!!!

I have always wondered if the folding at home app even benifits from dual core. I know games don't benifit at all from dual cores while encoding can benifit up to 70%. Does folding benifit at all from multicore CPUs? If it does, how does anyone come to this conclusion, has some kind of benchmark been done?

Staples said:
I have always wondered if the folding at home app even benifits from dual core. I know games don't benifit at all from dual cores while encoding can benifit up to 70%. Does folding benifit at all from multicore CPUs? If it does, how does anyone come to this conclusion, has some kind of benchmark been done?

It benefits because you can ran 2 instances of F@H at once. So in terms of performance increase you're looking at close to 200% that of a single core. :D

Thanks Roman79 for letting me know I'm on the right track.... so GRRR .... look out Marty ! I'm comin' for you ! :) Well... maybe NEXT year.....

RPhArrow

Roman79 said:
4. Yeah I've heard he's an instigator ;)

Welcome to the GPU club!!!

Hell, He's not only an instigator... He's a prolifigator, a proclamanator, been known to be a downright dirty prestidigitating probationater, but he's the right kind of foldinator ! :D

RPhArrow said:
Hell, He's not only an instigator... He's a prolifigator, a proclamanator, been known to be a downright dirty prestidigitating probationater, but he's the right kind of foldinator ! :D

haha

LOL!

:cool:

Back