GPU gone?

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all.

A few days ago i decided to flush my water cooling loop as it has been over 12months since initially installed it.

After i drained it, took it apart and cleaned out the block, i then reinstalled it all together and added new coolent. I then did a 24 hour leak test over the weekend and all was well, no leaks whatsoever.

My next step was to hook up all the cables and then turn on the system. I turned it on and booted onto my windows 8 usb stick and installed windows 8. Take a look at the issue on my youtube video. You can skip and watch the last 20seconds of the video.

I then tried to reinstall windows 7 thinking its a win8 issue and i managed to install win 7 and got as far as going into desktop installing a few apps and installing the nvidia drivers. After installing the nvidia drivers it asks me to restart so i did. When i restarted it never loaded windows 7 and always got a blank screen.

Is my GPU fucked? CPU maybe? mobo? PSU? My guess it is the GPU which now forces me to cough up £300 :(

Any suggestions on what i can try to fix the GPU? or to do more tests to determin that it is the gpu?

Thanks in advance

System specs:

i7 920 cpu
Nvidia 480gtx(dead?)
corsair 850W Gold PSU
crucial M4 SSD 128gb
DVD writer
3 1TB SATA hdd's

Water cooling loop
XSPC reserviour in bay
ex-ddc pump
EK supreme HF cpu block
EK 480gtx plexi waterblock

Issue
I will let the video do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AqpozJccg&feature=g-upl

Sounds like the GPU fucked. Did you check the card for damage? You wouldn't be the first person to damage a card replacing a warer block. Card damage can cause a failure once the drivers get installed, the card tries using DirectX and crashes.

Also try resetting the BIOS to defaults, never hurts. And triple check that power connections are correctly attach to the GPU.

Yea i cant see any physical damage on the card and have double checked the connections.

Could it be my PSU?

Yea i cant see any physical damage on the card and have double checked the connections.

Could it be my PSU?

It *could* be anything, however card damage from replacing a waterblock is more common than a PSU choosing to run into a problem at this exact time.

Did you try loosening the block screws or using the stock cooler in case something on the block is flexing the card?

The waterblock has been installed on the gpu for over a year. i just drained my loop and added new coolant

The waterblock has been installed on the gpu for over a year. i just drained my loop and added new coolant

Ok fuck me then. When you said you took it apart and cleand out the block, I figured you took the whole loop apart. :(

Ok fuck me then. When you said you took it apart and cleand out the block, I figured you took the whole loop apart. :(

Well i did not take apart the block but i flushed it while attached to the GPU 3-4 days ago using distilled water and a bit of vinegar(see thread about this on WC section).

it got a tiny bit wet but i let ti dry for 2-3 days before i plugged it in and turned it on.

I had a GTX 480 do the same thing. The only thing that fixed it for me was the baking trick, but that only kept it alive for another 4 months then it started doing the same thing again.

lol.

That would've been the first thing I would've done after multiple attempts to diagnose the problem in the same computer. Give it a try in your HTPC, may be lucky that your card ain't dead, just technology being gay.

Well dont forget i have it attached to a Water cooling loop so it aint as easy as taking out the gpu and plonking it on another system!

I had a GTX 480 do the same thing. The only thing that fixed it for me was the baking trick, but that only kept it alive for another 4 months then it started doing the same thing again.

damm really? fucksakes.

Good old baking....miss that burnt PCB/Capacitor smell. lol

grrrr i rather buy another gpu then do that

Well dont forget i have it attached to a Water cooling loop so it aint as easy as taking out the gpu and plonking it on another system!

damm really? fucksakes.

grrrr i rather buy another gpu then do that

Good chance the gpu is still under warranty, try doing an advanced rma before giving up and going the heatgun/oven way.

Hi All i tried to reinstall 4 different nvidia drivers and it did not work so we can scratch that being a driver issue.

i then did a memory test using mmtest and it passed fine.

The next thing i did was to drain my loop again and take out my gpu.

i observed the GPU and there was no single damage marks or anything on it or around the pci e contacts.

i then checked the pci e lane for any visible dusts and again looks clean but just to make sure i used air can spray to spray any unvisible stuff that may be inside there.

I now hooked up the loop back up and refilled it but this time without the gpu installed. i will now take out my 260gtx tonight from my htpc and dump it inside my main rig and see how it goes.

if it installs the drivers or win 8 well, i will then test and play a game or two for 30mins or so just to make sure and if all passes fine, The next step is to then reinstall the gpu loop, see if it works now and if it doesnt we can conclude that the 480gtx is screwed.

it is a bit tricky testing my 480gtx on my htpc because it has a waterblock.

Update:

Took out my 480gtx gpu and added my 260gtx and guess what, win 7 booted fine fully with the proper nvidia drivers. i then reinstalled win 8 and it all went fine as well.

i am going to test the 480gtx once more on my rig just to make sure that maybe i did not seat it properly or something and if all fails we can safely say the gpu is fucked :(

Back