GPU Mining Discussion Thread

sethmo

2[H]4U
What is everyone currently mining? I am slowly mining ETH with my main rig for some long term hodls, but have been thinking about building a dedicated GPU mining rig again. I don't really care about short term ROI as I plan on holding the coins I earn for some time. I had 4 dedicated GPU rigs mining BTC back in 2010 and had a lot of fun.

Does anybody have any faith in BTC Gold? BTCG seems like a valiant idea in theory, but they still have a ton of development to do in order to make it a worthy coin.

I wouldn't put any time or effort in to BTCG. The bigger exchanges aren't going to carry it. It's a shit scam coin from the start.

Yep, the premine and secrecy of the coin make it a nonstarter.

Yep, the premine and secrecy of the coin make it a nonstarter.
Will it hurt to just mine it for a day when it opens to mining and hold it to see what happens? I'll probably point a rig at it just in case it actually is worth something, but yea it's been looking increasingly shady.

Will it hurt to just mine it for a day when it opens to mining and hold it to see what happens? I'll probably point a rig at it just in case it actually is worth something, but yea it's been looking increasingly shady.
If I had a few rigs, I'd point at least one at BTG, couldn't hurt, not sure what the difficulty will be in the beginning.

What coins are you currently mining?

If I had a few rigs, I'd point at least one at BTG, couldn't hurt, not sure what the difficulty will be in the beginning.

What coins are you currently mining?

Mixed - the NVIdia GPU rigs are pointing at ZEC right now though I've thought about bouncing them over to ZEN at times this past week.
The AMD GPU rigs are MOOing, and earning some Gridcoin on the side.
The cpus are mostly ponted at YOYO and earning some Gridcoin as well, but I've been thinking about repointing them at XMR.
The Scrypt ASIC farm is pointed at Nicehash as it's offered consistantly best or 2'nd best returns for a couple months now.

I have ZERO interest in that BTC-Gold stuff - the premine and the issues with even getting a WALLET working make it obviously a scamcoin.

I basically press button on nicehash and make about $110ish CDN / month (1080+970). I funded about 1/2 of a new CPU/Mobo/RAM purchase on newegg (via coincards.ca). I've been doing some direct XMR(Monero) as well but the $$ returns aren't as much. Power here is about $0.10 k/Wh

Holy crap! Looking at what some of the countries pay for electricity I can see why they make money.
Here in Chandler, AZ we pay 7.11 off peak and 10.20 kWh peak in winter and 7.41 off and 22.46 peak in summer.
I don't think mining will work here..... I had a 290x sitting around and started looking into it. Meh.

Holy crap! Looking at what some of the countries pay for electricity I can see why they make money.
Here in Chandler, AZ we pay 7.11 off peak and 10.20 kWh peak in winter and 7.41 off and 22.46 peak in summer.
I don't think mining will work here..... I had a 290x sitting around and started looking into it. Meh.

Uhh, that's cents, right? While your profitability during peak hours in the summer wouldn't be too hot, assuming those are rates in cents/kWh, that's actually pretty cheap. My power is $0.136/kWh, and mining is plenty profitable.

Uhh, that's cents, right? While your profitability during peak hours in the summer wouldn't be too hot, assuming those are rates in cents/kWh, that's actually pretty cheap. My power is $0.136/kWh, and mining is plenty profitable.
Yes, cents. .136?! Dam that is nice and super cheap!

Summer here says it is $.11/kwh, but after all the local fees and regional transmission fees, it ends up being higher. Winter ranges from $.06-.09/kwh, but after the above fees, it ended up being $.12/kwh for last month's bill.

Summer here says it is $.11/kwh, but after all the local fees and regional transmission fees, it ends up being higher. Winter ranges from $.06-.09/kwh, but after the above fees, it ended up being $.12/kwh for last month's bill.
Mining is still profitable at your all-in rate of 12c/kwh

Mining on some GPU-mineable coins is still profitable right now at 20 cent electric - IF you have a well-optimised rig of current Pascal, RX 470/480/570/580, or Vega cards mining on the RIGHT coin(s) for the specific card.
Iffy how much longer that will be the case though, and NOT the case for most ASIC-based mining (Scrypt is probably OK at 20 if you have current A4, L3/L3+, or L21 gear - but Titans would be LOSING money at somewhere in the 13-14 range and my A2s would be losing money at about 12).

So......I am ISO help....building my very first rig using windows OS, Super Alloy H81 Pro BTC, and GEFORCE GTX 1070. After many many hours of tinkering I FINALLY got one of my GPUs to register as a display adapter in windows but had to directly connect HDMI cable from tv with HDMI to GPU. The GPU is attached to mob via powered riser in a PCIs 2.0 x 1. (This finally allowed me to download the driver from nvidia). Now I’m struggling to connect my other GPUs and it is forcing me to use the HDMI to TV in order to boot up using specifically the one PCIe slot. (the other slots dont register). Not sure what steps to take now...I am at the point of maximum frustration :(

Running 1x 1080ti on Nicehash. Currently getting ~$4.50/day @ 100 tdp. Electric is $.0655/KWh here in OK. Gonna grab another used 1080 ti once Volta comes out.

x7 R9 270s
x16 RX580s
x14 GTX 1070s
x1 GTX 1070 Ti

All on nicehash. Electricity is .12/kwh delivered.

BTC-Gold is crap - that premine is 100% no-go.

Last edited:
3 Vega 56
1 Vega 64
1 RX480
1 Ryzen 1700x
1 Ryzen 1800x

Mining Monero and Sumokoin. I don't venture away from CryptoNight. My rigs are tuned specifically for the algo. I don't bother with nicehash.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I am due for a graphics card upgrade on my gaming rig and was looking at a NVidia 1070Ti. Since I live in So Cal and don't spend on electricity since I have (paid for) solar panels on my house I figured that I should look into mining. Any opinions on whether playing around with mining some ETH during the day while I am at work and overnight would be worth it considering my power cost is little to zero? The PC has a Gigabyte GA77x-UD5H, 8GB RAM). Can I get away with it and is it worth is with a one GPU setup? If things go well I can always expand if I need to. Thanks.

Back