GPU to Pair with Q9550

gee why dont you find some 2560x1600 numbers too. :rolleyes:

when I said the 6870 was 15-20% faster than a gtx460 and I was talking about the OPs res of 1680x1050. I even clearly said 1680x1050 in an earlier reply to you. and looking at some reviews I was actually being generous. in the end what I said was correct but feel free the find benchmarks for whatever other res you want...

Please just drop it. The OP already made his decision and purchase and it was the right one. This thread is done and over with.

Theres no need to continue this pissing match just because you were proven completely wrong. Samuel morris went through every single significant gaming title out currently and the numbers speak for themselves. There is no cherry picking when he went through EVERY single gaming title besides maybe Mafia.

Maybe the 460 is only 5% slower than the 6870 at 1680x1050, but the OP mentioned he would eventually upgrade to 1920x1080 in which the 6870 is proven to be the better performer. Please dont deny the facts in attempt to justify your position on the 460. What if the OP took your advice and went with a 460? Sure it is cheaper but when he upgrades his monitor he might need to upgrade his video card thus costing him more in the end.

Please dont give poor advice just to try to win a pissing match. The 460 is a great card at his resolution but for a few more dollars the 6870 is a much much greater value.

Please just drop it. The OP already made his decision and purchase and it was the right one. This thread is done and over with.

Theres no need to continue this pissing match just because you were proven completely wrong. Samuel morris went through every single significant gaming title out currently and the numbers speak for themselves. There is no cherry picking when he went through EVERY single gaming title besides maybe Mafia.

Maybe the 460 is only 5% slower than the 6870 at 1680x1050, but the OP mentioned he would eventually upgrade to 1920x1080 in which the 6870 is proven to be the better performer. Please dont deny the facts in attempt to justify your position on the 460. What if the OP took your advice and went with a 460? Sure it is cheaper but when he upgrades his monitor he might need to upgrade his video card thus costing him more in the end.

Please dont give poor advice just to try to win a pissing match. The 460 is a great card at his resolution but for a few more dollars the 6870 is a much much greater value.

I am not telling the op what card to get at all and was just replying to samuelmorris saying the 6870 will eat the 460 alive. all I did was post numbers for 1680 because that is what the op is playing at. if you two don't like the numbers then tough and take it up with that website. and I guess you missed the part where I basically told the op he made a good choice with 6870 for his system.

I am not telling the op what card to get at all and was just replying to samuelmorris saying the 6870 will eat the 460 alive. all I did was post numbers for 1680 because that is what the op is playing at. if you two don't like the numbers then tough and take it up with that website. and I guess you missed the part where I basically told the op he made a good choice with 6870 for his system.

OP asks what videocard to pair with his CPU.

The majority of the people suggest the 6870.

You randomly post defending that the 460 is even with the 6870.

Although you defend the 460, you are not recommending it?

Why are you even posting in this thread when you have nothing to add? If you are defending the 460 against the 6870, but you are actually not recommending it...why post and clutter up this thread? Do you go through threads looking for statements that you dont agree with so that you can argue?

OP asks what videocard to pair with his CPU.

The majority of the people suggest the 6870.

You randomly post defending that the 460 is even with the 6870.

Although you defend the 460, you are not recommending it?

Why are you even posting in this thread when you have nothing to add? If you are defending the 460 against the 6870, but you are actually not recommending it...why post and clutter up this thread? Do you go through threads looking for statements that you dont agree with so that you can argue?
and what are you doing??? I directly replied to what samuelmorris said because it was not accurate at the OPs res. I also mentioned that if you oced both cards they would be almost equal which is true. there is nothing wrong with what I said at all.

if you clock a GTX460 to the max, it will probably burn out within a couple of months. I don't consider that helpful advice. Sustainable overclocks on the GTX460 just about bring it up to HD6870 spec (20% gains), so if you overclock the HD6870 a bit, surprise surprise the 6870 is still the better card.

if you clock a GTX460 to the max, it will probably burn out within a couple of months. I don't consider that helpful advice. Sustainable overclocks on the GTX460 just about bring it up to HD6870 spec (20% gains), so if you overclock the HD6870 a bit, surprise surprise the 6870 is still the better card.
again? really? if you oc BOTH cards they are almost dead even at 1920 and below. go ahead and give some more excuses though...

"Even when a HD 6870 is overclocked to 1GHz, the battle between it and the FTW flip flops from one card to the other depending on the game – there simply is no clear-cut winner until you get to ultra high resolutions."

EDIT: for some reason the link to hardwarecanucks will not work but you can easily google the quote and go from there.

Last edited:
hcavp.jpg

AvP - HD6870 clearly superior [28% minimum fps, 9% average]

hcbbc2.jpg

BBC2 - HD6870 marginally superior. [-3% minimum fps, +11% average]

hcdirt2.jpg

DiRT 2 - GTX460 very marginally superior [in a biased game] [-2% minimum fps, -8% average]

hcjc2.jpg

JC2 - HD6870 clearly superior [27% minimum fps, 6% average]

hcm2033.jpg

Metro 2033 - HD6870 clearly superior [17% minimum fps, 13% average]

Given up yet?

Last edited:
so perhaps you should let them know that their conclusion saying there was no clear cut winner was wrong. :rolleyes:

Okay, that is a clear WTF worthy comment... You brand biased or something, cuz that makes no sense? If your card burns out due to overclock, you have done something wrong.

Nope, merely commenting on what I've seen happen. I'd say the same about clocking the nuts off a radeon as well. AMD hardware typically tends to be more resilient, but again, I wouldn't want put 300W through a 160W card no matter who made it, or what cooler was on it.

You can feel a lot of brand lovin' going through this thread.

@samuelmorris: What on earth makes you think AMD hardware tends to be more resilient? I've had far far better luck OCing nvidia cards than Ati cards. Also your comment about burning out a 460GTX is just plain stupid. You were making sense earlier but that comment just cries out fanboy...

Fair enough. Once I get proper sinks to VRM on my GTX 460, I am going to clock the living crap out of it to my best abilities. Curious to see how long it lasts after your comment... :)

The fact that a large proportion of X1 series cards are still in working order when the majority of G80 and G92 cards have already bit the dust. Nothing to do with resilience to overclocking, is simple hardware quality. Past geforces were really quite poorly made, and it's too early to tell whether the new ones are or not.
It's easier to overclock a geforce to a high speed than a radeon, I never said anything to the contrary. Fact is though, if you want a card to last three years, you don't overclock and overvolt it, it just isn't done. Stock volts, you'll probably be fine, but stock volts aren't going to push the ludicrous speeds people go around advertising as 'guaranteed' on today's hardware.
No fanboyism here, just observation.

Back