marty9876

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2006
Interesting race...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=481350

LandShark said:
it's time for the GPU vs CPU showtime!!

5 GPU vs 5 CPU

time frame: 2 weeks time from now, end Oct.25 11pm EST

rule: just let it run as it. a honest genltmen rule.

admission: you must turn a rig's username to either Christian_Bargmann or Gary_aka_Landshark for these 2 weeks in order to compensate our effort to bring you this show that everyone wants to know!!

here's the stats:

Macaholic's 5 GPU clients ATI Special Op (5 X1900/1950)

Landshark's 10 CPU clients Intel army (5 E6600)

now which side you are betting on??

GPU

CPU

I am rooting for the GPU's.... but logically the CPU's should win. Arent GPU's doing like 550ppd?

Compared to an E600 which should do 600+ PPD depending on what WU's it picks up?

Viper87227 said:
I am rooting for the GPU's.... but logically the CPU's should win. Arent GPU's doing like 550ppd?

Compared to an E600 which should do 600+ PPD depending on what WU's it picks up?

The GPUs were raised to 660 PPD as compensation for the unexpected high CPU usage in these work units. Closer to 800 PPD at 3D clock speeds.

It should be a good race because Mac is using stock 2D clock speeds, and will get a nice steady 660 PPD.

Kinda odd that GPU is @ 2d speeds. The CPU clients are running "bonus" WU's so why not get the most out of the GPU clients too?

Setup both for max production, or setup both as default (default kinda vague here, normal WU's I guess)

/watches closely

The interesting thing is, though, from Stanford's perspective, the GPUs are doing more work.

They should really have something like:

10CPU clients(5 E6600)
5 ATI GPU & 5cores(5 E6600) systems. Rationale is that 1 core is always taken for the GPU while the other can fold normally.

And the winner is......

The Folding@home Project, of course! Thanks for donating your machines LS. I think we have all gained quite a bit of knowledge from this little experiment.

GPU 148 units for 47,547 points
CPU 133 units for 52,213 points

marty9876 said:

Haha. So apparently they were looking for Points, not WU? I would think that the most WU would be the winner on the side of the cause, since that smore information for Stanford to digest, correct?

On the "competitive, my e-penis is bigger than yours" community side, points matter more, and I guess thats where they stand over there.

Regardless, it goes to show that those GPUs kick some serious ass..

Yes, it should be folding the WU not points. Because Points is useless, and WU is usefull for science.
However, if you based in on WU, it may not be straight comparison, since there's high posibility that the machines will get different WU which requires different steps.

Unless, if it's for camprison sake, make them process exactly the same WU, gromacs core, then we'll get real comparison.

Uh.. anyway for GPU vs CPU, the GPU needs CPU to function.. so CPU it is LOL

blah blah blah

points are a reflection of total work preformed warped by bonuses.

10 WUs @ 5 points which take a P2-300 20 minutes to fold each
vs.
a 1 WU @ 600 points which takes a P4 a 2 days to fold.

Or what ever. It's all so warped these days, and even more so when you add in the old days, that's it's just one big stinking mess.

IMO

:)

whiskey29 said:
Yes, it should be folding the WU not points. Because Points is useless, and WU is usefull for science.
However, if you based in on WU, it may not be straight comparison, since there's high posibility that the machines will get different WU which requires different steps.

Unless, if it's for camprison sake, make them process exactly the same WU, gromacs core, then we'll get real comparison.

Uh.. anyway for GPU vs CPU, the GPU needs CPU to function.. so CPU it is LOL
Jeez peeps - Stan4rd has decided that points equal donation to science. So if I fold 1000 points it represents X amount of scientific value. The point wars were over years ago. The anomalies come when some dufus at Stan4rd miscalculates what it really takes to generate points.
BUT THAT NEVER HAPPENS :)

Back