Gran Turismo 6

heatsinker

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone picking up GT6 today? I just got my copy from Gamestop and can't wait to give it a try. Shame I'm going to be at work for another 6 hours :eek:

Picking mine up in a few hours when I leave work. Kinda surprised that the release wasn't delayed a dozen times like GT5's release was.

Im choosing to get Forza over this. Based off of reviews the micro transactions people tried to slam microsoft for are just as bad if not worse, and the driving sim they say isnt great especially on terrain other than pavement

GT series has always had worse driving and gameplay mechanics than Forza. Don't expect that to change.

No PS4, no buy.

Absolutely ridiculous they released this only on PS3.

No PS4, no buy.

Absolutely ridiculous they released this only on PS3.

Initially, I was miffed about that too especially considering it would have made an awesome launch title. Then I did the math: maybe a little over 1 million PS4s in North America vs 27 million PS3s; suddenly the reason for their decision was instantly made clear.

Im choosing to get Forza over this. Based off of reviews the micro transactions people tried to slam microsoft for are just as bad if not worse, and the driving sim they say isnt great especially on terrain other than pavement

From what i have played the Micro transactions is one icon off to the side of the main menu for converting cash to in game money. That's it. It doesn't bug you about it ever and the progression is identical to gt5. No features are gimped or put behind a pay wall like forza.

There was huge exclusives coming to PS2 when PS3 launched (GoW II for example).

Sony took on way to much with GT 5. They are probably still trying to recoup their investment from it.

Read some early reviews, some indicated the menus are worse than GT5. That turned the game into a no buy for me :(

Read some early reviews, some indicated the menus are worse than GT5. That turned the game into a no buy for me :(

Yeah that is blatantly false i would say the number 1 feature is how quick the menus are now to navigate. Other than the quickness of the menu and the new suspension physics (which are great) almost nothing is different about the game. All the same problems exist (car sounds, annoying paint chips) and not that many new cars or tracks have been added especially if you owned the dlc in gt5.

I wouldn't recommend getting it if the new physics or quick menu don't mean that much too you. Starting all over is a pain.

There was huge exclusives coming to PS2 when PS3 launched (GoW II for example).

Sony took on way to much with GT 5. They are probably still trying to recoup their investment from it.
I'm positive gt5 came out way ahead, hell i would say so far ahead just including the profits alone from gt5 could have paid for the production of gt 4,5 and 6. They sold over 10million copies of gt5 and you have to remember PD's team isn't nearly as big as forza's.

GT series has always had worse driving and gameplay mechanics than Forza. Don't expect that to change.
i agree and the sound is f'ing horrible. still half assed damage physics too!

so far this game has had an average of 8 out of 10. The same or worse than gt5.
i was interested than saw the reviews, but icing on the cake was PD charging money for credits. i know everyone is doing it, but $49 for 7 mil credits? lol

sorry, grinding in GT got old for me after GT3.
im gonna pass and wait for the next iteration. but going by PD's track record... fuck them

Ok so first impressions!

HUGE (1.2GB) day one patch upon booting up the game, took close to 30 minutes to download and install.

Probably kinda minor, but I thought the intro was lacking! I liked the way it started, shots of Interlagos and Instituto Ayrton Senna with Rhapsody on a Theme by Paginini (love it) playing in the background. Then it transitioned into the design and concept phase of the new C7 Corvette, which started to get me hyped up.

Unfortunately, it just ended abruptly and then the "real" intro began, with a bunch of random racing montages with some forgettable rock song playing. It felt kinda flat and uninspiring, definitely a letdown considering GT5's intro.

Anyway, now to the stuff that really matters!

The Dualshock 4 doesn't appear to be compatible with the game, I was playing with it plugged in via USB and could not steer the car with the analog sticks or D-Pad, despite the fact that they were fully functional in the menus.

For some reason, they had built in a tutorial into the game that I couldn't figure out how to skip and it forced me to buy a Honda Fit as my starter car. At this point, I used Arcade Mode to try how the driving felt, the load time for the first course I played was ridiculously long, probably over a minute. Once I got to driving, it was like putting on a familiar pair of shoes; it felt like every Gran Turismo game I'd ever played.

The menus are indeed easier to navigate through compared to GT5, very simple and easy to find whatever you're looking for. For a minute I thought PD had done away with the license tests as they were nowhere to be found in the menu, but apparently they're integrated in the racing categories now; you don't have to take them until you're ready to move on to the next racing category.

There are limits on the level and the types of modifications made to your car, which vary race by race. I tried to put soft sport tires on my Fit and the beginner races restricted the tires to hard sports tires only. The AI was no match even with a stock car though.

The load times gradually got shorter and shorter and after poking around the menus a bit, found that the game will periodically install parts of the game as you go through them, which I thought was convenient.

I only played for an hour so I'm really only scratching the surface. I'm really liking everything so far though, it feels very different from GT5 which, as far as I'm concerned, is a great thing since I wasn't a big fan of the previous game.

I'm sorry but the thought of having to revert back to the DS3 controller to play GT6 is almost sickening. The DS4 is such an improvement , absolutely is a joy to use and the DS3 is like trying to crawl on the floor with only your finger tips to hold you up.

Also It seems like despite all the improvements over the failure that is GT5 that PD still hasn't learned a few key upgrades that have made it into racing games in the last 10-15 years. I still do not understand their obsession with keeping such traditional systems in the game.

I will admit though the hardest part is using the DS3 again. If they patch in support for the DS4 (doubtful since the DS4 doesn't have analog buttons so it would require entirely retooling the feel of the game and cars) then I'll grab it but I've moved on from the DS3.

The only micro transaction in the game is buying credits, that's it. No where near as bad Forza 5 so far. But there will definitely be DLC, but at least it will be new stuff that's not already on the game disc.

I was annoyed at the tutorial course and the "forced" honda buy. Within a few races I picked up my real world car in game, Camaro SS, but found I couldn't use it yet due to "restrictions" in class.

I like how all courses are available in arcade mode.

I like how "most" of the cars are affordable with minimal progression/grinding.

The top tier cars are more "exclusives" which are more for bragging rights and completion-ist fans but still within the GT standard grind rate.

The option of "pay" to skip grind is a nicer idea than grind ridiculous life away.

Visually, it is improved over GT5 and the menu is more accessible than GT5.

http://www.destructoid.com/gran-turismo-6-vs-forza-motorsport-5-266972.phtml

They are not.

And actually if you read, for a driving sim, GT6 > Forza, for racing it is the other way around ;-)

I'll wait to have more free time to pick up a copy when it arrives at my country, still not giving them a free pass but that comparison leaves me less bitter.

Initially, I was miffed about that too especially considering it would have made an awesome launch title. Then I did the math: maybe a little over 1 million PS4s in North America vs 27 million PS3s; suddenly the reason for their decision was instantly made clear.

Not only that, but also consider how long it has been in development for the PS3's radical architecture. It is not like they would be able to easily port the game onto the PC like architecture of the PS4. That is a bit disappointing, but us next gen console owners need to understand that we are going to get cheated on some of the best game releases for at least another year. There just are not enough of us yet.

If you think Bathurst looks amazing in GT6, you need to play it in Forza 5!

I know the rumorville is churning all over the place about this game but I just have this gut feeling that this game will see a PS4 release at some point. Something similar to GT5 XL. If that does happen, I'll get that version. If not, I'll just wait it out until some online site sells it at a massive discount. Already got a code to upgrade to the anniversary edition when I do decide to pick up the game on the PS3.

I know the rumorville is churning all over the place about this game but I just have this gut feeling that this game will see a PS4 release at some point. Something similar to GT5 XL. If that does happen, I'll get that version. If not, I'll just wait it out until some online site sells it at a massive discount. Already got a code to upgrade to the anniversary edition when I do decide to pick up the game on the PS3.

I remember Kaz saying that GT7 for PS4 being released in 2014, would be best possible scenario. Meaning more than likely GT7 will come out 2015 for the PS4 only, unless they work really hard/overtime on it. Forget that GT6 coming to PS4 I have never heard anything like that from Kaz, the games director since GT1. PS4 = Driveclub 2014 then GT7 2015 is my reasonable guess.

If you've played both games, you'd know Forza has always had better AI.

GT... well its a simulator... except when you crash lol.

Im not sure on if im going to buy it or not. I have every previous game but anymore its just the same old crap time and time again.

Aside from the extra cars, graphical update (slightly improved over gt5), better UI and car accessibility, and extra courses its still the same game under the hood.

I prefer this UI over gt5 as I'd like to give this to my dad as a present and crazy ui menus confuse him at his age now but I'd like for him to have a little fun.

Gran turismo is why I got the ps3 years ago, it's also why I got the ps2 and original PS.
Gt5 pissed me off with the promise of loads of dlc, dlc every month for a year or something.... But that lasted for almost nothing.

I'll grab gt6 when I find it in the bargain bin

Anybody know of a wheel that will work with both XboxOne and PS3? In other words I do not want 2 different wheels for both games. I think I know the answer but wanted to see if anyone else knows something.

Anybody know of a wheel that will work with both XboxOne and PS3? In other words I do not want 2 different wheels for both games. I think I know the answer but wanted to see if anyone else knows something.
So, well I have never played GT games. I absolutely loved Forza 3 and 4. Will I enjoy GT6? I am willing to put the money down but if the graphics are absolute shit like GT5 then I may skip.

Also because I am having withdrawls for a new racing game and Xbox One is not released here, MS/Turn 10 already fucked Forza and there really is nothing I can go back to playing. Forza 4 is not an option because I am at the stage in it where you have to grind like a mofo on crack for days on end and I absolutely do not have the patience for it anymore. I need a game that gets me in, gives me fast cars and after about the 20 hour mark, I can feel value for money and get out.

So, well I have never played GT games. I absolutely loved Forza 3 and 4. Will I enjoy GT6? I am willing to put the money down but if the graphics are absolute shit like GT5 then I may skip.

Also because I am having withdrawls for a new racing game and Xbox One is not released here, MS/Turn 10 already fucked Forza and there really is nothing I can go back to playing. Forza 4 is not an option because I am at the stage in it where you have to grind like a mofo on crack for days on end and I absolutely do not have the patience for it anymore. I need a game that gets me in, gives me fast cars and after about the 20 hour mark, I can feel value for money and get out.

If you don't embrace the grind, I don't think GT6 will be the game for you. Grinding has always been inherent in the GT games, but there have been a few changes in GT6 that increase the focus on the grind.

Bspec (hiring a driver to race for you) is not an option at this point; there's talk that it might be added in the future, but who really knows?

Cars used to be awarded for every race series completed, but in GT6 they are only given out for championship races which seem to be few and far in between. "Farming" prize cars was a staple money-making method in the previous games, but I don't think it'll be viable in this game which means having to run the same races ad nauseum to make enough money to afford the million-plus dollar cars.

I haven't unlocked the higher level races yet, so I'm not sure how much the prize money is for those upper division events.

If you don't embrace the grind, I don't think GT6 will be the game for you. Grinding has always been inherent in the GT games, but there have been a few changes in GT6 that increase the focus on the grind.

Bspec (hiring a driver to race for you) is not an option at this point; there's talk that it might be added in the future, but who really knows?

Cars used to be awarded for every race series completed, but in GT6 they are only given out for championship races which seem to be few and far in between. "Farming" prize cars was a staple money-making method in the previous games, but I don't think it'll be viable in this game which means having to run the same races ad nauseum to make enough money to afford the million-plus dollar cars.

I haven't unlocked the higher level races yet, so I'm not sure how much the prize money is for those upper division events.
Thanks for your response. It does seem that neither Forza 5 or GT 6 are games for me (casual sim gamer). I am quite disappointed by this change of focus of the series. :(

Granted I have not had much time, but I have not experienced the same type of grinding in Forza 5 as I did in 4 yet. So far, I have saved up enough money for the next set of races just fine. I will admit that I have not gotten to the later classes yet which have cars that I hear can cost 6M credits each. That grinding actually ended up turning me off and made 4 the first Forza that I have never finished.

I see, once Xbox One is released, I know I will buy Forza 5 but the grinding is what pissed me off in both 3 and 4. Also, the fact that in Forza 5 there are only like 14-15 tracks versus almost 35+ in previous titles pisses me off to no end. Already, I always thought Forza games were lacking in tracks and once I hit the 25-30 hour mark, I feel track fatigue. I could not imagine what it would be like in Forza 5. Though all what I am saying is based on reading and reviews so the game may actually be good. I will just try to buy it cheap so that damage is minimal.

Back to GT6. How are the graphics compared to say Forza 4. If they are better then I may indulge.

I see, once Xbox One is released, I know I will buy Forza 5 but the grinding is what pissed me off in both 3 and 4. Also, the fact that in Forza 5 there are only like 14-15 tracks versus almost 35+ in previous titles pisses me off to no end. Already, I always thought Forza games were lacking in tracks and once I hit the 25-30 hour mark, I feel track fatigue. I could not imagine what it would be like in Forza 5. Though all what I am saying is based on reading and reviews so the game may actually be good. I will just try to buy it cheap so that damage is minimal.

Back to GT6. How are the graphics compared to say Forza 4. If they are better then I may indulge.

Xbox One is released.. :p

Xbox One is released.. :p
Not in my country. Hell PS4 is only releasing this weekend on the 13th with no clear indication of when Xbox One is out (it is selling for around ~800 bucks here with a possibility that most games once released will not work on it due to region locks - we still get PAL games). I hate region based releases with a passion.

They did add a few new tracks whick are absolutely gorgeous. I hope they bring back the rest of the tracks for Forza 6 which could be timed to release when the PS4 gets a next gen GT game. It is likely they just did not have enough time this round considering that Microsoft likely required them to have F5 ready by launch with no chance of a delay.

This is subjective. I've played both GT and Forza, and GT feels more realistic to me. Here's a good side-by-side of GT6 and Project CARS...

Gran Turismo 6 vs Project CARS

God, GT6 sounds terrible. It looks fine for running on ancient console hardware, but that sound just ruins it for me. I put up with it for GT5, but it was easily my biggest issue. It just ruins any immersion that the game generates and I'm not dealing with it again.

Does it have free play mode? All I want to do after a hard day is pick a nice car and just cruise, maybe enter a race or two. Its why I loved Forza Horizons so much.

I truly hate grinding, unless I'm going to play a full career.

GT has always had the arcade mode with a selection of cars representing various power levels. All tracks accessible. Always a fun quick race foe 2 players split screen

Back