Graphical screensaver questions

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I finally convinced my roomie to run FAH but he wants to run only the screensaver version. What I need to know is one critical question:

It runs in screensaver mode, but when the screensaver goes off, does the core itself shutdown, freeing up all the memory it used?

I am asking this b/c he has 512 mb RAM but I only want to put bigpackets if it uses the memory when he is not around. Also he plays a lot of games and I want FAH to be completely shut down so no issues with the graphical client will cause him to want to remove the client.

Thanks all.

i'm not sure, but knowing the FAH developpers' history, i wouldn't think it does too good a job of freeing up memory...

i'd say don't run bigpackets, if he plays games a lot it probably won't finish them on time anyways...

question -- if you run -advmethods but not Bigpackets (i.e. in the install you specify you don't want large WUs) then you'll just get newer cores like "double gromacs" and what not, right? (i guess this pertains more to a console installation, but oh well)

memory is a secondary issue as to the client shutting down b/c it is graphical. I just helped him remove a malware/trojan from his computer so he is a little scared about running a console based program. The main thing is that the console needs to turn itself off completely so no OpenGL conflicts with the game occurs.

If you could find a way to add another 512mb of ram all would be well. I had to convince my old roomate of the same thing......ran the benchies to prove it too :p The console version works great, once something needs the cpu, fah throttles back, and while gaming fah basically does nothing but wait until your done killing nazi/mutant/alien sponge-monkies from mars.

You can specify if you want the core to run at all times, this tab:
gui_control_panel_-_display.gif

*Thanks www.hardfolding.com

About midway down are the screensaver options where you can specify if you'd like it to only run when the screensaver is active. :D

I installed it and unfortunately it only pauses when screensaver is off. So it will all the time it is not playing games. I have shown him how to quit it as well. It will be running timeless. Its an Athlon 1 ghz and will not be doing 24/7. His case has lights and they keep you awake. :D

Hmmm... well if he wants the pretty pictures... there's always our beloved EM3. ;)

It's a start though! :D

p[H]ant0m said:
Hmmm... well if he wants the pretty pictures... there's always our beloved EM3. ;)

It's a start though! :D

He afraid of the console b/c he wants to see it running. It is the only way I could b0rg him. Also it is easier to shut it down and start it up this way.

edit: it looks like after I installed the program, some pr0n sites started coming up. Wierd stuff so have to keep it off for now, I will look at the computer and see what is wrong.

Back