Graphics card is dead?

Jospeh

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an XFX XXX edition 650watt PSU. I was playing some kings bounty when in the middle of it the screen started badly artifacting. Took my card out, it was pretty dirty so I cleaned out the heat sink and put it back in but the screen was tearing at the post graphic.
The card is a gigabyte GTX460 (Never overclocked it personally).

Did it die because of heat? It seemed to go bad pretty fast.

I'm not sure if I can still RMA it or not but regardless I can't live without a card for that long so I need to get one. How do you recommend I proceed?

If under warranty, proceed with manufacturer

if not; remove heatsink, preheat oven to 475, elevate PCB on crumpled tinfoil cubes on baking sheet, bake PCB for 7.5 minutes

if not; remove heatsink, preheat oven to 475, elevate PCB on crumpled tinfoil cubes on baking sheet, bake PCB for 7.5 minutes

375 to 385, haha. I also don't bother with the tinfoil cubes, I just lay it on a cookie sheet that has tinfoil on it. After it's done baking, just turn off the heat and crack the oven door to bring the temp down slowly. After 45m or so is when I actually take it out and check how it came along. I actually still do this from time to time with an old 7900gs I have lying around. Always good to keep a backup card ;)

But yeah, if it's not under warranty, it couldn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
baking did not go well I take it
It is still under warranty I'm going to RMA it but the RMA is going to take awhile and I can't live that long without a card in my computer. I will probably either sell it or put it in another PC.

Haven't gone past 375º myself. Actually at 425º chips dropped from a DDR 400 I was toying with to see how high it could go.

Would wait til next week and snatch up the HD 7850 at a really good deal from NE...

Back