Graphics card just died

BigJayDogg3

[H]ard|Gawd
Had a 670. Kinda wanted to upgrade, but was waiting for the next round of nVidia releases before doing so. The card dying a month out of warranty kinda forces my hand though.

I play at 1440, mostly racing sims at this point. Do I just pick up a 970/980 and go from there, or buy a cheap 670 and hold out for the next gen of cards?

get a 980 and call it done. dont bother with this "next gen" nonsense, there'll always be a next gen no matter what.

Racing sims aren't usually that demanding in my experience so I think you would be fine with a 970.

Don't waste your money on the 970/980, just get the 980ti and it will last you for at least one more cpu/mb upgrade.

At 1440p I think the 980 Ti is your best bet. Or wait for Fury and see how it does, releases in a week.

Just food for thought... I run a single 980 at 1440P, and have yet to find a game I cannot play on absolute max, including AA. A 980 would be fine.

Just food for thought... I run a single 980 at 1440P, and have yet to find a game I cannot play on absolute max, including AA. A 980 would be fine.
LOL then you do not maintain anywhere near 60 fps in demanding games. As a 980 and 980 Ti owner, I find your claim ridiculous.

LOL then you do not maintain anywhere near 60 fps in demanding games. As a 980 and 980 Ti owner, I find your claim ridiculous.

Find it as ridiculous as you'd like. I use Vsync for everything but FPS games. No screen tearing, and no issues. ;) If anything gets turned down its the AA, which most people would argue is NOT needed at 1440P.

Find it as ridiculous as you'd like. I use Vsync for everything but FPS games. No screen tearing, and no issues. ;) If anything gets turned down its the AA, which most people would argue is NOT needed at 1440P.
So you do turn down AA. Sure did change quick from "absolute max including AA" claim a few minutes ago.

And sorry but there is nothing magical at 1440 that means not using AA. It varies from game to game but some can still be jaggy as hell even at 4k.

Back