Graphing Windows system performance?

sap

Limp Gawd
I'd like to start graphing some performance data from my server - CPU, memory usage, disk space, disk activity, network throughput, etc. Cacti seems to be hugely popular on the Linux side of things, but seems to lack some things on the Windows side. I found typeperf, which can use ODBC to directly insert to a database (MySQL, in my case) and JPgraph (uses PHP to make pretty pictures). Does this sound like a good plan for creating graphs of system performance on the Windows side? I also looked into RRDtool, but I would have to script a way to get the performance counters, parse them, and then create the graphs when the PHP is called. Is there a better way?

CPU, memory usage, disk space, disk activity, network throughput, etc.

I graph all of them from my windows install of cacti, both for windows and linux hosts. It was a bit of a ballache to learn but once installed its been solid.

If you cant be bothered to install it on windows, there was an already pre-installed CactiVM that you can run from VMPlayer for download on there site at http://www.cacti.net/downloads/packages/VMware/contrib/

I graph all of them from my windows install of cacti, both for windows and linux hosts. It was a bit of a ballache to learn but once installed its been solid.

If you cant be bothered to install it on windows, there was an already pre-installed CactiVM that you can run from VMPlayer for download on there site at http://www.cacti.net/downloads/packages/VMware/contrib/

I ended up sitting down last night and making a script to grab them all from typeperf and import the data with rrdtool. It's kind of ugly because typeperf is not very robust, but it works. Thank you for the response, though.

If anyone else is interested, I can post the script here.

Why not just use perfmon? Or are you saying you want to put the graphs on the web?

The Windows server is standalone and I don't run any VMs - and Munin is *nix only, right? I needed something that could be contained completely in Windows.

What other requirements do you have?

What other requirements do you have?

That, and no cost.

Like I said, I already wrote the scripts and it's running now and I'm pretty happy with it, with the exception of how crappy typeperf is for what it needs to do (it takes 20 seconds to query 7 performance counters, because if you call typeperf in a batch file, it may return null values for the counter on the first sampling - so you end up doing it twice and reading the second value).

The things I found just didn't do what I was looking for or weren't available/as-easy-to-do as what I ended up with. For example: munin doesn't run on Windows; cacti seemed complicated to set up; WMI didn't provide the information I wanted.

Back