GRAW - I Am Impressed

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I picked up a 360 and did not want to Tomb Raider nor did I even consider getting Oblivion ... just not my thing. I decided GRAW but have ALWAYS hated all the Tom Clancy games as I always hated baby sitting retard teams that always get shot and run out in the battlezone.

I must say I find this game so much fun and al really happy with it. I have not played online much but so far it has been well worth the purchase for me and I hated the GR series since now.

Just wanted to share...let the Oblivion post continue...

Come and play on line on the weekends......you'll have a blast.....also load up the GR:AW demo on your PC.....its pretty keen too.

magoo said:
Come and play on line on the weekends......you'll have a blast.....also load up the GR:AW demo on your PC.....its pretty keen too.
Eh... I've got my hands on a retail copy and it's the same thing as the demo.

That's right: no AA whatsoever... and the HDR is significantly crappier than it is in the 360 version.

As much as I hate to admit it... 360 GRAW > PC GRAW. Thanks "Grin Studios"!

The18thLetter said:
That's right: no AA whatsoever... and the HDR is significantly crappier than it is in the 360 version.

Pure marketing move. Sadly, it doesnt suprise me.

So is it basically another horrible console port that is advertising Ageia physics technology?

Lazy_Moron said:
So is it basically another horrible console port that is advertising Ageia physics technology?
Another? What's the first 360 -> PC console "port" (meaning the 360 version is superior)?

...and I would assume that we need the PhysX processor to "run the game at it's fullest". :rolleyes:

I downloaded the demo for 360 and was pleasantly surprised, so i'll probably pick it up. I haven't bought any 360 games since DOA4 came out so i'm itching to remedy that. But it's damn hard to justify spending $60 on these games. But, yeah, GRAW will probably be next.

The18thLetter said:
Another? What's the first 360 -> PC console "port" (meaning the 360 version is superior)?

...and I would assume that we need the PhysX processor to "run the game at it's fullest". :rolleyes:

I was talking console ports to PC ports in general. And I know you dont need PhysX to run the game at its fullest, but im sure the game is going to market it as its basically the first game to come out to support it.

Carloswill said:
I picked up a 360 and did not want to Tomb Raider nor did I even consider getting Oblivion ... just not my thing. I decided GRAW but have ALWAYS hated all the Tom Clancy games as I always hated baby sitting retard teams that always get shot and run out in the battlezone.

I must say I find this game so much fun and al really happy with it. I have not played online much but so far it has been well worth the purchase for me and I hated the GR series since now.

:D lol

how do you drop items in oblivion without selected a container of some sort(crate, barrel, dresser, desk,etc...) just drop it...cause i get over-encombered sometimes, but theres no where to drop stuff...so...I'm like stuff...

Nomikal said:
:D lol

how do you drop items in oblivion without selected a container of some sort(crate, barrel, dresser, desk,etc...) just drop it...cause i get over-encombered sometimes, but theres no where to drop stuff...so...I'm like stuff...

You hit Shift and click on the item you want to drop.

The PC demo for GRAW has been released for a day now and I didn't know about it?

I hate being sick.

/downloads

EDIT: Never mind. Demo's horrible! :mad:

I'll just cry myself to sleep now.

I downloaded the PC demo last night and the lack of AA(or any real advanced options of ANY kind) and 1600x1200 support totally put a bad taste in my mouth. I was so distracted by the piss poor visuals that I couldn't even give the game a chance after my first death.

If the options mentioned above and in this thread don't get addressed for the PC side, I'll never even consider purchasing it, not even a bargain bin prices.

DigitalEdge said:
No Widescreen WTF

I've run it both at 1680*1050 and 1920*1200. It's just there. My Radeon never really picked up 1680 for my widescreen CRT, but I added it via powerstrip and the settings in games just pickup like the video card always had it in her.

This demo is crappy, somewhat.

First, I couldn't even run the game.. it would crash to desktop. I tried numerous resolutions on my 1280x1024(native) 17" LCD. It must be the resolution because I could only get into the actual game in 1280x1024. Being that huge, I had to run on all low settings, and even then it ran pretty craptastic on my decent machine.

Also, the loading screen was allllll messed up.. the whole thing would be a bunch of colored boxes. The only thing that was visible was the spinning skull logo on the bottom right.. I could see that and it looked good at least and kept me entertained.

I like the cool features the game had, like how you could see an image of the outline of buildings from your squads helmet cam in a little popup video screen. Very cool stuff.

It needs work though.. just doesn't feel right.

-----

Also, what's this crap PhysX driver I have to install no matter what... I don't even have the card for it, yet I have to install the driver? Retarded. There were(I uninstalled the game) PhysX options in my Control Panel. I checked it out and there was a pretty cool little demo for this PhysX crap.

1680*1050 and 1920*1200 isnt showing up? Im running a 7800 GTX

I had to force it the editing a config file?

Carloswill said:

Now I am worried... Do you mean GR is another dumbed down game like Rainbow 6 lockdown, Deus EX 2???

It´s just a action game now with little real strategy going on...

TYoda said:
I downloaded the PC demo last night and the lack of AA(or any real advanced options of ANY kind) and 1600x1200 support totally put a bad taste in my mouth. I was so distracted by the piss poor visuals that I couldn't even give the game a chance after my first death.

If the options mentioned above and in this thread don't get addressed for the PC side, I'll never even consider purchasing it, not even a bargain bin prices.
I agree, for how poorly the game runs on computer, it doesn't look good at all. I wish people would stop trying so hard on graphics, and make the game fun. It seemed kind of boring for me and it didn't run well, so what's the point in buying the game?

This is funny. People complaining about the graphics and such in the Demo and how it does not compare to the 360. You have to remember that you just downloaded a 560Mb demo which is only a fraction of the actual game.

You cannot expect to have every setting available to you as they will remove some code and settings to make the demo smaller and more obtainable. I am sure that you will see different video settings and options in the Retail version once it is released.

As for the PhysX card and support. It is an interesting concept. But to go out and purchase it at this time for a very limited amount of products is not a very smart move IMHO. I am just going to wait a bit to see where the PhysX direction goes and how supported it is until I spend my hard earned money on it.

My 2 cents :D

inZane said:
This is funny. People complaining about the graphics and such in the Demo and how it does not compare to the 360. You have to remember that you just downloaded a 560Mb demo which is only a fraction of the actual game.

You cannot expect to have every setting available to you as they will remove some code and settings to make the demo smaller and more obtainable. I am sure that you will see different video settings and options in the Retail version once it is released.

As for the PhysX card and support. It is an interesting concept. But to go out and purchase it at this time for a very limited amount of products is not a very smart move IMHO. I am just going to wait a bit to see where the PhysX direction goes and how supported it is until I spend my hard earned money on it.

My 2 cents :D

Every setting is available in the demo, if it detects your card properly. I can set everything to high on my rig. To get high in the textures you need a 512mb card.

I think that the reason that people say it looks bad is because the art direction is terrible. The entire game has an orange/brown cast to it, it's like playing quake all over again.

inZane said:
Why would "essential" options like AA be disabled? If a companies going to release a demo of a game (that's supposed to ship next Tues.), why would they release one that's so underwhelming? They would want to get people hyped up.

Sorry, but unless there are some major improvements in the final game, there's no way I'm picking it up.

Seems just like another run of the mill shooter to me - you have a ton of health (I think I counted 10 hits from full health to death), but enemies die in 1-2 hits and come at you by the dozen. The graphics look weak also.

It's a huge departure from the original GR, bleh... I was really looking forward to it

very disappointed in the pc version, I cant enjoy this game, i never felt distracted by graphics in a game before, with all the details on high and no aa, it actually gives off a borring feeling because of the visuals, i couldnt bring my self to continue.

Well I havn't even tried the demo, seems that I havn't been missing much though.

I have the 360 version and am simply loving it -- the squad-based action present in the game is simply awesome to behold and the kick-butt graphics are the icing on the cake.

The PC version, sadly, is not this way. For one thing, the graphics look TERRIBLE. Considering 2x AA is present in the 360 version, I have no idea why the PC version (which is completely different gameplay wise from the 360 version) can't have it too. The HDR effects in the 360 version were also stunning.

Another problem with the PC version is the lack of the behind-the-back camera. For me, GRAW is only really playable in 3rd person. It really helps me get a better sense of what's going on and where the action is.

So, yeah. 360 GRAW = fantastic, PC GRAW = substandard, crappy, horrible.

I hate this game, lack of options, crappy washed out graphics, and what the hell is with the XM8? The fooking Army scrapped that POS quite some time ago yet it's in the game of the "future"

I remember playing Ghost Recon Desert Siege and Island Thunder with a couple of friends over a LAN, Coop rocked so hard. We had such a blast. Between that and Raven Shield we had some great times, Rainbow Six - Lockdown and GRAW are junk. Installed and uninstalled in under 10 minutes combined for both.

grimble said:
Seems just like another run of the mill shooter to me - you have a ton of health (I think I counted 10 hits from full health to death), but enemies die in 1-2 hits and come at you by the dozen. The graphics look weak also.

It's a huge departure from the original GR, bleh... I was really looking forward to it

That's the sad thing. Ghost Recon is NOT supposed to be a run of the mill shooter. Actually, in GR and the other games of this type, you're not supposed to run with guns blazing at all.

They should have changed the title atleast to something else coz this is NOT ghost recon.

edit: 3rd person. Yup, that's the console trademark alright.

For those of you complaining about no AA, can't you just enable it in your graphics card control panel, or does the game actually disable it at all times?

jaguax said:
For those of you complaining about no AA, can't you just enable it in your graphics card control panel, or does the game actually disable it at all times?
Enabling it in either ATI or nVidia's control panels doesn't seem to work.

B. W. said:
Enabling it in either ATI or nVidia's control panels doesn't seem to work.

Confirmed. It actually seems to overwrite your AA set in the control panel with 0xAA.

Wow, after playing GRAW on the x360 and then the PC demo the game really looks much better with AA and HDR. The x360 must be using atleast 4xAA because I didnt see any of the bad AA all over the place in the PC demo.

having not played the 360 version I only have a few complains about the pc version. Quick orders to your squad sometimes have them acting retarded, if I want them to do exactly what I want I have to use the overhead map. I dunno about you having a ton of life, I die in 1-2 shots consistently. Widescreen was just supported for me, x1900xtx. Visuals are good, no AA sucks but I don't think graphics are bad, just lacking after playing oblivion. When stuff gets blown up the effects are nice, the physics are pertty good, I like when pots and stuff are shattering around me and vice versa, it's odd because bullets have a cool effect on the enviroment but shooting someone isn't as satisfying... I like shooting objects more than the enemies... so far fear and farcry have had the most visceral firefights for me... I give it a 6.5

GRAW demo is horrible, AA cannot be enabled like wtf. In this type of game the jaggies are very noticable and it takes away from teh whole feel of the game. If the game had AA i would consider buying it because the game is good, the visuals are just wayy off. Big dissapointment.

I would like to remind everyone that GRAW is a great game - provided you have it for consoles. Heck, even the PS2 version is better than the PC version.

I have 8x AA on and this game looks great. If you don't think the graphics are good in GRAW you are insane. There is a ton of eyecandy and its cool how the cars explode and fall to pieces. If you can't get AA to work that may be one issue but don't say the game sucks because it does not once you get the settings right.

Have you played the retail version for PC? demos often have missing features, dumbed down graphics etc

DigitalEdge said:
1680*1050 and 1920*1200 isnt showing up? Im running a 7800 GTX

I had to force it the editing a config file?

Do you have aspect on auto?

I don't know what to tell you. I play at 1920*1200. It's simply available in options. No muss no fuss for me.

jiffypop said:
If you can't get AA to work that may be one issue but don't say the game sucks because it does not once you get the settings right.
No, it pretty much sucks.

Back