Great News about VISTA upgrades

BIGDADDY51

2[H]4U
Deleted because the info was wrong. An e-mail from MS said they won't be processing oem software at that site and referred me back to Newegg. :rolleyes:

I went to the site and was wondering what is required to get Vista, I got to the stage in which credit card info is to be entered and it still hasnt asked for anything? Can i seriously get Vista for 10 bux? Can someone please enlighten me on this?

gilga said:
I went to the site and was wondering what is required to get Vista, I got to the stage in which credit card info is to be entered and it still hasnt asked for anything? Can i seriously get Vista for 10 bux? Can someone please enlighten me on this?
2nd that

gilga said:
Only after purchasing OEM software, like MCE2005 from Newegg,or other vendors with the Vista promo, like Clubit with the upgrade coupon. You need the end of the software pkg, in order to complete the order. The website is just to confirm your order, and send you a confirmation e-mail ,that you have to mail in, along with a receipt for the software and a copy of the upgrade order.

thanx for the clarification, anyone that doesnt want vista and purchased windows xp lately wanna sell me their vista upgrade? Seriously though, is this only available to those who bought windows retail or can it be OEM?

gilga said:
thanx for the clarification, anyone that doesnt want vista and purchased windows xp lately wanna sell me their vista upgrade? Seriously though, is this only available to those who bought windows retail or can it be OEM?

They upgrade to Vista is intended to replace the copy of XP that was purchased, so to avoid a license violation the buyer would almost certainly have to sell you the XP disc & license along with the upgrade coupon. At this point you're better off simply buying your own OEM copy of XP from NewEgg or ClubIT, and getting the upgrade coupon with it Or wait until January and see what deals are available for retail or retail upgrade copies of Vista.

The upgrade can't be seperated from the oem software that contained the upgrade coupon. OEM VISTA software will be available right after the Jan. launch. :D

"boxed product" means retail and not OEM..... This website is useless for the OEM software you got from newegg or ClubIT....

ScYcS said:
"boxed product" means retail and not OEM..... This website is useless for the OEM software you got from newegg or ClubIT....
OEM software boxed with the upgrade coupon is also considered a "boxed" product.The link came from the upgrade website ,in answer to an E-mail I sent with the problems of redeeming the coupon.

Question: Since the end of the box has a COA barcode on it, does that mean that my XP key will be invalidated once I install the Vista upgrade?

ryan_975 said:
Question: Since the end of the box has a COA barcode on it, does that mean that my XP key will be invalidated once I install the Vista upgrade?
Not a 100% sure here, but from what I've read, the coa becomes attached to the upgrade making it invalid after the upgrade.for the PRO install. Of course, they could handle it on a case by case basis, with a phone in reactivation. You KNOW some people are gonna botch the upgrade, and decide to go back to PRO. The New OEM MCE2005 that I got from the egg, has the new style System builders COA and the 9 digit barcode id number on the box, is the same as on the coa, showing they linked everything together. I've also read that only certain product ID numbered discs are going to be able to use the free upgrade software, making piracy of the upgrade disc no good, for an earlier install of XP PRO. Those people will have to pay full price for an OEM version of Vista which is due out a little after the Jan launch, if not at the same time. :D

I managed to complete my order on the moduslink website on the evening of the 28th Nov. I also managed to put through an order on the tech guarantee site, so now I'm in the quandary of which to go for! I think I shall go for the moduslink route, as that is what was listed on the coupon anyway, as well as having the same mailing address. The tech guarantee one is based elsewhere, not UT. Also hopefully those order/confirmation numbers all match. I think I shall just in case send a copy of the front of my 'one-pack' envelope with the COA barcode to provide as much info as possible. Interestingly enough this isnt requested from moduslink, but is from the tech guarantee site. Oh the confusion. Someone really thought hard about this, obviously. Just another story for y'all.

NC-17 said:
I managed to complete my order on the moduslink website on the evening of the 28th Nov. I also managed to put through an order on the tech guarantee site, so now I'm in the quandary of which to go for! I think I shall go for the moduslink route, as that is what was listed on the coupon anyway, as well as having the same mailing address. The tech guarantee one is based elsewhere, not UT. Also hopefully those order/confirmation numbers all match. I think I shall just in case send a copy of the front of my 'one-pack' envelope with the COA barcode to provide as much info as possible. Interestingly enough this isnt requested from moduslink, but is from the tech guarantee site. Oh the confusion. Someone really thought hard about this, obviously. Just another story for y'all.
Go with the modlink website. I just got an E-mail from the other site that they won't be processing any OEM orders.

ScYcS said:
You were quite right and I was WRONG. Unfortunatelt the modlink site STILL doesn't work for me. I asked Newegg for an RMA number today to return the software pkg as defective, and to send me another one.

NC-17 said:
What software did you buy, XP PRO?

I'm curious what NC-17 did to get his submitted at Moduslink.

I attempted it two days ago and it was kicked at the later stage stating the Country/Zip/State combo was invalid when all of it was totally correct.
I emailed Moduslink which has yet to respond. I also called M$ Sales. The M$ csr said they are aware of the Moduslink issues with their website and gave me the phone number for Moduslink corporate. The csr told me to call back if Moduslink fails to respond or fix the issue.

Same here....can''t get the moduslink website to work for me and my Windows MCE -> vista upgrade. Email never get answered, phone calls simply end up by them saying to try again in <insert number of days>. This happened for the last 2 weeks now. I'm getting tired of it.

On a side note: I think it's rather pathetic that a company like Microsoft outsources their biggest upgrades in years to a company that clearly is incompetent to resolve these issues. Also, when calling them (called them 6 times so far), i have gotten ONE person that i could even barely understand, 5 of which were completely non-understandable. Their accents were so thick that i had a hard time understanding the greeting they stuttered. No offense to foreigners but the hiring standard for support should at least include some basic skills to communicate in english...

I have a couple legal eagle buddies who are techies. I'm going to give them a heads up on the current proceedings or total lack there of.

I'm going to call both Moduslink and M$ today and see if I can get some kind of help before I contact my legal friends.
Get your shiite together M$!
:mad:

I think you folks are going a bit far with this considering it's just getting started. Have some patience will ya. Besides, even if you DO get all the necessary stuff taken care of you still more than likely will have to send in the proper materials in the mail to finish the offer.

I just registered for my Vista "Express Upgrade" a few days ago from the recent Gateway Core 2 Duo laptop I got about 2 weeks ago. I was under the impression that all I had to do was go to their "Express Upgrade" website and provide the necessary info and that was that.

Boy was I wrong.

After doing that on the 5th (the first day Gateway/Moduslink was accepting the "coupons" sortakinda) I got an email saying "Great, you're registered, now send in the proof of purchase, etc" to one of the addresses listed in the email. So even after that I've still got more stuff to do on my side of the deal.

And, after all that we still won't be getting the actual DVDs till late February or possibly even as late as March, so why everyone is so fired up about creating F.U.D. from this whole situation is beyond me.

No one is going to get their "Express Upgrade" to Vista anytime soon; this is just like any other rebate-type free offer which takes time, usually 6-8 weeks for total turnaround. Although they keep saying "6-8 weeks after RTM" it's more accurate to say "6-8 weeks after the retail launch" or maybe a bit sooner, I hope - and so do many others.

It's like, geez people, calm down. :p It'll get there, just be patient.

EDIT:

Here's the email I received just so you might have some idea of what I just babbled on about:

<snip>
"Thank you for submitting your order to upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Please send in the original or a certified copy of your proof of purchase (Receipt, Invoice etc.) and redemption form to our service center in your region:

EMEA
Software Upgrade Program Gateway - Consumer Customers
PO Box 252
7300 AG Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 31-55-543 3946

Americas
PO Box 1918
Orem, UT 84059-1918
Fax: 801-431-5616

Asia
Software Vista Upgrade Program Gateway - Consumer Customers
Blk 750 Chai Chee Road
#01-03, Suite 987
Techno park @ Chai Chee
Singapore 469000
Fax: 65-62417132

Korea
459-3, Gugal-Dong,
Kiheung-Gu, Yongin-Si,
Kyunggi-Do, Korea

Your order can not be fulfilled until your proof of purchase and redemption form have been received and validated. After validating your order will be completed and we will process your order for shipping. You should receive your order between 4 or 6 weeks after January. At any time you can go to the site to check the status of your order.

Thank you"

That next to last line there is the big stinker, so poo on them. 4 to 6 weeks after January... bleh.

I got the same email as bbz_Ghost. I remember trying the moduslink website early on, when it wasn't even available, then later, when it seemed up, but didn't work. Then I tried again and it just went through... I don't think I did anything special in order to get it for work. I remember I entered in "N/A" for the serial number instead of zeros. Btw, I purchased XP Pro, not MCE.

I have FINALLY received numerous responses to all my E-mails ALL with stuff that is totally untrue, such as redirecting you to use the techguarantee website, which is only for RETAIL BOXED software. I finally got a girl named Robin at the MODUSLINK website and We went thru the various "fixes together. Of course none of them worked, such as putting NO in the box that asks wether or not you have a serialized coupon. That just pulls up a list of places that sells computers that are preloaded with XP software. Sometimes lately, the coupon goes thru, only to get the "unable to validate coa". Robin finally was told, that once the coa is entered into the database, it can't be used again, even if you never got all the way thru the redemptiom process. I even got an E-mail from Modlink stating we don't need the coupon, to just send in the receipt for the software ALONG WITH THE COMFIRMTION NUMBER. How stupid is that. Obviously, if you can't complete the process, you won't HAVE a comfirmation.number. MEANWHILE Newegg is hard at work trying to help, any way they can. I now have a supervisor that I am in contact with, trying to find the answers for us. I just bought a 2nd MCE2005, for another new build I'm doing and I'm curious if this coupon will go right thru. If it does, Newegg will RMA my software pkg as Defective. I'll keep you updated

NC-17 said:
I got the same email as bbz_Ghost. I remember trying the moduslink website early on, when it wasn't even available, then later, when it seemed up, but didn't work. Then I tried again and it just went through... I don't think I did anything special in order to get it for work. I remember I entered in "N/A" for the serial number instead of zeros. Btw, I purchased XP Pro, not MCE.
Since yours was PRO, You'll be getting Business for an upgrade ,and Vista business has already been released. That MAY be the reason your coupon validated. When I used the techguarantee website, I LIED and said I had XP PRO, the website went right thru, and it was only when I e-mailed them ,asking when MCE2005 vwas going to be added to the site, that I got the E-mail that stated that they were for RETAIL ONLY. To bad, as the only problem I had there, was with the zipcode. I had to enter the full 9 digit code, instead of the usual 5. More Monday ,when I talk to Jackie.

12/12 ALMOST made it thru the redemption site today, but it said my zipcode didn't exist, so now I get a" coupon already used" error at the start . MORE e-mails to the site :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club of "redepmtion code is already used" users.

I'm trying since 11/20 with this same problem without getting anywhere. It went as far as calling microsoft head quarters after being told by the moduslink employees that the site is unusable as of right now and after me telling them to at least put a note on the site that it's not working and they outright refused to (for whatever reason). A call to the corporate ended in them wanting to have my CC number to charge $230 for a support call. What a joke.

It's DEFINITELY a site that you don't want to make a mistake on, thats for sure. I've been bombing them with E-mails, and now the e-mails are being answered almost in 24 hours. Last one FINALLY asked something different ,it asked for my coa number.I already put in an order on the retail tech guarantee website, but I know that that one will be shot down as I don't the end of an XP PRO box to submit. It was when I asked them when MCE2005 was going to be listed, that they e-mailed me that thier website was for RETAIL boxed product only., yet the upgrade website continues to redirect others there.I also noted that now ,my zipcode needs all 9 digits to be recognized.Just a heads up ,for others that might make it that far thru the maze, have your 9 digit zipcode ready.

My coupons worked today. I was able to finish my registration and received a order confirmation number. We'll see how it goes from here.

12/17 SUCCESS! I was FINALLY able to get thru the redemption process, and obtain a confirmation number. Now, it's a 4-6 week wait, to see if the rest of the upgrade goes smoothly. :D

what is the version that we get, rc1, rtm, or final version (the one that is going to be sold on stores)?

most likely a retail oem version, that has to be used on the same pc that has the purchased XP software on it.

I recently bought a OEM copy of MCE2005 with an upgrade coupon, but the ModusLink website doesn't even work (page cannot be displayed). I still can't believe that Microsoft outsourced this to some hole-in-the-wall company. It's been down for a few days now. Hopefully it'll start working sometime in the next month. I'm gonna start calling Microsoft about this.

I got in and through the site, sent in my shipping payment and have mailed all my forms (made copies in triplicate). Now we wait and see what comes in the mail.

Ok... so let me get this straight... If I order MSFT Win Xp OEM Media Edition for $109 on newegg, I will get a coupon for a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium (+~$20 for shipping etc...)

Now if Vista costs ~$180 retail and I only have to pay $140 this sounds like a pretty good deal.

Am I on the right track here or am I falling off?

~Pal

right track. The only issue we've had is with the website to order the upgrade from is a bit sporadicly up & down. I got the order in and mailed in the forms. I believe this offer from the egg is not going to be forever so check the site for the date this offer ends.

I got 5 e-mails today from Moduslink website ,saying to try the site again ,and it shoud work. Just keep checking every day, and eventually you will get thru. Send an E-mail, Thru the click here link, if you don't, it seems to help. The closer we get to release day, the better the site will probably work. I haven't tried my second coupon yet. :rolleyes:

Palliser said:
Ok... so let me get this straight... If I order MSFT Win Xp OEM Media Edition for $109 on newegg, I will get a coupon for a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium (+~$20 for shipping etc...)

Now if Vista costs ~$180 retail and I only have to pay $140 this sounds like a pretty good deal.

Am I on the right track here or am I falling off?

~Pal
S&H was only $11.68 for me here in CT. The free upgrade coupon will be going south shortly, so if you want to go this route, buy while they are still running the promo.

chambo622 said:
I recently bought a OEM copy of MCE2005 with an upgrade coupon, but the ModusLink website doesn't even work (page cannot be displayed). I still can't believe that Microsoft outsourced this to some hole-in-the-wall company. It's been down for a few days now. Hopefully it'll start working sometime in the next month. I'm gonna start calling Microsoft about this.
There is a good possibility that the website is from a country that got hit with the earthquakes, that damaged thier major transmission lines for internet access. Just keep trying.

If you read the site carefully, youll see that moduslink is hosting the site, but theres microsoft privacy policies and crap all over the place.

I wonder if M$, is just outsourcing the registration, and billing., and M$ would be doing the order fullfillment themselves.

randsom said:
If you read the site carefully, youll see that moduslink is hosting the site, but theres microsoft privacy policies and crap all over the place.

I wonder if M$, is just outsourcing the registration, and billing., and M$ would be doing the order fullfillment themselves.
Probably as the address is in Utah where you send your paperwork.

Back