Greatest Dos games of all time!

J3RK does it give directions on installing these old games too?
HEY I got Mechwarrior 1 on 5 1/4 LOL
I need to find carmageddon and try that again...I spent a lot of time playing that one.
I did find Crusader last night in the garage looking for some 2000grit wet dry :)

J3RK does it give directions on installing these old games too?
HEY I got Mechwarrior 1 on 5 1/4 LOL
I need to find carmageddon and try that again...I spent a lot of time playing that one.
I did find Crusader last night in the garage looking for some 2000grit wet dry :)

Their forums are great for finding out how to work around any issues that pop up, but installing the games is the same as it ever was. What I'd recommend, is that if you have the disks (and therefore a license) for a game, then go download it from an abandon site. That way you can just unzip and play. I know a lot of PC floppies tended to die after a while (3.5" anyway,) due to a bug in a widely used FDD controller chip. I still have my old C64 and Amiga disks and almost all of them work fine. Some of my most recent PC disks went bad when I was still using them.

The way DOSBox works is that you mount a folder as a hard drive. So in the configuration file, at the bottom, you can add something like the following:

mount x: c:\games\DOS\

This will mount the folder on your C drive as drive X:

Then if you have a floppy drive and an old DOS game, install from the floppies to a destination folder on drive X:

It's very simple once you've done it once. Also, you can set the settings for the variety of soundcards it supports in the config file. You can set your port addresses, IRQs, DMAs, etc. Then when you go to set up your game, just make the setting in the game installer/setup program match the ones you set in the config file.

I've gotten pretty good at getting things to run (and run well) in it, so I'd be happy to help if the boards aren't.

System Shock was a bit tricky to get running well, but I've got it running in 640x480 faster than I ever saw it under DOS. (I'd say around 30fps or more.) I bought about 5 copies of this game for $1.99 in the bargain bin a while back. :)

The Ultima Collection disc that came with the special edition of Ascension is great under DOSBox too. (though I'd rather use the various source-port type projects out there like Exult and Pentagram)

I never had two Joysticks when I ran DOS either, which is cool for playing things like Archon Ultra, Dark Legions, etc.

Simcity 2000

Flight Unlimited: the best damn flight simulator evar. Period.
(Although it's too bad I lost the DOS version years ago and the Win95 version in XP seems like it crashes as often as I breathe oxygen)

for me Tie Fighter...I played many games on dos but this game was PERFECT. I never found a flaw in it. If they were to remake it I would hope they did everything EXACTLY the same. The gameplay was THAT good! I remember fighting alongside Darth Vader in a TIE defender and seeing him blow by me lasers blastingat someone on my tail. Experiences in that game will never be forgotten. It is still my best space combat sim of all time!

EDIT: actually now that I think about it I had more fun and spent more time playing those old dos games then I have with any of the newer ones. If I didn't have a widescreen monitor and it wasn't so difficult to get them looking okay with my razer mouse then I would play them more.

Tie Fighter is definitely still the greatest game ever made. Cdrom version with IMUSE soundtrack and 640x480 res, bonus campaign was just out of this world. I used to run home from middle school so I could play a couple missions before my mom got home from work and made me study lol.

The Question is.. Would these games keep your attention now that you are all adults?

I fire up doom every now and then and it is a bit repetative now that I have had so many years of playing other games that are more exciting. I think FPS games are probably the most prone to showing their age..

But Space Sims..

I LOVED X-Wing and Tie Fighter when they both came out (I've had pretty much EVERY space sim made since WC1) And I wonder if those would suffer from the same.. The games never were really so much about the graphics as it was the game play..

I am 26, played Doom when it was released, and still enjoy playing new single-player WADs with a modified engine. It may be repetitive, but it's fun. The pick-up-and-play simplicity is merely different than loading up Half-Life 2 and working through a few levels.

I still load up Quake or Wolfenstein 3D every now and then to reminisce. I think those types age a lot better than, say, old top-down RPG's (for me at least). Mindlessly blowing away some baddies is still enjoyable. The Doom shotgun for me is probably the best weapon ever made in any game. The sound, the weapon animation, the weapon impact on enemies, is all just still so satisfying.

After playing recent RPG's though, it's just so hard to buy in to the old ones now. You just can't feel immersed in the story like you can today

I still play all the games on my list. (check the early pages of this thread for that) How could Ultima, System Shock, BloodNet, Omnicron Conspiracy, Sierra/Lucas games, Syndicate, etc. not hold one's attention. They are in many ways better designed games than anything available today. If anything, they require a player with an attention span to begin with.

i still load up doomsday every now and then. i agree with tim james...its nice every now and then to just hop in the game and play for maybe 20 minutes while i'm in between tasks without having to worry about where i left off in the story, then getting into the game and realizing that its been 2 hours since i got any work done.

I can't believe that every time I open up one of these threads I see dozens of people talking about wanting a TIE Fighter remake and Lucasarts hasn't delivered. That just makes no sense to me. It seems like it would be a guaranteed success.

Abuse and Reunion. Iunno if they are the greatest or not, but they are among the best. If you haven't played them, you should, they completely own.

Hmm, such a long list :eek:

-Doom
-Wolf3d
-Quake
-Heretic
-Pharoes tomb
-T.I.M.
-Solar Wind
-Maelstrom
-All old Lucas Arts games
-Seventh guest / 11th hour
-Phantasmagoria
-Galatix
-Commander Keen
-Duke Nukem
-Magic Carpet
-Sim Theme Park
-SimCity
-Myst
-Duck Tales
-Micro Machines
-Microsoft Flight Simulator
-Falcon (3 / 4.0)
-Wing Commander
-GTA
-Heaven & Hell
-Descent (all + expansions)
-Warcraft
-Starcraft
-Other RTS's :eek:
-Scorched Earth
-Syberia 1 & 2

So many games, some I forgot and some I didnt list.

Would have to be some of the classics I played as a young kid.

Commander Keen
Huge 1: House of Horrors
Falcon 3.0
Crystal Caves
Duke Nukem 1
Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Another vote for Bioforge

Master of Magic was a time portal for me but the crown definitely has to go to xcom- still the best ever made. Microprose was the shit then.

Rise of the triads was awesome

Wing Commander 1 & 2

For some reason an old game called PT-109

Decent was fucking amazingly awesome in an altered state

Im just going to say it.

I loved DOS games to death back in the day, and I still do.

Wing Commander, lucasarts games, warcraft, doom, rise of the triad...

the list can go on forever of all the games I played and loved.

i remember playing some egyptian game that i loved... basically you uncovered Osyris's tomb etc etc... its been 17 years since I played it though.

DOS games were awesome.

1. Doom
2. Oregon trail
3. Wolfenstein... kill those nazis... oh yes... kill them...

Back