GRID lacking 1680x1050

nray

Limp Gawd
Installed GRID, patched to 1.2, can't get 1680x1050 as a resolution option (native res of my LCD, res of my desktop, res I run every other game on my system at). Max I get is 1280x1024. Tried deleting the profile it creates, tried manually editing the XML files that make up the profile and set the resolution, no go. Checked google, found two instances of people with the same problem, no solution though. Anyone here have any ideas? System specs in my signature.

This sometimes catches me, but is there a box to choose 16:10 | 16:9 | 4:3 | 5:4 ?
I have a couple where i have to pick the format before I can pick the resolution.

I think I'm able to play GRID at 1440x900, that would be the same aspect ratio as your usual 1680 x 1050, should look better than 1280x1024 which is a different aspect ratio.

Edit: I went back and checked. My monitor's native resolution is also 1680x1050 and Grid was indeeed offering that as an option. There is an aspect ratio setting, but it seemed like all resolutions were available no matter what the aspect ratio was set to.

So the game seems to support it, not sure what you should try next... maybe update or reinstall video drivers.

I've also had an issue where games forced themselves to 1024x768, and eventually the OS locked itself to that, on a monitor that is 1680x1050 capable.

Try unplugging your monitor completely from the computer and from the power source, then reconnect.

That solved it for me, and I went as far as modding the video drivers themselves to try to correct it.

Even if I set the aspect ratio to 16:10, the resolutions GRID gives me are:
640x480
720x480
800x600
848x480
1024x768
1152x864
1280x720
1280x768
1280x800
1280x960
1280x1024

Manually editing hardware_settings_config.xml and/or hardware_settings_info.xml makes no difference.

Games that work just fine at 1680x1050 on my system right now include: Assassin's Ccreed, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Call of Juarez, Chrinicles of Riddick, Company of Heroes, Crysis, Darwinia, Defcon, DiRT, Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Painkiller, Prey, Psychonauts, Quake 4, Race 07, Rise of Legends, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Sins of a Solar Empire, Supreme Commander, all my Valve (HL2 etc.), Timeshift, Tomb Raider - Anniversary, Unreal Tournament 3, World in Conflict, X3 Reunion.

This really looks like a problem with GRID...

I have GRID and play at 1680X1050. I got it through steam though, so maybe thats a difference?

use the shift key to go into the advanced options, there may be an aspect ratio setting you can use there.

I've just solved this problem for a mate of mine who plays Grid via Steam, the fix is the same for the boxed copy and the download version.
For Steam go to Steam\Steamapps\common\grid\system.
For retail go to C:\Program Files\Codemasters\GRID\system.
Right click on hardware_settings_restrictions.xml and click edit.
It might be a good idea to backup this file before editing it.

At the bottom of the file somewhere, it says :
<data>
<res mem="270" maxWidth="1280" />
/data>
Change the maxwidth value to "whatever the native resolution of your monitor is", mine is set to 1680.
click File then save.
Now you should be able to change your resolution to the proper setting.

The programmers put a cap on certain settings, if your GPU has least than 512mb of vram, but their must be a bug because my mates card is a 8800GT.
I think the above works if your card has less than 512mb of video ram, but it will probably be a slide show.

Thanks to Gridboy for the heads up and Codemasters for a stunning game.

Change the maxwidth value to "whatever the native resolution of your monitor is", mine is set to 1680.
click File then save.
Now you should be able to change your resolution to the proper setting.

yes, yes YES!!! THANK YOU!

That did it!

You did what Codemasters tech support could not do - solve this problem. The last thing they said to me was: "If you are still not getting the monitor resolution you want, then you may need to use a lower resolution unfortunately."

I think I'll have to follow up with them and tell them about the fix (and that they probably have a bug when running under 64-bit and getting video memory size).

Nice one, Glad I could help. The game sure looks better at the correct resolution, and for Codemasters to restrict the setting that basically everybody changes when they install a new game, is weird. If you had two 256mb cards running in SLI you'd be screwed also.
I'm sure this will be fixed in the next patch.
Maybe I'll see you for a race online sometime?

Back