Grrrr...any way to get Media Center to play quicktime?

Allright, this is my first HTPC so im a bit noobish, but Im pissed I cannot play quicktime files on it. Is there some kind of plugin or alternative viewing software I can get to allow viewing all sorts of file? I also have alot of my South Parks in Real Media format, anyway to get that to work also?

Also, this ATI Remote Wonder II is a complete POS. I finally it was the source of all my problems with media center constantly flashing, locking up and changing the resolution for no apparant reason. But i've heard alot of bad things about the Microsoft remotes but I just want something that works.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas I would really appreciate it.

google "real alternate" and "quicktime alternate." I don't use MCE, but they let Windows Media Player handle both formats so I guess MCE will work.

I can't help you with Remotes. I've been happy with my MS remote and haven't had a problem. The Firefly is an option, or a logitech harmony.

dont take this the wrong way, but did u instal the quicktime app? im not sayin ur dumb, just wanna make sure to cover all bases. also, are u viewing from mce or an extender?

i have the ati remote too and it does suck. i have the mce remote and i love it. it works the way it's supposed to, and it integrates well into the whole "media center experience" it also controls the 360 too, so thats a plus. i havent heard much bad about it honestly

hope this helps

ne0-reloaded said:
dont take this the wrong way, but did u instal the quicktime app? im not sayin ur dumb, just wanna make sure to cover all bases. also, are u viewing from mce or an extender?

i have the ati remote too and it does suck. i have the mce remote and i love it. it works the way it's supposed to, and it integrates well into the whole "media center experience" it also controls the 360 too, so thats a plus. i havent heard much bad about it honestly

hope this helps

Yes, i've installed Quicktime :p

Hmmm, im gonna send this POS back to Newegg and order the MCE compatible one. Which one did you get as I see three of them and I can't tell the difference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iption=remote&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

all of those remotes are the same remote as far as button functionality goes. they are only different as one includes the IR reciever, and the other doesn't, while the bottom one is open box....so get the cheapest one then.

that said. I have a harmony 880 and it blows my MS remote out of the water, controls everything, LCD screen for macros, very small, great battery life with a quick charge, and the abiltity to control anything that has IR in my house.

you pay a price, little around 150 for one, but its a one remote to rule them all kind of thing. this thing even controls my ceiling fans!

boasist said:
all of those remotes are the same remote as far as button functionality goes. they are only different as one includes the IR reciever, and the other doesn't, while the bottom one is open box....so get the cheapest one then.

that said. I have a harmony 880 and it blows my MS remote out of the water, controls everything, LCD screen for macros, very small, great battery life with a quick charge, and the abiltity to control anything that has IR in my house.

you pay a price, little around 150 for one, but its a one remote to rule them all kind of thing. this thing even controls my ceiling fans!

Ouch, I aint paying a 150 bucks for a freaking remote.

Coldtronius said:
Yes, i've installed Quicktime :p

Hmmm, im gonna send this POS back to Newegg and order the MCE compatible one. Which one did you get as I see three of them and I can't tell the difference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iption=remote&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

for the most part i think theyre all the same. just make sure u dont get a v1 remote (they look a lot diff than the ones u linked 2). i woulda recommended the harmony, but i dont think the average person could spend 150-200 on a remote

ne0-reloaded said:
for the most part i think theyre all the same. just make sure u dont get a v1 remote (they look a lot diff than the ones u linked 2). i woulda recommended the harmony, but i dont think the average person could spend 150-200 on a remote
There's also been a refresh of the v2 to add a learning ability to turn a TV on/off. The newer-style v2 has a 'TV' power button at the top in addition to the regular power button, the older model only has one power button. I got the old one about a month before they made the change :rolleyes:

I have had both the logitech harmony & the firefly.

the harmony is wicked, i got the blue one with the color screen and until someone stole it from me, it was the most programmable remote i had ever seen. I like how when I hit the power off button, it turns off my projector, amp, xbox 360, and everything else i want with one button. I never did get it working with my computer, never bothered

The firefly was a great deal. Fraction of the harmony's cost, and worked really good. I use iTunes, and it worked really good in that.

My only complaint is how the USB reciver (RF) was sorta weak, in order to use it anywhere in my house i had to use a USB extension cord and put that in the hallway (hidden out of sight), and then it work work fine. Not sure if everyone would have that problem, or if my house is just bad for RF signals.

You also might be able to use two or more of those RF signal things (if you could somehow buy them seperately) and wire one down into the basement or something.

:D

Back on track:

Yes, you can get MCE to play your quicktime files. Go download quicktime alternative and install that. When that's done, you have to add registry entries to be able to see quicktime files in the MCE browser. To do that, open notepad and put in the following:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mov"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mov]
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

*Delete out the spaces in the words Microsoft and Extensions. Using the code tags put those in. If you don't, this won't work*
Save as codec.reg (or anything .reg) but make sure it's a .reg file. Then double click, and select yes to add to registry. That should get quicktime to play in MCE, and put quicktime files into the browser. You can use the above reg file to add all sorts of codecs and extensions into MCE. Just make sure you have the correct codecs installed as well. My full reg file looks like this

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogg]
"PerceivedType"="audio"
"Content Type"="audio/x-ogg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogm]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-ogg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m2v]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mka]
"PerceivedType"="audio"
"Content Type"="audio/x-matroska"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mp4"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mov"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.swf]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/swf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.ogg]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.ogm]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.m2v]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mka]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mp4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mov]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.swf]

HereticX said:
Back on track:

Yes, you can get MCE to play your quicktime files. Go download quicktime alternative and install that. When that's done, you have to add registry entries to be able to see quicktime files in the MCE browser. To do that, open notepad and put in the following:

Awesome, thanks man. Unfortuantly, the real media player doesn't wanna play nice. Media Center doesnt even see the real media files in the folders :(

Back