GSOD is back

GSOD was usually the result of the video card ram running either out of spec (overclocked) or the manufacturer using memory that could not run at stock speeds. I suggest you enable ATI Overdrive and lower the default clock speed of the memory to see if the GSOD issue goes away. If it does you should try to get better air flow in your case or RMA the card.

GSOD was usually the result of the video card ram running either out of spec (overclocked) or the manufacturer using memory that could not run at stock speeds. I suggest you enable ATI Overdrive and lower the default clock speed of the memory to see if the GSOD issue goes away. If it does you should try to get better air flow in your case or RMA the card.

If I enable ATI Overdrive can I still have MSI afterburner to see my temperatures? thanks

Sounds like it's probably bad memory. Believe it or not, both ATI and Nvidia make defective cards not related to the drivers.

If I enable ATI Overdrive can I still have MSI afterburner to see my temperatures? thanks

The ATI Overdrive area in the Catalyst Control Center displays the temperature, activity level and fan speed of your video card. MSI afterburner is not needed.

you need MSI afterburner because the drivers lock the clock speed of the gpu and ram kinda preventing you from burning them out

i have an xfx 6970 and have not one problem with it. I am running the 10.12a drivers

you need MSI afterburner because the drivers lock the clock speed of the gpu and ram kinda preventing you from burning them out

i have an xfx 6970 and have not one problem with it. I am running the 10.12a drivers

Again, MSI Afterburner is not needed to control clock speeds on AMD/ATI video cards. You can set the core and memory speeds of your video card using ATI Overdrive (a component of the Catalyst Control Center). MSI Afterburner is basically a highly modified version of Rivatuner. IMO if someone is having issues like the GSOD that was described by VE2007 I would advise to stop using ANY videocard overclocking tool to try and diagnose the problem.

Again, MSI Afterburner is not needed to control clock speeds on AMD/ATI video cards. You can set the core and memory speeds of your video card using ATI Overdrive (a component of the Catalyst Control Center). MSI Afterburner is basically a highly modified version of Rivatuner. IMO if someone is having issues like the GSOD that was described by VE2007 I would advise to stop using ANY videocard overclocking tool to try and diagnose the problem.

I never overclock I only use MSI afterburner just for temperature readings

Funny thing happened. I removed MSI afterburner, restarted and 2 minutes later I got the artifacts again

Last edited:
No GSODs here no issues at all from my 6870s.
I would RMA the card Op and if it does the same thing next time then I would look into other possibilities.

No GSODs here no issues at all from my 6870s.
I would RMA the card Op and if it does the same thing next time then I would look into other possibilities.

Should he rma both cards as his original post states that he's getting GSOD with both cards in crossfire or either card alone. My thinking is that there is something else going on. If I remember correctly he had problems back in the day with this same rig, correct me if i'm wrong op with older amd cards and after rma he hadn't had the problem again, perhaps the issue is mobo/psu etc... OP I'd try different pcie slots, try with another psu, and if possible use another spare hdd and do a clean install of the os and see if it's os corruption of some kind. Don't use a stored image you may have, perform a new install from the win 7 disk etc..

The colored spots are not every day it could be once a week and BSOD once in 3 to 5 days it depends on which drivers I installed.

I use MSI afterburner and my GPU1 and GPU2 are roughly around 34 to 37 temperature

Also if I play games it freezes sometimes but not in every game
I had this problem with my GTX280. Eventually, it stopped being "every few days" and started being "every single day" at which point I RMA'd it. The memory on it went bad.

RMA your card. It is highly unlikely the symptoms you describe are driver related.

I had this problem with my GTX280. Eventually, it stopped being "every few days" and started being "every single day" at which point I RMA'd it. The memory on it went bad.

RMA your card. It is highly unlikely the symptoms you describe are driver related.

I have installed the 10.12a hotfix drivers and my MSI afterburner to show me the temperatures on my bottom tray, so far so good 2 days stable

Full screen Plants vs Zombies stops rendering every so often. The 2 last frames just switch back and forth while it sounds like the game is continuing fine in the background. Windowed mode has no problems.
Sorry for the bump, but I found a solution. I had to update my laptop bios (which also contains the video card bios). I guess something in the last few drivers became incompatible. Not sure if it was the system BIOS or video BIOS update that solved the problem. Now it works perfectly again.

GSODs from almost the beginning have been a hardware issue. It was only a driver bug for the first few months. GSODs now mean it's a faulty card, simple as.

I had my first GSOD in months last weekend twice while playing Black Ops. And then just the other night, the 'display driver stopped responding and recovered successfully' twice while watching a movie.

10.12s

I spoke too soon went to 10.12hotfix to 10.10e with both drivers freezing on me.

I decide to go back to my old drivers that came with the video card and see from there

My card has begun to do this again as well. It was doing all right with 10.10 and 10.11 but 10.12 has given me nothing but probs. I'm on a 5870 BTW. It's so random as well, hit the firefox icon to start firefox, lightblue screen o death, twice. It'll go grey here and there and just plain black at other times. Each time I have to hard restart the machine. It doesn't make sense. Going to try my 4890 and see if the problem keeps happening.

GSODs from almost the beginning have been a hardware issue. It was only a driver bug for the first few months. GSODs now mean it's a faulty card, simple as.

No, not true.

I bought a 5870 back in Dec '09, and the GSOD problem with the drivers was supposedly fixed around March/April '10, but I still had GSOD issues through June 'til I figured out the problem.

Drivers were the initial problem, but then additional software I was running became the problem at some point.

But for me, it never was the card, although I had constant GSODs for over six months.

No, not true.

I bought a 5870 back in Dec '09, and the GSOD problem with the drivers was supposedly fixed around March/April '10, but I still had GSOD issues through June 'til I figured out the problem.

Drivers were the initial problem, but then additional software I was running became the problem at some point.

But for me, it never was the card, although I had constant GSODs for over six months.

Did you get any artifacts during the six months?
I also think it's not my card. I never overclock and my temperatures are always low around
36 to 40.
I play games a lot and the highest it went was around 70 in a few hours of gaming.

Did you get any artifacts during the six months?
I also think it's not my card. I never overclock and my temperatures are always low around
36 to 40.
I play games a lot and the highest it went was around 70 in a few hours of gaming.

No, it never artifacted, since it wasn't the card.

But, it would run hot, even though it was under-clocking itself, but that was because it was over-volting itself. And then the fan would stop working.

Problem was not the card though, unless you want to say there's a problem with 5870s in general... I was running too much monitoring software attempting to find the reasoning behind my GSODs, and AMD cards don't like that. Nvidia cards don't care.

But the result would be a GSOD.

So, no, the GSODs weren't all driver-related or hardware-related at all. It can be the software you are running.

But, it would run hot, even though it was under-clocking itself, but that was because it was over-volting itself. And then the fan would stop working.

Problem was not the card though, unless you want to say there's a problem with 5870s in general... I was running too much monitoring software attempting to find the reasoning behind my GSODs, and AMD cards don't like that. Nvidia cards don't care.

So, no, the GSODs weren't all driver-related or hardware-related at all. It can be the software you are running.

Stupid question, but how does it over-volt itself? How do you check that up?

Stupid question, but how does it over-volt itself? How do you check that up?

I don't know why it was over-volting itself, but MSI Afterburner can display the current voltage, and that's how I was able to determine it, when I mentioned what some voltage was at, and someone mentioned that the number I gave cannot be right.

That was when I first realized that when I rebooted, it would be at the correct voltage, then do something else on its own.

I rem at one point it was even booting to an initial voltage that wasn't manuf spec, but also wasn't even what MSI Afterburner would do. Once I set MSIA to a correct number and saved it as a profile, that never happened again, though.

But yes, running MSIA and Everest, trying to watch for clues as to my GSOD problems, would cause the card to over-volt within 30 min. Seemingly things at the desktop were fine up 'til the moment you GSOD (which again, could take 5 min, 5 hrs, or 5 days...), but inside a game it might only takes minutes before the card would underclock itself because of overheating, and when it did this, the card would eventually just shut off the fan when 100% wouldn't work. (why the card makes the decision that if 100% fan doesn't work, may as well just shut it off, I dunno, ask AMD on that one!)

But yes, alt-tabbing between a game and the desktop would make the fan instantly come back to life at the desktop, when the card would changes its clock/volt itself for the desktop. This was when I started noticing everything that was happening, but still didn't understand why.

Not running Everest anymore fixed everything. I didn't even think Everest was polling my video card, but apparently it was. (I was using Everest to monitor my CPU as supposedly an OCed CPU could be the problem, but I had even put it back to manuf specs...)

In my own defense, MSIA doesn't auto display voltages; it's an option you have to turn on, and since I had no interest in over-clocking the card since it sucked considering what I was experiencing, so it took some time to even realize the voltages. Also, I wasn't MSIA/Everesting my system 24/7 'til months into the GSODs, so I think I coincidentally started doing it around the time the drivers that were supposed to fix GSODs came out.

Actually, I can rem now: when those new drivers came out, my problem flip-flopped - desktop was fine, gaming was a problem, now gaming was fine, desktop was a disaster. That more than likely was when ppl told me it has to be my card, and I started monitoring everything trying to convince myself of an OC problem, overheating, etc etc, as it just didn't make sense to flip-flip 100% like that.

But yes, it was never the hardware. Having multiple prgs poll my 5870 would cause it to over-volt on its own.

I just wanted to clarify something I mentioned earlier:

I rem at one point it was even booting to an initial voltage that wasn't manuf spec, but also wasn't even what MSI Afterburner would do. Once I set MSIA to a correct number and saved it as a profile, that never happened again, though.

This most definitely was part of the problem. The card could boot into almost random settings that made no sense, that the card shouldn't have been doing on its own, and were actually impossible for MSIA to even cause to happen. The settings weren't dangerous, they were just wrong, and led to instability on their own.

I have no idea how long that went on, but creating an MSIA profile that loads automatically was a 100% fix. This, however, did not stop my GSOD issues, but just the card booting into random settings.

And, again, once I stopped loading Everest and only used MSIA, my card was now 100% rock-solid stable. Although I had already bought a GTX 480, I even delayed installing it by weeks (I think five?), just to convince myself it was finally fixed. After five week I was pretty convinced (I had done everything with the system without a reboot for five weeks, that's stable enough either way IMO), and I do admit I considered returning or Ebaying the GTX 480 and staying with the 5870...

But I was planning an i7 build very soon, and wanted to tri-SLI, and the GTX 480 was bettering the 5870 in those configs, and I didn't care about the cost.

been having them as well with my 5870, never went away after ati "fixed" it. Got less frequent now, but still happening at least once every two days or so.

Okay well. The ONLY drivers that work with the 6900 series Is this one. Trying ANY driver earlier than the 10.12A revision of the december drivers will result in problems, since NONE were meant to support the cards.

I have had a single GSOD, only when pushing my 69*70 VRAM much too high.

I'm on the 10.10 drivers and I'm fine.

Well, I decided to go ahead with the RMA .
They told me theres nothing wrong with the card as we tested it for 6 hours. I emailed them back and said I was not happy and there is a fault in the card, then they said we will send it to HIS for further testing.

Today I got an email stating that there was a fault in the card and we will be sending you a replacement.:D

How do you know its not the Card itself that is faulty? and how can you be so sure?

From my past experience, its mostly due to faulty VRAM even though it have no artifacts at all..

I been seeing quite few GSOD, and all of them simply fixed with card RMA(one or two of them at least RMA like 3 times to get it fix).

How do you know its not the Card itself that is faulty? and how can you be so sure?

From my past experience, its mostly due to faulty VRAM even though it have no artifacts at all..

I been seeing quite few GSOD, and all of them simply fixed with card RMA(one or two of them at least RMA like 3 times to get it fix).

It was 100% fixed by not running Everest and MSI Afterburner at the same time. Never experienced another GSOD period once it was explained to me to not do that with AMD cards. The card would over-volt itself as a reaction to this, and apparently all AMD cards exhibit this behavior.

You can either run that CCC Overdrive utility (whatever it was called), or Everest, or MSI Afterburner. But not a combo of two of them, and not all three of them with AMD cards.

Once I only ran MSI Afterburner, all issues ceased immediately. It was an immediate, 100% fix.

It was never the card. As long as you don't over-monitor AMD cards, they're fine. But they don't like being over-monitored. Either this is a problem with the monitoring software and how it works, or it is a problem with all AMD cards.

Either way, RMAing it would have only been a waste of my time and money, and XFX's time and money, if I had desired to continue to over-monitor the RMAed cards I received back and kept the over-volting situation ongoing.

But I think Shansoft glossed over this fact, so let me stress: my card was over-volting itself.

It was 100% fixed by not running Everest and MSI Afterburner at the same time. Never experienced another GSOD period once it was explained to me to not do that with AMD cards. The card would over-volt itself as a reaction to this, and apparently all AMD cards exhibit this behavior.

You can either run that CCC Overdrive utility (whatever it was called), or Everest, or MSI Afterburner. But not a combo of two of them, and not all three of them with AMD cards.

Once I only ran MSI Afterburner, all issues ceased immediately. It was an immediate, 100% fix.

It was never the card. As long as you don't over-monitor AMD cards, they're fine. But they don't like being over-monitored. Either this is a problem with the monitoring software and how it works, or it is a problem with all AMD cards.

Either way, RMAing it would have only been a waste of my time and money, and XFX's time and money, if I had desired to continue to over-monitor the RMAed cards I received back and kept the over-volting situation ongoing.

But I think Shansoft glossed over this fact, so let me stress: my card was over-volting itself.

I have never encounter overvolt issue before, and it should be only control by BIOS, other than that only OC software can change volt.

It seems to me there is something going on there.

I was using Everest(call AIDA now) with Windows Gadget + MSI Afterburner for Fan Profile and CCC tray icon(Use to set profiles). All at the same time 24/7...

Never had a single GSOD, beside with one Sapphire 5870, which the card was defected itself anyway.

Or maybe somehow your powerplay is fucked up like mine.

The guy who wrote MSIA was aware of the issue, and the solution was to not run multiple monitoring software all doing the same thing. AMD cards don't like it, and would over-volt.

Running MSIA was not a problem, but load Everest, within 5-30 min it would over-volt on its own, just sitting at the desktop. Would stay like that 'til you reboot.

Nothing in and of itself was causing it, just running Everst and MSIA combined.

The irony was I was experiencing GSODs, so was over-monitoring my system to look for a pattern. In doing so, I now was creating the problem scenario. Didn't catch on to it, 'til I noticed my card was core volted at a dangerous level, but wasn't there upon an initial reboot after a GSOD. Once I posted what was happening, and someone explained what the programmer of MSIA had also realized, the problem really was immediately and 100% solved.

Besides, GSODs were the least of my issues. When my card would over-volt, the fan would stop working. When I first got my card, I was having a problem with framerates being low. This was due to the card underclocking itself (was initially blaming powerplay "fuck ups" as you called it, but no...) to keep the temps down when the fan would decide it didn't want to spin anymore.

Even manually setting it to 100% fan wouldn't help, it would stop. (MSIA would report ZERO in regards to the fan... I think sometimes it would literally stopping)

But it only did that in a game...

All in all, the card would run hotter at the desktop than in a game... It would over-volt at the lower clocks, but run correct at gaming clocks, with the exception of the fan not working.

I didn't piece together any of this 'til the I turned-on access in MSIA to the voltage settings for the card and started monitoring it. Actually, I wouldn't even see it over-volt itself either, I'd just have a voltage setting that was way off. Once someone told me how wrong it was, that's when I started paying attention to it, realized what was going on, and found out about the monitoring software.

Either way, Nvidia cards don't exhibit this behavior. And only running MSIA was a 100% immediate fix. The card was 100% rock-solid stable for me for five weeks once I understood the problem, and although I had already bought a GTX480 and decided to go that route on my new system, the person I sold the 5870 to also never had a complaint about it.

So, far as I can tell - it never was the card. The shame of it is that AMD got a lot of shit for how powerplay was supposedly F-ed up for so many people, whereas for me the seemingly powerplay issues were actually my card desperately trying to tell me what actually was wrong, but me not knowing to look for it.

I'm not sure if AMD's drivers ever were the cause of any of my GSODs, but I do not believe the hardware ever was a cause. Simple and honest as that.

I have got my new card and so far everything is working fine but the temperatures in the MSI afterburner show GPU1 33 and GPU2 44 is that OK:confused:

I have got my new card and so far everything is working fine but the temperatures in the MSI afterburner show GPU1 33 and GPU2 44 is that OK:confused:

Should be ok,just watch the temps under load.How close are the 2 cards together?
If there real close together one will be hotter than the other..

Should be ok,just watch the temps under load.How close are the 2 cards together?
If there real close together one will be hotter than the other..

I have the HIS HD5970 Card, 2 cards in I

Last edited:
I too experienced a GSOD while booting up my computer with Crossfire enabled, WTF. Crossfire is so buggy and annoying I never want to do it again.

So far about 2 weeks of heavy gaming, modding, overclocking, and tweaking and no gsod here. Thank goodness.

I just had a GSOD as well on my HIS 5850. Just did a fresh install of W7 64bit and loaded the new 11.1 drivers.

This was the first time I have ever had that happen. I was just sitting at the desktop when it happend.

Hopefully it was just a one time thing and never comes back.

Back