GT200 Preliminary Numbers

[RCKY] Thor

2[H]4U
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37931/113/

The new GeForce cards are expected to hit more than 650 nanoseconds of protein simulation in a single day, while the Radeon HD 3870 is stuck at about 170 ns. The Playstation 3 is able to produce "only" 100 ns of simulation, while a quad-core CPU creates an output of just four nanoseconds. For those who are keeping count: The GeForce GPU will be about 163 times faster than a quad-core processor in this specific application.

Pretty damn impressive!

That is just ridiculous.

Does anyone have any idea how Stanford comes up with the work units? I really don't know what goes on with their end. Is there any way they could actually start running out of things for us to do with the kind of speed that will be coming online soon?

I know that is a wonderful problem for them to have if it happens, but I am just wondering what might happen there.

They better be adding network bandwidth, because I know the [H] alone will be pushing a fair bit of the new Nvidia GPU clients.

Once I get my upgrade (pending wiffy approval) I know I'll have it on at least 2 boxen.

Looking good.

Its going to be a question of what value PpD wise, Stanford benchmarks the new client at and on what card/cpu the benchmark machine is built from.
If its around the same value as the ATI one and if you can keep the vid card fully loaded then as the 3870 can pull 2,000 PpD, the nVidia client could do ............

650/170 x 2,000 = 7,600 PpD ......:eek:

But I've a feeling that Stanford is going to benchmark the new nVidia client to give around to same figure as the ATI one.
So it will more likely be in the 1,000-2,000 range.

Luck ......... :D

Be careful, Vijay Pande commented that the ATI numbers is wrong since it was with the old client. The new client and mhouston's tweaks will make it produce more like 300ns/day. However, the GTX280 will be a folding beast (his words, verbatim ;)).

My wallet is already wimpering at the idea of being raped again to get a GTX280+waterblock...

Be careful, Vijay Pande commented (in the betatesters forum) that the ATI numbers is wrong since it was with the old client. The new client and mhouston's tweaks will make it produce more like 300ns/day. However, the GTX280 will be a folding beast (his words, verbatim ;)).

My wallet is already wimpering at the idea of being raped again to get a GTX280+waterblock...

When the nvidia client comes out make sure you run a couple on your 8800 for a comparison. The nice thing is, most of us who have an nvidia card in their main rig shouldn't have a heat problem since gaming + folding should be about the same heat output as adding the gpu while folding. It was something that crossed my mind when i read you're gonna get bent over by a full cover gtx280 block.

Twin 8800GTX's ready to go and once they make water blocks for my 2 Gt200 cards we will be rocking! I'm going to adding a couple new quads and I think I'm going to config them to be gaming rigs with 1 Gt200 each.

i'll be switching my 8800 GT to this thing for a while to test, so my main rig will be doing 1x smp, 1x console, 1x gpu, so i'll update with numbers as I get them in.

Me want these cards NOW!!! I don't understand though, why these nVidia cards are doing SO much better then the Playstation, because doesn't the Playstation console use a nVidia based graphics card?

Me want these cards NOW!!! I don't understand though, why these nVidia cards are doing SO much better then the Playstation, because doesn't the Playstation console use a nVidia based graphics card?

The PS3 client utilizes the Cell processor, not the RSX. And as BanDeodorant already said, its similar to the 7800 line, so it doesn't support CUDA, meaning it can't fold anyway. They probably cut more than a few corners to keep the cost down as well. Besides that, with the way that GPUs evolve, you really can't expect the GPU in a console released a year and a half ago to stack up too well with the yet to be released top of the line model.

Back