GT440 released to OEM only... 1.5GB and 3GB cards

Meh, it's probably an attempt to sell "OMG, 3 GB of RAM" to people who buy computers based around numbers, and not the meaning behind them.

/looks shamelessly at self about a year ago

Meh, it's probably an attempt to sell "OMG, 3 GB of RAM" to people who buy computers based around numbers, and not the meaning behind them.

/looks shamelessly at self about a year ago

Numbers are still important, it's just what and how those numbers do, that matter. ;)

thats lame it prolly wont make use of anything over a gig
well it should have 768mb standard with maybe 1.5gb as the option. with a 192bit bus there is no option for just 1gb. 3gb is beyond silly though as even 1.5gb would only be useful in one or two games with that level of gpu.

Well it will impress the average consumer. "Look honey 1.5GB, let's get that one! It's gotta be better than 1GB." Clicks on 440 option, ignores the 460 option that only has 1GB and costs slightly more. o_O

These cards aren't meant for gaming, so try to think of what they are meant for. If you're doing 3D modeling, the more RAM on the video card the better.

These cards aren't meant for gaming, so try to think of what they are meant for. If you're doing 3D modeling, the more RAM on the video card the better.

Wrong. These will go into OEM pre-built systems with a "gaming" tag on them. With the 192-bit bus it'll perform pretty much on-par with a GTS 450, which for an OEM pre-built PC buyer who wants to game, that'll be plenty for them off the bat.

I do want to see how these overclock, and how well two of them work in SLI, especially vs a 5750 Crossfire setup, lol.

I hope they put "required 64-bit OS" in the materials. If you run a 32-bit OS and have a 3GB GPU....

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/carl/nvidia-gt440-released-oem-only/

I find that a bit weird that they are releasing a cheap low end card with 1.5gb and 3gb of memory...

not really. they are behind everything AMD is doing on the low end with the exception of 3d. (for what ever its worth) so they had to offer the OEMs something to run with. a gaming PC with 8gb of ram and 3gb of video ram along with a quad core cpu is got to be good right? This is aimed at the same market the 1gb 9500GT was aimed at. from that standpoint it makes a lot of sense, once you realize they are being sleazy about it. I expect to see these turning up in worst buy by the droves, right across from the Nvidia branded cards. its no different then AMD's "our six to their four" ads. (of course the honest ad would state "we need six cores to their four") its technically true, and in some rare instances will be beneficial, but largely pure marketing bullshit designed to ensnare the ignorant.

They're only gonna be dual-card SLI compatible anyway, a la GTS 450/GTX 460.

Even with quad-SLI, the memory frame buffer will still be 3GB in total, SLIing them won't increase the memory at all. ;)

Sir, you may want to brush up on your simple marketing arithmetic. He said 12GB of memory. Not 12GB of frame buffer. Not 12GB of usable memory. ;)

I hope they put "required 64-bit OS" in the materials. If you run a 32-bit OS and have a 3GB GPU....

Why? A 32-bit OS would handle a 3GB or even a 500GB card just fine. You'd even still have the typical 2.75-3.5GB of usable RAM, depending on hardware implementation.

Um, was this an early-morning pre-coffee slip-up? Or a joke? GPU VRAM has nothing to do with OS.

Two 3gb cards of this performance level really wouldn't be able to make use of that memory unless you play an old game like Painkiller in a three-monitor setup, at 4320x900 or so, with really high quality AA. Since a 440 really won't have the horsepower to play newer games in a three-monitor setup, this scenario probably won't even be very explored.

Wrong. These will go into OEM pre-built systems with a "gaming" tag on them. With the 192-bit bus it'll perform pretty much on-par with a GTS 450, which for an OEM pre-built PC buyer who wants to game, that'll be plenty for them off the bat.

I do want to see how these overclock, and how well two of them work in SLI, especially vs a 5750 Crossfire setup, lol.

I didn't see where the article mentioned gaming systems. That card's photo suggests a design aimed to fit micro ATX boards and be shoved into an HTPC box.

The memory would definitely be a positive for people that off load from the video cam and process their home movies.

Looks like a direct competitor with the 5450.

Why? A 32-bit OS would handle a 3GB or even a 500GB card just fine. You'd even still have the typical 2.75-3.5GB of usable RAM, depending on hardware implementation.

Right, this is because the card is addressed via a (typically) 256MB memory window. This window makes a 256MB block of video memory directly accessible to the CPU at any time, and can be re-mapped to any 256MB section of that 3GB of VRAM on-the-fly.

You can do this with a graphics card and not lose much performance because data is usually written into the memory in blocks, which means you only change the memory window occasionally. Also, as most of you know, the PCIe interface does not get a lot of traffic anyway, so the overhead of the window doesn't hurt things.

The 256MB window means that is all the I/O space you have to reserve, so even SLI/CFX only costs you 512MB on a 32-bit system. Of course, actual available memory varies from system-to-system because of OTHER devices besides the video cards that need memory-mapped I/O.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the 3gb stuff, it's a 144 shader core card that doesn't require extra power. It's like the perfect physx card.

edit:grammar

Last edited:
Sir, you may want to brush up on your simple marketing arithmetic. He said 12GB of memory. Not 12GB of frame buffer. Not 12GB of usable memory. ;)

Word to the bird! I'll make sure to do that, NVIDIA style, haha :D

Um, was this an early-morning pre-coffee slip-up? Or a joke? GPU VRAM has nothing to do with OS.

Yes it does.

In general (excluding PAE on server hardware/OS) 32-bit OSs can address a maximum of 4GB total including memory mapped IO, which GPUs are. If you have 3GB sitting on a GPU then there goes 3 of your 4GB right away. You'd only get to use 1GB of system RAM. For a while it seemed like every day someone was posting "Why do I only see 3.2GB of system RAM?" around [H]. Not sure who's having the pre-coffee slip up here :D

Yes it does.

In general (excluding PAE on server hardware/OS) 32-bit OSs can address a maximum of 4GB total including memory mapped IO, which GPUs are. If you have 3GB sitting on a GPU then there goes 3 of your 4GB right away. You'd only get to use 1GB of system RAM. For a while it seemed like every day someone was posting "Why do I only see 3.2GB of system RAM?" around [H]. Not sure who's having the pre-coffee slip up here :D

Not all of the video card's VRAM is mapped into the CPU's address space.

Yes it does.

Damn you beat me to it :D

so upgrading to a 64bit OS would make the most sense as a first step. Does MS still give out the $15upgrade offer if you bought a 32bit OS like they did when Vista first rolled out?

so upgrading to a 64bit OS would make the most sense as a first step. Does MS still give out the $15upgrade offer if you bought a 32bit OS like they did when Vista first rolled out?

all home/pro/ultimate vista and windows 7 license keys will work with 32 and 64 bit dvds.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

First of all, I would like to point out that this comes from KitGuru. As some people may recall from the lead up to fermi, this site should be avoided like the plague.

I find it weird that it would have so much vram, but don't really see anything particularly wrong with it. I mostly agree with the guess that this is more of micro-atx htpc card though.

thats lame it prolly wont make use of anything over a gig

lol, I bet it could only use 500MB at the most...

I saw a GT210 at best buy, and it had 1GB of RAM, which also was just ridiculous. Also, check out the SLi connection on the top. Since it's an OEM card, who would even build an SLi system with two of those cards?

Back