GTA 4 delayed till 2008

A few places. Majornelson.com had it via a Twitter link. Gamasutra posted one too, linked in the other thread just a minute ago, these two threads popped up at pretty much the same time.

Take Two just announced the highly anticipated (and that's being cautious) Grand Theft Auto IV will be delayed from this its originally scheduled October release date until the second fiscal quarter of 2008, or between February and April of '08. Though no direct cause for the delay was cited, Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick said "certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected."

Translation: We didn't want to go head-to-head with Halo 3. ;) :D

I kid, I kid...

Phew.. i just bought a car and i was getting worried that i wouldnt have enough for that collectors edition. :D . Im just hoping that duffel bag is big enough for my hookah.

This was probably going to be the biggest game for Sony's PS3 holiday lineup. Having this game delayed is kind of bad, considering the 360 will still have games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Project Gotham Racing 4, etc... and of course Halo 3.

Just to add one more link from the horse's mouth--Take 2 itself.

The second fiscal quarter of 2008 (February-April 2008 in calendar terms) is a hell of a delay, though. Take 2's statement refers to "additional development needed," but how much does it need in order to be shoved back at least four to five (if not closer to 6-7) months?

(I suppose this gives me more impetus to revisit Saints Row...)

This was probably going to be the biggest game for Sony's PS3 holiday lineup. Having this game delayed is kind of bad, considering the 360 will still have games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Project Gotham Racing 4, etc... and of course Halo 3.

Your absolutly right the PS3 has nothing coming out worth a shit besides GTA4 that's comparable to the titles you listed....:rolleyes:
Reading this might bring you down to earth a littlehttp://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/features/124008.shtml

Your absolutly right the PS3 has nothing coming out worth a shit besides GTA4 that's comparable to the titles you listed....:rolleyes:
Reading this might bring you down to earth a littlehttp://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/features/124008.shtml

That link says nothing that refutes the point he was just making, about the games available at the holiday season. Very valid point, and this is more of a blow for sony than MS.

But yes, since you posted an unrelated link about how the 360 has hardware problems, that's 100% true. Your article also criticizes the 360 for bleeding money. Funny that you'd cite that in defense of the ps3, which bleeds even more money, sells less, and has a lower software attachment rate.

That's all beside the point, which is that it sucks more for sony than for MS that GTA is delayed.

I stopped expecting games to come out for their "targeted release" years ago. With a game this big, it seemed only a matter of time for them to delay it.
I know there's quite a bit of info out there about the game, but if you think back to GTA:SA - we knew almost EVERYTHING about it before it was released. I bet this game isn't as far along as people think.

What?! I said that GTA IV was going to be the biggest GAME on the PS3 this holiday season, but with it being delayed on both systems, at least Microsoft can fall back on a large number of exclusives, that should do quite well. Your response has nothing to do with games, and the holiday shopping season. Where exactly are you refuting me, and that Sony will in fact have a title, or several titles, of a Halo 3 caliber, this Christmas?

So right back at ya: :rolleyes:

:p

That sucks, but hey, there's an assload of titles coming out this fall so I'm not too bothered.

That list is retarded. #2-6 pretty much apply to Sony too. #1 is being corrected by the fall and will have the 3 year warranty. #3 already has a $50 price drop and another one rumored around the time of Halo 3.

Sony needs heavy hitters for the holiday. And established names too (Such as Halo3) I don't know how much of a system seller Ratchet and Clank are. Lair is getting early bad reviews. Everyone wants Metal Gear and Final Fantasy, two usualy safe IPs.

This is bad news for Sony because Microsoft already has a pretty full plate of exclusive release throughout the end of this year. Sony's biggest chance of moving hardware this year will lie with UT3 which does not have the same mass appeal as GTA would.

Another thing to consider is that a GTA4 release in 2008 can have an adverse affect on the sales of MGS4 which may release around the same time.

I like the delay. I don't feel as pressured (time-wise) to buy a 360.

This is bad news for Sony because Microsoft already has a pretty full plate of exclusive release throughout the end of this year. Sony's biggest chance of moving hardware this year will lie with UT3 which does not have the same mass appeal as GTA would.

Another thing to consider is that a GTA4 release in 2008 can have an adverse affect on the sales of MGS4 which may release around the same time.

Halo 3 and GTA 4 were really the only 2008 titles capable of moving millions of systems. Bioshock, Mass Effect etc... will be ace games but I believe most of their sales will go to existing X360 owners.

At least with the delay, Sony has a chance for another price drop before GTA 4 release. MGS 4, GTA 4, KZ 2 and LBP released over a 2-3 month period combined with another price drop ($399 ?) would get a lot of attention.

I doubt GTA 4 will cannibalize MGS 4 sales unless they literally came out the same week. They're both pretty much "must have" titles IMO.

I'm disappointed GTA 4 was delayed but it sounds like the game really needed extra work.

Ps3's titles coming out for the rest of the year:

Lair
Heavenly Sword
Haze
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Unreal Tournament 3
Time Crisis 4
Warhawk
Folklore
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Multiplatform games:
Assassin's Creed
Stranglehold (CE has Blu-Ray movie on same disc)
Call of Duty 4
Army of Two
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Clive Barker's Jericho

The the OP... that totally sucks about GTA. It doesn't even make any sence. Even before we got a release date for GTA4, Rockstar was all hush-hush about the release date like they usually are, until I guess they knew for sure. And then, now, all of a sudden it's delayed for half a year. Then again, then delay might make it a better game. Even with Take-Two's tight money situation, if they had released it on time, they probably could have sold on just the name itself, but it might have been a lesser game.

Who knows... maybe in half a year they can add a feature that makes the game interesting beyond it's big name.

P.S. This is good news however, because this is probably one of the best holiday/Q4 lineups for a long time, if not ever (for all platforms), so it's not like there's nothing else to fill the gap.

I actually didn't see it coming, but it's not a big deal to me. I was wondering how I was going to juggle all of these great games coming out this fall. I'll be doing most of my gaming on the PC, but there's almost too many good games coming out this year, and my wallet's going to be really bleeding. At least this delay gives me some much needed extra time, and a little money, to play those games.

I know that won't be the case with me...lol. I'd buy MGS over Grand Theft Auto anytime. And, if you think about it, as much as I absolutely love the GTA series, once you've played GTA3, you've pretty much played them all. Besides from the new cars, planes, bikes, and plot line...etc etc.

Halo 3 and GTA 4 were really the only 2008 titles capable of moving millions of systems. Bioshock, Mass Effect etc... will be ace games but I believe most of their sales will go to existing X360 owners.

At least with the delay, Sony has a chance for another price drop before GTA 4 release. MGS 4, GTA 4, KZ 2 and LBP released over a 2-3 month period combined with another price drop ($399 ?) would get a lot of attention.

I disagree with your first point... One by one, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Bioshock, Ace Combat, etc. won't boost 360 hardware sales... But combined, they will probably have quite a significant effect. Rarely are there one or two games that move systems outside of a Halo or a GTA... But 8-10 good games can combine to have the similar effect of one blockbuster.

I completely agree with your second point though. I think this will give Sony time to announce a price break right at the same time as MGS & GTA hit shelves. That *could* be significant for them depending on whether it's feasible for them to aim for the $400 price point at that time and whether MS is able to counter with a $250 Premium unit. It will be interesting, to say the least.

I completely agree with your second point though. I think this will give Sony time to announce a price break right at the same time as MGS & GTA hit shelves. That *could* be significant for them depending on whether it's feasible for them to aim for the $400 price point at that time and whether MS is able to counter with a $250 Premium unit. It will be interesting, to say the least.

Ok so we'll soon have a single model $600 PS3 and by your logic we could be seeing a $200 price cut on it by, say...March of '08? Makes absolutely no sense. A $250 premium unit? Are you this optimistic about everything? If we see another price cut by MS it would likely be to $300 at the lowest. The only way $250 would be logical is to have better competition with the Wii, but Nintendo can just cut that to $200 if they so please. And they should, hell I own one and I'm about ready to sell it because it's just been collecting dust for the past few months.

Ok so we'll soon have a single model $600 PS3 and by your logic we could be seeing a $200 price cut on it by, say...March of '08? Makes absolutely no sense. A $250 premium unit? Are you this optimistic about everything? If we see another price cut by MS it would likely be to $300 at the lowest. The only way $250 would be logical is to have better competition with the Wii, but Nintendo can just cut that to $200 if they so please. And they should, hell I own one and I'm about ready to sell it because it's just been collecting dust for the past few months.

It's widely speculated that when the $500 60GB PS3 is gone, the 80GB will take its place at $500. It only makes sense. Right now they're selling a stupid bundle at $600... Remove that bundle and you have a $500 80GB machine left over (one that costs them less to manufacture than the 60GB, by the way). By November, I expect to see one PS3 on shelves, priced at $500.

Whereas MS is rumored to be clearing out all 90nm consoles with the $50 price cut, which is to be followed by another $50 price cut some time later in the year. That would put the Pro at $300 around November or so.

Rockstar announced that it is delayed until Q2... That's April-June. Let's say it hits in May. It's not unfathomable to think that MS might shave another $50 off the Pro and that Sony might shoot for $400 with the release of MGS and GTA.

I doubt GTA 4 will cannibalize MGS 4 sales unless they literally came out the same week. They're both pretty much "must have" titles IMO.

I'm disappointed GTA 4 was delayed but it sounds like the game really needed extra work.

more than likely all those games you listed will be delayed. kz2 i can almost guaranteed aint gonna come out til q4 2008 the earliest. considering the cgi trailer was shown like 3 yrs ago and they finally were able to show a gameplay demo, theres no chance in hell itd make it on time.

I'm so happy it's delayed...I was about to cancel my preorder because I wasn't confident they were going to fix all of the technical problems that people who've seen it played or played it were talking about by release. Lots of people complained of bad framerates and pop-in and other stuff. I thought they were just going to rush it to get it out for the holidays. There's plenty of other stuff coming out in the next few months anyway.

Yey, less temptation! I'm trying to hold out on getting a 360 till later this year.

Normally this would be horrible news but with the amount of (hopefully) good games coming for the 360 this fall it shouldn't be too painful.;)

Normally this would be horrible news but with the amount of (hopefully) good games coming for the 360 this fall it shouldn't be too painful.;)

Exactly. There's at least a half a dozen games coming out between now and December, that I really want. Plenty to keep my busy past 07 and well into 08.

LOL is that why? first pgr4 cant fit on a dvd9 now gta4? LOL and who said that dvd9 is more than suitable for the size of next gen games? ahh well all the ps3 fanboys must be laughing at MS LOL. i have a 360 btw and i am by no means a fanboy of any. if the ps3 managed to overtake MS then i dont see why i should purchase a ps3. at least it works unlike a 360

Funny how the xbox 360 is getting the extra content but it's limited by DVD space.

If the 360's lineup without GTA4 is so great, then why have its sales decreased month after month since the beginning of the year? Why does it sell moderately well in N. America, poorly in PAL regions, and next to nothing in Japan? Why has the PS3 been outselling it in Europe and Japan without a price cut?

The 360's software library is actually one of its worst enemies. It targets one core audience(older american males) with a healthy dose of shooters, racing/driving sims, and sports games, but it still doesn't have a prominent platformer, JRPG, adventure game, fighting game, or "offbeat" racing game(ala Mario Kart, F-Zero, Wipeout, ATV Offroad Fury, or Motorstorm). You'd think the opposite would be true after almost two years on the market, and it certainly doesn't help that MS is just now doing a price drop for a lousy $50(and it's doubtful there'll be another one before Christmas like some people are hoping).

That being said, does the delay of GTAIV hurt the PS3 this holiday season? Yes, of course, but in the long run it could end up hurting the 360, because by the time GTAIV is actually, released, the PS3 could see another price drop, and Socom4, Little Big Planet, Killzone2, and MGS4 will release around the same time.

If the 360's lineup without GTA4 is so great, then why have its sales decreased month after month since the beginning of the year? Why does it sell moderately well in N. America, poorly in PAL regions, and next to nothing in Japan? Why has the PS3 been outselling it in Europe and Japan without a price cut?

First, sales are decreasing because there's no price drop and people are waiting for one now, on principal if nothing else. That said, sales went up last month and they're going to rocket in September with Halo 3. Please don't try saying that Halo fans already have the 360... some do, but most have had no reason to buy one until now.

Second, PS3 only outsells the 360 in certain Euro regions (mainly south). Overall PS3 and 360 sales in Europe have been equal up to last month with the introduction of the new PS3 bundle.

That all said, this is probably better news for PS3 than 360. But helps neither push more consoles as more people will be content to wait.

Well lets see... In a few months it'll have been 2 years since the console first came out. There is a worldwide userbase of 10 million +. To top it off there hasn't been a price cut yet, to get the more casual gamer on board. I have a feeling sales will turn around with a price cut and/or the launch of Halo 3.

The 360's software library is actually one of its worst enemies. It targets one core audience(older american males) with a healthy dose of shooters, racing/driving sims, and sports games, but it still doesn't have a prominent platformer, JRPG, adventure game, fighting game, or "offbeat" racing game(ala Mario Kart, F-Zero, Wipeout, ATV Offroad Fury, or Motorstorm).

There are definitely some genres that aren't covered well, but they're coming. I think there are two JRPGs coming in the next 2 months, if I'm not mistaken. I think they've already done a better job with certain games and genres then during the previous Xbox's entire lifespan. Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata are already two games we never saw on the original Xbox.

it certainly doesn't help that MS is just now doing a price drop for a lousy $50(and it's doubtful there'll be another one before Christmas like some people are hoping).

I agree, they should have done a price drop a while ago, but they felt they didn't need to, with the PS3 priced so high. As far as it being doubtful there will be another price drop before Christmas... It's just speculation on your part, and has about as much validity as somebody who says there will be.

Back