GTS 450 to GTX 460 upgrade...

Yes, it would be worthwhile almost regardless of what you play.

6850 would be another option to look into.

Going from a gts 450 to a gtx 460 is going from the 400 line's low tier to their mid tier. The 460 packs a punch for it's price. I would make sure to pick up the 1gb version though, as 768mb just doesn't really cut it anymore. You should be able to make most your money back selling your 450 if you still have it.

Raw speed alone, what is a 9600GT to the GTS 450? Was thinking of putting the GTS 450 in my son's PC if I ever go to the 460.

Okay, what about a 1GB 550 Ti? Is it faster than a 460 1GB?

a gts450 is probably about twice as fast as the 9600gt depending on the game and settings used of course.

you can google gtx460 and gtx550ti reviews you know? where do you think people that reply will be getting their answers from?

Err please don't use hwcompare, quite honestly these days a good deal of the numbers you see there are meaningless as "real world performance" can be constrained by multiple other parts of architectures.

I would recommend you to look up at TechPowerup articles, they tend to have great comparisons in the ammount of cards shown, and well since the 450 is "newer" time wise i would look at some 450 review to see 460 numbers alongside... heck brb i will edit this post in a bit.

EDIT TO ADD:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTS_450_SLI/23.html

There ya go bro, have a good one (it has 9600, 450, 460 and 450 sli numbers)

Much appreciated! Now, I'm eyeing a GTX 470.
good grief no. why would you get one of those when there are better cards that use way less power for around the same price? you really do not look at video card reviews do you?

I looked at the chart that's why I go with the 470 for twice the speed of 450 and 1.5x of the 460. But looks like I just got an offer, so for the price, so I will go with 460.

I went with the GTX 470. Might get the 460 as well, for my son's PC.
IMO that was a very poor choice. the gtx470 is loud, hot and uses a ton of power. the newer gtx470 cards though do seem to run quieter and cooler than the release cards.

so where did you get a gtx470 from? was it new or used? how much did you pay?

It's actually very quiet. I like it. Got it locally here, from another user, so it's used. I paid $150 for it.

I could have gotten a 460 for $105 as well. I'm still thinking of jumping the gun on that one, too.

$105 for a (1gb) gtx 460 is a great deal. I'm sure your son would enjoy it immensely. While the gtx 470 did put out a fair amount of heat and use a lot of power, it's still a very strong performing card. And for $150 you'll get your money's worth. Have fun and enjoy your purchase!

Well, for those that can't spend money freely, buying used is the way to go. Having said that, I am saving a little to jump on the IB platform launching in April.

IMO that was a very poor choice. the gtx470 is loud, hot and uses a ton of power. the newer gtx470 cards though do seem to run quieter and cooler than the release cards.

so where did you get a gtx470 from? was it new or used? how much did you pay?

I disagree. Almost every GTX470 with the reference cooling can obtain overclocks that bring them on par to GTX480/570 performance levels. (And 480 performance levels are still way more then enough for most games unless you play at the ultra-high 30''/triple monitor resolutions)

Considering how cheap one can currently acquire a GTX470 right now - They are a wonderful choice if one doesn't mind the fan noise.

I've seen a number of GTX470's going for $150 on Ebay. As good as the 460 is - The 470 really is a much better card and you don't have to spend much more over the 460 to get one.

Better yet find a GTX465 and just unlock it to a 470 as almost every 465 released was just a softlocked 470.

Last edited:
I disagree. Almost every GTX470 with the reference cooling can obtain overclocks that bring them on par to GTX480/570 performance levels. (And 480 performance levels are still way more then enough for most games unless you play at the ultra-high 30''/triple monitor resolutions)

Considering how cheap one can currently acquire a GTX470 right now - They are a wonderful choice if one doesn't mind the fan noise.

I've seen a number of GTX470's going for $150 on Ebay. As good as the 460 is - The 470 really is a much better card and you don't have to spend much more over the 460 to get one.

Better yet find a GTX465 and just unlock it to a 470 as almost every 465 released was just a softlocked 470.
I have used both a gtx470 and gtx570 and the gtx470 was an abysmal experience in comparison. it was very loud , ran hot as hell and used a too much power for its performance. overclocking only made all of those issues worse and was not worth it IMO. the gtx470 is much quieter now then they were at release and for 150 bucks its not bad.

I don't see how the 470 can be 'quieter now'. A reference 470 is a reference 470. In the end, however, they are monster overclockers.

Yes, they are hot. Yes, they are noisy. This doesn't change the fact that if one is willing to overclock them they are well worth their price.

Again, GTX480 performance levels for half the cost ($150 average on ebay) is nothing to scoff at.

Of course the GTX570 is a better card. It's a 480 that runs cooler and uses less power - But on average 570's are going for $120 more on ebay right now. Personally, i'll save the $100, deal with a the noise, and get the same performance.

So, I decided to also get the GTX 460. For the price...can't get any better now.

I don't see how the 470 can be 'quieter now'. A reference 470 is a reference 470. In the end, however, they are monster overclockers.

Yes, they are hot. Yes, they are noisy. This doesn't change the fact that if one is willing to overclock them they are well worth their price.

Again, GTX480 performance levels for half the cost ($150 average on ebay) is nothing to scoff at.

Of course the GTX570 is a better card. It's a 480 that runs cooler and uses less power - But on average 570's are going for $120 more on ebay right now. Personally, i'll save the $100, deal with a the noise, and get the same performance.
the gtx470 and gtx480 are now nothing like what was originally released. power consumption and resulting heat/noise were greatly reduced over time.

again the release cards were pretty ridiculous even at stock so overclocking made things laughably loud and hot.

Huh?

The GTX470 and 480 were only ever GF100. I fail to see how they ever released something with the same nomenclature that wasn't GF100. Nor can I buy a brand new GTX470/480 right now. I can buy a GTX570, but thats not a 'GTX480'.

It doesn't matter if the GTX470/480 got 'laughably loud and hot'. In the end nearly every card had massive overclocking capability. I've got my reference GTX470's clocked at 800mhz, and they bench higher then vanilla 480's all the while staying under 80c.

Again, it may be hot and noisy - But for $150 you can pickup a 470 and easily get 480/570 performance out of it. You can't buy a 570, or even a 480 for anywhere near that price.

Last edited:
the gtx470 and gtx480 are now nothing like what was originally released. power consumption and resulting heat/noise were greatly reduced over time.

again the release cards were pretty ridiculous even at stock so overclocking made things laughably loud and hot.

I'm skeptical like Mchart. I'd appreciate a link. It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to see for myself.

So I guess they made an A4 revision or something?

Nice, you picked up the 460 too. Two great cards for about the cost of a 560ti, that's awesome. Enjoy the father/son gaming!

I did this upgrade and I got like at least a 20 fps increase in every game I play, which might not seem like a lot, but I was getting 30 fps in some games, now I'm getting 50+ fps which I think is a huge difference.

Huh?

The GTX470 and 480 were only ever GF100. I fail to see how they ever released something with the same nomenclature that wasn't GF100. Nor can I buy a brand new GTX470/480 right now. I can buy a GTX570, but thats not a 'GTX480'.

It doesn't matter if the GTX470/480 got 'laughably loud and hot'. In the end nearly every card had massive overclocking capability. I've got my reference GTX470's clocked at 800mhz, and they bench higher then vanilla 480's all the while staying under 80c.

Again, it may be hot and noisy - But for $150 you can pickup a 470 and easily get 480/570 performance out of it. You can't buy a 570, or even a 480 for anywhere near that price.
if it is annoyingly loud, which is was to me, then I dont care if it is free. I was more than happy going back to my gtx260 then having to deal with the racket.

the gf100 matured I guess because later models ran much cooler and required much less voltage. that resulted in lower noise of course. there have been people that added another gtx470 or gtx480 down the road and found out they were indeed better than launch cards. there is a thread about this on Anandtech but the forums are down for me at this moment. I will post a link here when the forums come back up.

Last edited:
I did a little Furmark bench test and the GTS 450 gets 13 FPS avg while the GTX 470 gets 24 FPS avg! I think the GTX 460 is going to be in between 18-20 FPS avg.

Back