GTS 8800 640MB PCI - How connect "Additional Power" cables?

vietpho

Limp Gawd
power.jpg

Ok, so I have that hole. And I have this 2 end cable that has 3 pins each.
14-130-071-09.jpg

I am assuming that thing gets plugged into the first image and those two end 3 pins get plugged somehow to my Corsair HX 620 PSU?

Please assist me! Be detailed as possible please.

I haven't gone to sleep yet.

You have 2 options. Either your PSU has a connector that matches the number of pins and shape of the receptacle on your video card (which you SHOULD have, since you have an HX 620),

OR

You use 2 extra molex connectors to plug into the 3-pin PCI-E adapter that came with your video card, then plug that adapter into the receptacle on the card.

I would definitely advise you to use the connector that comes on a modular cable with your PSU, since it provides the least resistance and the least clutter. I mean, let's face it, one extra joint in the connection isn't likely to skyrocket resistance, but every little bit helps.

If your PSU came with 6-pin PCI-E power connectors (like my Silverstone did), then you may have a 6 to 3 pin adapter in your PSU's stuff, or you may have a separate modular cable that has a 3 pin plug on it natively.

Oh, and it's not good to steal bandwidth from other sites. If you want to keep your pic up, save it to your computer and then upload it to www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.us for free.

There should be a PCIe power connector coming out of your PSU already -- that adapter that came with the card is only for use with older PSUs that don't have this cable. Just look at the connectors that came with the PSU -- one should have the same kind of end on it as the adapter (two white plugs to one black plug thing). Use that instead.

Jesus christ. I'm having so much trouble removing the stock cooler...

I only removed 8 screws (the tutorial shows 11 screws). Are there only 8 screws on the back of this GPU? (Exclude the 2 black side screws)

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1031403946 said:
You have 2 options. Either your PSU has a connector that matches the number of pins and shape of the receptacle on your video card (which you SHOULD have, since you have an HX 620),

OR

You use 2 extra molex connectors to plug into the 3-pin PCI-E adapter that came with your video card, then plug that adapter into the receptacle on the card.

I would definitely advise you to use the connector that comes on a modular cable with your PSU, since it provides the least resistance and the least clutter. I mean, let's face it, one extra joint in the connection isn't likely to skyrocket resistance, but every little bit helps.

If your PSU came with 6-pin PCI-E power connectors (like my Silverstone did), then you may have a 6 to 3 pin adapter in your PSU's stuff, or you may have a separate modular cable that has a 3 pin plug on it natively.

There's no such thing as a 3-pin PCIe power connector. Look at the top picture again -- there are 6 pins. PCIe power connectors come in one of two types, 6 pin and 8 pin, with either 2 rows of 3 pins or 2 rows of 4 pins. The 8800 series uses 6 pin PCIe connectors, one on the GTS, 2 on the GTX and Ultra.

Jesus christ. I'm having so much trouble removing the stock cooler...

I only removed 8 screws (the tutorial shows 11 screws). Are there only 8 screws on the back of this GPU? (Exclude the 2 black side screws)

You have to take all the screws out with the larger, flat heads. It should be fairly obvious which are needed -- sorry but I can't remember the exact number necessary.. You also have to take out the 2 black screws that go in to the bracket on the end. The thing is probably going to be stuck on their pretty well -- try to twist it and see if it moves. If so, slide it around until you break the seal the paste forms between the heatsink and the heatspreader on the core.

N/m the above post. I found out where they go. It seems i'm suppose to haev an 8-pin extra not being plugged in anything.

N/m the above post. I found out where they go. It seems i'm suppose to haev an 8-pin extra not being plugged in anything.

Some motherboards use the 8 pin, some use a 4 pin instead. It varies. My eVGA 680i uses the 8 pin.

Back