GTX 260/280 price cuts HAVE COME!

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
GTX 260: $300 shipped, minus a $40 rebate = $260 AR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127361
Rebate: http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/rebate/SH/MSI14-127-360Jul1Jul3108cd12.pdf

GTX 280 overclocked edition: $499 - 40 rebate = $459 + 10 shipping = $469 shipped AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127360

Others are dropping too, and the PNY 260 has a $50 rebate but hasn't dropped its price just yet, if it does go to $299 - 50 rebate, that would be a great deal.

Me too, this is awesome. Hope we get some ATI loving too.

I'm quite sure they'll want to maintain a good price advantage despite their great performance, and they certainly have the room to in manufacturing costs with their small chip. I smell $260 or less 4870s incoming soon.

This is true, theoretically they should be much more flexible. I don't think we'll see any more price cuts at this point unless Nvidia's partners are willing to cry uncle. Who knows though?

Haha good news. I probably can't wait till after July to get a 4870x2 so I'll just buy two 260s.

$460 for a GTX 280!
I had to pinch myself and clean my glasses to make sure I was not hallucinating...

My next card will either be the GTX 280 or R700.

I'm admittedly pissed. I paid $120 for my step up and it just shipped TODAY. I have sent them an email asking them to kindly refund me the difference since my step up wasn't completed until after the price change.

Thank goodness I controlled my impulsiveness and stayed with my current graphics card. I'll wait and see what Ati's response would be and then probably decide which route to take. By the way, the 4970X2 looks really compelling as well.

I feel bad for the folks that paid $600 for the 280.

I was one of those persons and I don't feel bad at all. Why? Because this ALWAYS HAPPENS!!!!

I'll never understand this mentality. I've been a software developer for 16 years. I've used computers and purchased computer products for the majority of my life. The first hard drive I saw cost $2500 and was 5MB back in 1984. I know, we all know that if you wait the specs go up and the price goes down on computer hardware.

Early adopters buy early because they want to have the latest and greatest for the little time that whatever they bought is the latest and greatest knowing full well that if they'd waited it would have been cheaper.

Any real enthusiast knows this and and its not new. Hell I bought three 280 at $650 and knew that they'd been cheaper in quick order. Would I do it again. Actually from what I've seen from 3x SLI HELL YES!!!

SLI is finally prime time baby!:D

I was one of those persons and I don't feel bad at all. Why? Because this ALWAYS HAPPENS!!!!

I'll never understand this mentality. I've been a software developer for 16 years. I've used computers and purchased computer products for the majority of my life. The first hard drive I saw cost $2500 and was 5MB back in 1984. I know, we all know that if you wait the specs go up and the price goes down on computer hardware.

Early adopters buy early because they want to have the latest and greatest for the little time that whatever they bought is the latest and greatest knowing full well that if they'd waited it would have been cheaper.

Any real enthusiast knows this and and its not new. Hell I bought three 280 at $650 and knew that they'd been cheaper in quick order. Would I do it again. Actually from what I've seen from 3x SLI HELL YES!!!

SLI is finally prime time baby!:D

Well actually, if you had waited, for the price of 3 GTX 280's you could have had the 4th one free. Hence you would have been enjoying Quad Sli
*no pun intended, just having fun*

With a price cut so early im guessing they were either intentionally trying to squeeze every dollar out of us or they are taking a decent hit now.

NOW THIS IS WHY COMPETITION IS GOOD!
Let Nvidia win and you get overpriced performance wize.

Well actually, if you had waited, for the price of 3 GTX 280's you could have had the 4th one free. Hence you would have been enjoying Quad Sli
*no pun intended, just having fun*

And my point was that I knew that was going to happen sooner or later when I bought them. In fact if I had never bought a computer product in my life and had invested the money instead in oil futures I wouldn't have to work now!:p

You can always wait. The question is if you'll still be alive.:)

DEFINITELY stepping up when EVGA updates their MSRPs...$30 + s/h to go from 9800GTX to GTX260? NO BRAINER.

luckily i have 40 days left so no sweat and no hurry...

With a price cut so early im guessing they were either intentionally trying to squeeze every dollar out of us or they are taking a decent hit now.
i'm wager on hit, myself. many reports show nvidia making considerably less money per card than most of their previous cards.

also, most places have 30 day price match policies or are willing to work with you if they dont. early adopters are used to getting shafted, only usually it takes a few weeks!

I wouldn't expect much of a drop if any from ATI unless their sales start to drop considerably. Remember that this was a response from Nvidia to make the price/performance of the 260 and 280 closer to that of the 4850 and 4870 and now they are.

You would think that this would take off pressure from existing stocks of 4870s, which would allow ATI to fully stock etailers and begin lowering the prices in order to compete.

Now we are getting competition. And yes prices do drop, that is true, but usually not this fast or this much....

And my point was that I knew that was going to happen sooner or later when I bought them. In fact if I had never bought a computer product in my life and had invested the money instead in oil futures I wouldn't have to work now!:p

You can always wait. The question is if you'll still be alive.:)

Then again it was just a matter of waiting 9 more days and observing the performance of the HD48X0 series. I am sure some of the 'real' enthusiasts would have subsided their temptations to take a look at the competition.

evga doesnt update the msrp, look at the older cards. they will not refund any price difference between the egg and msrp either on stepup. that is just the way it is. that is why you have to look at the street value of your card, and current retail prices elsewhere to see if stepup is a good option. You may be better off selling your card yourself and buying one at retail that is lower than msrp.

wow, now i get get a gtx280 for the price of a gtx260. might after t bite after i see how much i have left after i get my 28 inch monitor.

1 gtx280 > 2 8800gt yeah? for gaming?

DEFINITELY stepping up when EVGA updates their MSRPs...$30 + s/h to go from 9800GTX to GTX260? NO BRAINER.

luckily i have 40 days left so no sweat and no hurry...

The MSRP has not actually changed, just the cost to the manufacturers. Retailer/Etailers can now afford to sell the card cheaper but the SRP will be left alone to protect some outfits, like the ones that offer step up/trade up.

wow, now i get get a gtx280 for the price of a gtx260. might after t bite after i see how much i have left after i get my 28 inch monitor.

1 gtx280 > 2 8800gt yeah? for gaming?

gtx 280 will own two 8800gt cards, especially at the higher rez of your 28inch.

woot, thanks. guess i should take the dive then, since its going to be my gaming/hdtv tuner/ps3/xbox 360 rig.

I have two that just shipped from Newegg... I'm going to live chat them tomorrow (if they're open) or Monday and demand a $150 refund per card, because I haven't even received them yet and they've dropped quite a bit.

I have two that just shipped from Newegg... I'm going to live chat them tomorrow (if they're open) or Monday and demand a $150 refund per card, because I haven't even received them yet and they've dropped quite a bit.

worst case scenario, refuse shipment, you'll get a full refund, then reorder

Back