GTX 280 Power Saving Issue

what sort of temps are you getting at idle and load?

I idle around 67c and can get up to 84 or 85 at load...

at stock clocks I idle at around 47c (50% fan) at 640 core i go to 53 c (98% fan)

full load at stock clocks i am 72 c(98% fan) at 640 core I am hitting 79-80c (98% fan)

PS, temps reported via EVGA Precision and i used maual fan speed settings then set them up as profiles. I go to my oc profile when i run Crysis everything high no AA 1920x1200 or COD4 2560x1600 all setttings maxed. I get the feeling my card will do 700 but i am taking my time moving her up.

see those temps aren't so bad..i'm wondering why i'm idling so high. my case is pretty well ventilated too. it is summer where I am but I haven't noticed much change in card temp if it is a hotter day than usual. i hope my high idle temps don't cause problems with the card...what do you think?

see those temps aren't so bad..i'm wondering why i'm idling so high. my case is pretty well ventilated too. it is summer where I am but I haven't noticed much change in card temp if it is a hotter day than usual. i hope my high idle temps don't cause problems with the card...what do you think?

I have a TJ09 with dual 120's blowing down from the top, a 120 intake mid drift dedicated to video (check out the case at the silverstone site you will see what i mean) a 120 on the hd's and a 120 on the Cpu cooler push pull with a 120 exhaust. I would be try to keep load temp under 85 if at all possible. The chips are fin to 100 but thats just me.

100-105 to me is red territory

Off topic:
If anyone is interested here is my Rivatuner Low-level Fan settings:

Duty cycle min 25
Duty cycle max 75
T min 84
T range 5
T operating 90
T low limit 0
T high limit 151

You have a "funky" fan control setup there, it means that above 84 *C the fan will ramp up from 25% duty cycle towards 75% at 84+5=89 *C. Above 90*C the dynamic Tmin control kicks in and after that the ADT7473 IC dictates the fan speed.
Another very important thing is that there is a temperature offset between the NVThermalDiode and ADT7473, so probably you have much higher temperatures than you think. ;)

Hi,

Hoping if another fellow owner of a GTX280 can confirm the issue of the card NOT underclocking while in Windows mode.

As stated by all the reviews out there now, this card should consume less power than a 8800GT while sitting idle in Windows. GPU goes down to 300MHz, Memory down to 100MHz, etc.

However in both the Nvidia System Tool and GPU-z 0.2.3, no underclocking as described above is observed. The clocks stay at default.

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem; no downclocking; using Nvidia official drivers and EVGA 280; seems like it's a software problem (I hope drivers can fix).

At least my card runs cool even not downclocking; stays at 69 and doesn't go over 76 running TF2; so I'm ok. At least it's not STAYING downclocked like some others.

I have the same problem; no downclocking; using Nvidia official drivers and EVGA 280; seems like it's a software problem (I hope drivers can fix).

At least my card runs cool even not downclocking; stays at 69 and doesn't go over 76 running TF2; so I'm ok. At least it's not STAYING downclocked like some others.

pretty much same temps for me, 67 idle, but never really gets over 78 while playing games

My EVGA 260 is clocked to 695/1465/1150. However I am looking at the Precision sotware right now, and obviously I am not under load, it tells me that my current clocks are 301/602/1188 so my card must be down clocking. One thing though, if my card is clocked at 1150 for memory, why is it showing 1188?

pretty much same temps for me, 67 idle, but never really gets over 78 while playing games

Just a note here, if you play crysis I bet it will break 82C easy...that game kills temps. Still, 82C is nothing to worry about. My other 2 cards got up to 100-103C in crysis after a few minutes! The BFG would artifact at those temps in game. So if you're getting that high a temp ever it's a big problem.

Just a note here, if you play crysis I bet it will break 82C easy...that game kills temps. Still, 82C is nothing to worry about. My other 2 cards got up to 100-103C in crysis after a few minutes! The BFG would artifact at those temps in game. So if you're getting that high a temp ever it's a big problem.

yeah, i'm sure its fine..

also, as you said in your other thread and for anyone still following, the cards will downclock if you turn off dual monitors. my bfg oc wouldn't downclock, as soon as i turned off my second monitor and reset the system it downclocked itself. i know we had all discussed this being some sort of issue with motherboard chipset, but i don't think that is the case. hopefully this gets fixed with a driver revision

I would guess it's a minimum power useage threshold. The draw with dual monitors would have it set just above the throttle down point? Might be a card BIOS or driver setting.

One thing though, if my card is clocked at 1150 for memory, why is it showing 1188?

Because, even though you can specify 1MHz increments, there are only certain multipliers that the memory can actually be clocked to in practice, and you're seeing rounding to the nearest valid multiplier.

Back