GTX 470 anyone?

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
Since most of the dies will end up as the GTX 470, is there anyone here plans to buy the GTX 470?

with a MSRP of $350, it doesn't separate itself from the 5850 enough

5850s have recently gone as low as $220ish dollars albeit OEM and 3 month warranty

With these price to performance ratios, nVidia hasn't done a thing to make average fanboy run out and get these. Most of us would realize we'd be massive suckers for doing that.

However, there are still enough silent extremists out there who will buy up these cards to the point where they will be out of stock just like ATI's and nVidia will be doing well.

I can understand why some people might opt for the GTX480, but the 470 has bugger all going for it right now. Unless it gets a price drop before it is even released, or they conjure up some extra performance via drivers. Wih UK prices I could either order a 5870 and get it the next day, or pre-order the slower GTX470 for the same money and wait for the product to actually launch. Hmmm, decisions.....

As much as I like nvidia, who in their right mind would buy a [email protected] when the 5850 is so much less for equal performance, seriously. You gotta be nuts at that pricepoint. Simply makes no sense.

I don't see a $100 price cut coming, not sure why so many people think it will since the 400s are very expensive to make and will probably still sell well.

I don't see a $100 price cut coming, not sure why so many people think it will since the 400s are very expensive to make and will probably still sell well.

I'm not planning on one either, but I'm just stating what it might take to change my buying preference.

whatever they do they do and ya they probably won't cut 100 off at least not right away. Doesn't change the fact that in hardware enthusiast circles like ours and others the 470 is pretty much doa at 350. Simple as that.

I was thinking about getting one but after seeing the reviews I might opt for the GTX 480.

whatever they do they do and ya they probably won't cut 100 off at least not right away. Doesn't change the fact that in hardware enthusiast circles like ours and others the 470 is pretty much doa at 350. Simple as that.

Doesn't change the fact they can't afford to make a loss on them, it should also be said that none of NVs last generation dropped that much.

Seems like it could end up being Nvs redheaded stepchild..I originally thought it was competing with the 5870 and thus could have been a sweet card but thats not the case..470 SLI could be the sleeper combo though..

I'll wait for the 480 refresh or maybe grab something from ATi cause they gotta have refreshes in the works.

Doesn't change the fact they can't afford to make a loss on them, it should also be said that none of NVs last generation dropped that much.

The GTX 260's price plummeted. It launched at $400 and could eventually be had for under $200.

The GTX 260's price plummeted. It launched at $400 and could eventually be had for under $200.

I think they mean recent prices. $200+ for a GTX260 is outrageous when the similar performing 5770 can be had for $140-$160. I've been waiting for GTX260's to come down to $130-$150 range to replace a finicky 8800GT-SLI set up.

I'd wait for nVidia to do an 8800GTX to 8800GT refinement on the 480/470 if you want an nVidia card.

If I were building from the ground up today, I'd get a 5850 and OC it, or get two and do Crossfire. 5850 will catch or slightly pass a stock 5870 when it makes 878 on the core.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_hd_5850_performance_preview/page19.asp

I know folks with 5850s doing 950-1k on the core with MSI's Afterburner.

I can understand why some people might opt for the GTX480, but the 470 has bugger all going for it right now. Unless it gets a price drop before it is even released, or they conjure up some extra performance via drivers. Wih UK prices I could either order a 5870 and get it the next day, or pre-order the slower GTX470 for the same money and wait for the product to actually launch. Hmmm, decisions.....

This... :(

Maybe nVidia launches it at $300 to be competitive with the 5850? That would make people really consider it and would be SMART of nVidia to do. Of course ATI can just drop the 5850 to $230-$270 or release a 5860 with 5870 clock speeds but with the 1440 shader units for $310.

Finally someone who thinks that GTX 470 is a good card:
No, I'm not thinking about it either anymore. Sold my 5870 last week as well, and now have a 470 on pre-order from Frys.com now (I decided since I could switch for free that way, I would save the extra $150). Can't wait for it to get here... let's just say a 9800GT 512 is not fun for 2560x1600 gaming in the meantime :p. +/-5% of the 5870 like some of the reviews are showing, in my own personal system, and I'll be happy.

Assuming it was priced competitively, which you've got to assume it eventually will be or people won't buy it I think load noise too high for me. Maybe if both price was competitive and some uber custom cooling was put on I'd consider it.

Nobody has mentioned that the card isn't even available yet and I see no reason it will not be sold above MSRP like the current ATi products. That would really slim the market down for them.

I was, but greatly dissapointed with price/performance and heat, so next ill probably get a 5850 or a 5870 and 2 more 22" monitors :)

Still up in the air, I think it's got potential, but need to see how the multi-monitor gaming goes and what all cards can be used along side of them as well as how SLI works for the 470's.

I won't shell out hundred's on adapters just to game on multiple screens, but i'm also not going to buy another power supply (so SLI 480's are out).

If ATI would allow use of both cards outputs, 5850's in crossfire would be a much nicer option.

nope.

it would be a downgrade at this point. Waiting on a 495 (and hopefully a die shrink) before I pull the trigger

either that or maybe go with a 5970 (when they come down a bit in price)

The GTX470 is medium sized kid in the schoolyard you think looks normal, but inside he could either be a psycho or a complete pussy. It's really hard to tell right now if it is a good value based on performance, because it's pretty much in the middle.

However due to the current state of prices and the other drawbacks with the card, I don't think anybody but the really optimistic can recommend it.

This is coming from someone for sure getting at least one 480.

Back