GTX 480 Owners Thread

Not sure what you mean by upside down. My H50 is installed in the same position that Corsair uses in their how-to video at the Corsair website.

As in the pipes from the pump are at the top and the written "Corsair" is upside down. I just read some reports that it helps cool it 3 to 5 degrees due to air bubbles. Not sure how valid these are but can't hurt right :p. My i7 920 @ 3.67 vcore 1.18 idles at around 30 degrees C and 55 degrees C at load on prime. Switched to a H50 from a TRUE120 to give the 480GTX more "breathing room" :cool:.

480 + CH IV Formula

screenshot001re.jpg

Anyone else having trouble running L4D2 with high or ultra high shader detail? It crashes to desktop if I set it higher than medium shader detail :S.

Anyone else having trouble running L4D2 with high or ultra high shader detail? It crashes to desktop if I set it higher than medium shader detail :S.

driver issue I believe.. it ain't mature yet..

GTX 480 is the only card that I have this issue... switch back to 5870 solved...

driver issue I believe.. it ain't mature yet..

GTX 480 is the only card that I have this issue... switch back to 5870 solved...

Yes, I saw the same problem. This driver will be replaced with the 256 driver for 3D Vision Surround support in the next week or two anyway.

As in the pipes from the pump are at the top and the written "Corsair" is upside down. I just read some reports that it helps cool it 3 to 5 degrees due to air bubbles. Not sure how valid these are but can't hurt right :p. My i7 920 @ 3.67 vcore 1.18 idles at around 30 degrees C and 55 degrees C at load on prime. Switched to a H50 from a TRUE120 to give the 480GTX more "breathing room" :cool:.

Voltage definitely increases the heat load on the i7s. You're running nice low voltage.

Ok so my 3x GTX 480s are now in my room, so I guess that makes me an official owner. Pictures to come later.
Then maybe some benches, but I think I'll play Mass Effect 2 and Just Cause 2 first. :)

Ok so my 3x GTX 480s are now in my room, so I guess that makes me an official owner. Pictures to come later.
Then maybe some benches, but I think I'll play Mass Effect 2 and Just Cause 2 first. :)

Congrats! You'll have your three in a single rig before me since I have to do a new build so we'll all be intrested in seeing what you get.

I wouldn't worry about ME2, just not performance hungry enough. Do you have Metro 2033? That's the new Crysis.

Enjoy!

So as promised here are some quick pix. I currently have a single GTX 480 plugged in and I'm running the 197.55 drivers. Wanted to make sure everything was solid first before I added additional cards.

These are just the EVGA GTX 480 SC with the tshirts:
103_6475_8x6.jpg

These are all 3 of the GTX 480s New In Box:
103_6477_8x6.jpg

103_6478_8x6.jpg

103_6480_8x6.jpg

Size comparison between the new GTX 480 and the massive HD 5970:
103_6483_8x6.jpg

This is the eVGA GTX 480 in my rig:
103_6485_8x6.jpg

I think that's enough pics for now.
More to come later...

Congrats! You'll have your three in a single rig before me since I have to do a new build so we'll all be intrested in seeing what you get.

I wouldn't worry about ME2, just not performance hungry enough. Do you have Metro 2033? That's the new Crysis.

Enjoy!

I don't have Metro2033 but I think I'll pick it up later if it's a fun game.

Jesus, I thought I had done well to secure one GTX 480, but look at this cat above me with 3 of them!

So what do you guys think about your card(s)? Me, I can't wait to spend the weekend in front of my PC playing Just Cause 2 maxed out, and at least one of the older titles that didn't run well on my GTX 275.

Stalker Clear Sky is really calling to me - that opening sequence, at the Clear Sky base camp, ran like crap on my 275, and I was delighted to see it running at about 30fps maxed out, with 4x AA, on my new card... there's only one way to play these titles, and that's at maxed out settings baby! The ironic thing is that Clear Sky was the first title I bought for my 275 last spring.

What made me realize that the GTX 480 has surpassed my expectations was when I ran a huge battle in Napoleon Total War - my 275 wasn't struggling with this title per say, but shifting all the sliders up to Ultra, and increasing the unit sizes, and seeing everything running at a silky smooth frame rate without any glitches at all was pretty mind blowing - how can it be so smooth, with so much happening onscreen, and with such detail? What really shocked me though was that the fan never came on. It still hasn't ramped up, and I spent at least 4 hours last night testing a bunch of titles.

But if you had said to me that the Galaxy 480 would end up being a much quieter card than that f'ing Twin Frozer gtx 275 of mine from MSI I would've thought you were mad. I just wasn't prepared for a silent card. The 480 is as quiet as my old 9800gt.

So for me, expectations surpassed. I feel damned lucky to have gotten one of these cards. Thank you, God, I knew you were listening. Now help me to get laid this weekend. Thank you.

I have been really happy with my setup as well. Took a few days to acquire both cards but it was worth it. I look inside my case and that alone makes me happy. =)

Wabe, as you know, for the brief time I used it I LOVE my 480. I can't wait to get my machine back and dive in. I told you about the sickness that was running Just Cause 2's benchmarks, 1920x1200, everything at max value including that CSAA...all of it, and just watching that thing tear it apart while seeing a noise and heat situation that was barely different from my GTX 280.

Damn i don't see how you guys are saying your old cards are as loud as the 480. My 480 is like 10x louder than my 285 ever was. It takes a few minutes but it gets hot and loud very quick. I run a large tj09 case with the side window off and this case has a dedicated gpu fan so I really can't imagine the fan noise if I put the side back on. I have always run with it off though on all my builds and I have had this case going on almost 4 years now. I just take the air can and wet rag to it about once a year as I change motherboards and cpus.

Damn i don't see how you guys are saying your old cards are as loud as the 480. My 480 is like 10x louder than my 285 ever was. It takes a few minutes but it gets hot and loud very quick. I run a large tj09 case with the side window off and this case has a dedicated gpu fan so I really can't imagine the fan noise if I put the side back on. I have always run with it off though on all my builds and I have had this case going on almost 4 years now. I just take the air can and wet rag to it about once a year as I change motherboards and cpus.

Well, if you put the side panel back, it'll definitely dampen the sound somewhat :) the card will get hot and loud no matter what so might just as well put the side panel on :D

How close are you to your rig? I'm seven feet from mine. Actually the side panel might actually help as having air flow over the heat pipes keeps them cooler. Also if you have the room you might want to try a VGA cooler, I have one on my bottom 480 for now. Maybe the 285 is quieter, I had three 280s and those things were not quiet.

We all have different room temperatures that may play a role in how fast the fan ramps up. At what fan % do you perceive as loud? We may all have different conditions on what loud is and what is not. I can hear the fan once it gets above 70% but it isn't loud to me. It hasn't gone above 76% fan while playing games and game benchmarking yet in my setup (haven't tried Furmark). My room is relatively cool too (17-18 degrees C lately).

Pretty sure it's loud for him because the computer is sitting next to him and the side panel is off.

Ditto on the distance and side panel comments.

I have excellent hearing and I swear that this 480 really isn't terribly different in heat or noise from the 280 I was using.

Mine is as loud as my 4890 but heck with headphones on I don't hear it and my computer is arms length away. Though thats mainly because my music is always playing >.>.

Edit: I have my fan set to 80%.

My point is that the 285 was setup just like my 480 is and the 480 is 10x louder under load. No hyperbole. It really is that much louder under load. At idle they are the same. It's not like the 285 was in my rig with the side on and 10 feet away while the 480 is next to me with the side off and i am complaining that it is louder. It's in the same exact setup as the 285 was. The card IS loud. I'm not complaining, just telling my observations.

My point is that the 285 was setup just like my 480 is and the 480 is 10x louder under load. No hyperbole. It really is that much louder under load. At idle they are the same. It's not like the 285 was in my rig with the side on and 10 feet away while the 480 is next to me with the side off and i am complaining that it is louder. It's in the same exact setup as the 285 was. The card IS loud. I'm not complaining, just telling my observations.

Well, did you run your 285 with side panel off, as well?

I find it interesting that the guys who were most vocal about Fermi being awesome are also the ones making the most claims that it is not noisy while a lot of guys who were not so vocal are saying it is as noisy as most reviews agreed they were.

I'm glad they are enjoying their cards but I can sense a hint of bias. I do agree that distance from the case makes a big difference but the actual case and side panels don't make that much of a difference themselves unless you have soundproofing panelling in my experience.

In the end, unless we all have dB meters and the same sense of hearing, it is all a very subjective matter.

I find it interesting that the guys who were most vocal about Fermi being awesome are also the ones making the most claims that it is not noisy while a lot of guys who were not so vocal are saying it is as noisy as most reviews agreed they were.

I'm glad they are enjoying their cards but I can sense a hint of bias. I do agree that distance from the case makes a big difference but the actual case and side panels don't make that much of a difference themselves unless you have soundproofing panelling in my experience.

In the end, unless we all have dB meters and the same sense of hearing, it is all a very subjective matter.

+1
480 is loud but it doesn't matter to some, luckily for me, I'm gonna watercool it so it's not an issue :D

Well, did you run your 285 with side panel off, as well?

dude did you even read my posts? i already said they were both setup the same way? if you are not native english speaker then please forgive me. if you are then learn to read. the card is loud. anyone that says it isnt is bsng you or had a custom turbo cool version of their previous card with super duper turbo fan setup and they are used to the noise. OEM to OEM the 480 is at least 10x louder under load than my 285. I really could care less to be honest with you but I am stating my observations.

dude did you even read my posts? i already said they were both setup the same way? if you are not native english speaker then please forgive me. if you are then learn to read. the card is loud. anyone that says it isnt is bsng you or had a custom turbo cool version of their previous card with super duper turbo fan setup and they are used to the noise. OEM to OEM the 480 is at least 10x louder under load than my 285. I really could care less to be honest with you but I am stating my observations.

no need to get so worked up for no reason, you weren't 100% clear about whether or not you had the side panel on with gtx 285.

Of course its bias opinions. The not so vocal ATI fans., The vocal Nvidia fans. Not hard to figure out.

No bias here. I sold my 5870 CF setup to buy a 480 SLI setup. The only time my SLI is louder than the CF is when I furmark. When gaming they aren't any louder than CF. With that said I have a noisy 120mm fan on my H50 that may be masking some of it.

I wouldn't argue with you about this - I believe you - but I wonder why yours is so loud and mine is so damned quiet?

I swear to god, I can't hear anything when the card is running. The fans have never ramped up on me once. After the constant noises of that f'ing GTX 275 of mine this is sheer bliss.

I game at 1920x1080, and I'm maxing out the settings on everything. The titles I've been tinkering with are all pretty demanding too: Crysis, Stalker Clear Sky, Pripyat, Just Cause 2, etc. etc. I mean, I should at least be hearing the damned fan at some point - I'm not.

Is your card starved for air maybe? Where in the world do you live? I'm in a part of the world where the climate is probably perfect for the operation of a computer - there's no humidity or heat or anything like that. I remember when I was in Tahiti - and the first thing I thought was, cripes, a computer would last about six months in this climate... it was incredibly hot, but the atmosphere was wet... you'd get out of the shower and use a towel to try and dry off but you couldn't... then you'd come back to your hotel room in the afternoon and your towel would still be wet.

I wouldn't argue with you about this - I believe you - but I wonder why yours is so loud and mine is so damned quiet?

I swear to god, I can't hear anything when the card is running. The fans have never ramped up on me once. After the constant noises of that f'ing GTX 275 of mine this is sheer bliss.

I game at 1920x1080, and I'm maxing out the settings on everything. The titles I've been tinkering with are all pretty demanding too: Crysis, Stalker Clear Sky, Pripyat, Just Cause 2, etc. etc. I mean, I should at least be hearing the damned fan at some point - I'm not.

Is your card starved for air maybe? Where in the world do you live? I'm in a part of the world where the climate is probably perfect for the operation of a computer - there's no humidity or heat or anything like that. I remember when I was in Tahiti - and the first thing I thought was, cripes, a computer would last about six months in this climate... it was incredibly hot, but the atmosphere was wet... you'd get out of the shower and use a towel to try and dry off but you couldn't... then you'd come back to your hotel room in the afternoon and your towel would still be wet.

Exactly what I was suggesting with my post above. People who are saying their cards are quiet are probably living in a cooler/less humid environment.

I ran FurMark and indeed the card does get loud. Luckily it hardly ever gets that intense in gaming situations. I also found that having a fan quiet fan blowing on the heatpipes helps with the 480GTX fan ramp down faster.

no need to get so worked up for no reason, you weren't 100% clear about whether or not you had the side panel on with gtx 285.

yes i was for those who bothered to read the post. i could go back and repaste my post but you already know you are wrong so move on.

I run everything on highest settings now with 480 :) so who knows why the fan kicks on like it does. The performance is incredible though. I never could solve the constant hitching i got in cod4 (it was the only game that did that and i never could figure out why) but the 480 runs it like glass. I still am getting the random nvidia driver crash about every 3 or 4 days though so there is definitely something going on hardware wise in this box. it causes the card to run in 2d speeds until a reboot so it really is a pita. this is a fresh install on win7 and all hardware checks out via intel burn test for 10 hours at max burn and memtest for 10 hours straight. there's just something in my box that doesn't like nvidia drivers because the 285 did it too. Never got any driver crashes with my 4850's but driver feature issues and crossfire hitching in certain games was the pita with that setup.

Back