GTX 485 On The Way?

ChakkaSol

Limp Gawd
If this is true, then I might bite - in the link you can see pics of the exhaust of the 480 vs 485.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/faith/gtx485-less-hot-and-noisy-in-the-sack/

From KitGuru:
So what is the GeForce GTX 485?
Simply put, it’s what Fermi should have been at launch.
A little quicker. A little cooler. A little easier to make.
With the earlier price move announced exclusively by KitGuru, we’re now expecting the GTX485 to come in around $20 higher into distribution than the launch price of the GTX480. It will also overclock easier, because more of the pesky electrons will be going where they are supposed to go. Nice.

KitGuru says: Interesting move by nVidia. VERY unusual for the company with the single fastest chip to beat their own product within a few weeks of launching. We guess that Northern Islands (the revamped Radeon 5000 chip) must be very close to launching and nVidia wants to push every soldier it has into battle now. Good news for nVidia fanbois who have been holding off on GTX480 because they were not sure about all that heat and noise.

So when is the 512 core variant coming?

Or is that going to be th GTX 485 Ultra?

20mhz? I'd be surprised if they tried to release something called the 485 with only a 20mhz bump instead of just changing the silicon used in the 480. You can't have a 480OC be faster than a 485 stock.

I haven't heard of any new tapeouts. So if nvidia doesn't have a new tapeout now you probably wont see anything till next year. The only solid thing I heard is the G104 bu thats only 256 shaders so it'll be a much slower part.

Hopefully it's true. The GF100 is just too hot. Even the 465 hits 90+C at full load and it has way more shaders cut. Need a better chip.

so they think that they can get all 512 cores with lower power that hits higher clocks without doing a die shrink or a major revision?

sounds like someone is smoking crack

so they think that they can get all 512 cores with lower power that hits higher clocks without doing a die shrink or a major revision?

They would have to do what ATI did and they would come out with a lower power GPU. I forget the details, but ATI had to spend 6 more months on their GPU to get it to work better with the 40nm process. Nvidia didn't know how to do this. With better engineering the 480 could of been a lot cooler. Someone can probably explain it better than I can. Yeah the 485 would have to be a major revision. But I heard of nothing new taping out from Nvidia and its what 6 months from tape out till you can buy the card?

Meanwhile southern Islands taped out and they'll have new product by the fall.

ATI ironed out all the problems on 40nm by launching a cheaper, easier to make part on it first. The 4770, I believe? They figured out the kinks in the TSMC process and adapted. NVIDIA did not.

lmao i want a 495 if it will ever come out. But that will be the netburst of vid cards lmao. You could probly cook a hotpocket on the exhaust of that thing

Anyone notice how the bracket is identical to EVGA's latest GTX470 backplate/hiflow card?

HERE

I personally think Kitguru is all a sham sensationalizing (or rather, 'falsifying') things in order to gain readership. The articles/stories are short/boring to read with little to no facts/sources for said claims.

its kitGuru.. very unreliable.....

highly doubt nVidia will push out 485 like that...

ATI ironed out all the problems on 40nm by launching a cheaper, easier to make part on it first. The 4770, I believe? They figured out the kinks in the TSMC process and adapted. NVIDIA did not.

The 480 was not thier first 40nm part.

The 480 was not thier first 40nm part.

Yes, but it was their first 40nm part of any decent size. The GT220 is tiny in comparison (486M transistors), not a very good test to work out the kinks in a 3 billion transistor part. ATI used the 4770 to work out its kinks, and as a result ATI was prepared. ATI also launched their first 40nm card months before Nvidia's first. That gave ATI plenty of time to actually incorporate the fixes into the 5xxx series. The 4770 came out in April 2009, the GT220 was launched to OEMs only in July 2009, and didn't hit retail until

Hey Kyle, is there any chance that you can confirm with Nvidia whether this 485 rumor is FUD or solid info? Thanks. If a 485 releases in a couple of weeks, I'd definitely use the Step Up program.

Hey Kyle, is there any chance that you can confirm with Nvidia whether this 485 rumor is FUD or solid info? Thanks. If a 485 releases in a couple of weeks, I'd definitely use the Step Up program.

I was about a buy an evga 480... While I could use the step-up prg, I might want to just wait to initially just buy a 485...

I'll read "the onion" for reliable news thank you very much...

actually if everything had gone according to plan yeah they could have shipped the original specs. (I think that may be generous but I don't think it was beyond reason) I doubt this rumor is true as well but they could have done a lot better if they had approached this differently. no one single thing made Fermi fail but a whole slew of them. process problems on 40nm, not doing a trial run (a la 4770), trying to do way to much at once, so on and so on. ATI should better management and it is showing. but they are only shining because Nvidia has had a really bad run.

really I wish they would do a refresh, see what it could actually do. esp if they cut out that GPGPU crap that isn't doing anything for their core business.

really I wish they would do a refresh, see what it could actually do. esp if they cut out that GPGPU crap that isn't doing anything for their core business.

Not going to happen. GPGPU is Nvidia's future, and they know it. Once AMD's Fusion and Intel's CPU/GPU chips become mainstream, Nvidia is going to lose a large amount of customers. They make the bulk of their money from low-end and integrated GPUs like the 9400. High-end cards and Quadros don't sell enough for them to keep their market share. The next 2-3 years are going to be interesting in seeing how the cope with the change.

Yes, but it was their first 40nm part of any decent size. The GT220 is tiny in comparison (486M transistors), not a very good test to work out the kinks in a 3 billion transistor part. ATI used the 4770 to work out its kinks, and as a result ATI was prepared. ATI also launched their first 40nm card months before Nvidia's first. That gave ATI plenty of time to actually incorporate the fixes into the 5xxx series. The 4770 came out in April 2009, the GT220 was launched to OEMs only in July 2009, and didn't hit retail until

Sorry, but I just don't agree with faulting Nvidia on this one. They ran a test part and found out the transistor tollerances given to them by TSMC were complete and utter shit. So bad they had to scrap several derivitive products. And it's test part at ~500M transistors isn't that much different in size vs the 4770 at only 800M. Not even a factor of two apart.

either way, I'm interested in some cheap mid-range cards from Nvidia to compete with the 5700 series. I just hope that if they ever release anything midrange, it doesn't run so damn hot!

Sorry, but I just don't agree with faulting Nvidia on this one. They ran a test part and found out the transistor tollerances given to them by TSMC were complete and utter shit. So bad they had to scrap several derivitive products. And it's test part at ~500M transistors isn't that much different in size vs the 4770 at only 800M. Not even a factor of two apart.

TSMC was... optimistic in their promises, yes, but Nvidia is the one that either failed to see it coming early enough or just failed to compensate for it. ATI figured out TSMC wasn't going to hit what it was promising, and they altered the design to handle it. You can't place all the blame on TSMC, either. Nvidia screwed up as well. Which is why we've had a complete lineup of 5xxx series cards months before Nvidia got out two cards.

I am not saying that there will not be a 485 one day, but that page does not document that correctly in any way that I am aware of or my contacts in the industry.

Back