GTX 570 PPD discrepancy

Any updates to this situation? I still haven't asked for am RMA yet. I want to see if this is something I can fix myself w/o having to go through the RMA process which would put me on "gaming withdrawal" for at least two weeks >_<

I've something of interest,

under AIDA64
The voltage of the slow card is higher than the voltage of the fast card
The Current of the slow card is lower than the current of the fast card

I wonder if we are hitting some power regulation cap like the GTX580 has, I know that the same chips that can cap a 580 are installed on 570s.

I'm trying the GPUz /GTX580ocp command line switch but not seeing any change.

I just received a new replacement card from EVGA. It has an earlier serial number and BIOS (70.10.17.00.70) than my previous card and is getting the same PPD : \

I don't know what to do next, the first response I got from EVGA was they do not officially support troubleshooting of F@H, nor can they guarantee any PPD production. They approved the RMA anyway and allowed me to purchase the EAR, which I then paid $45 for overnight delivery so I would receive the card before the weekend. The RMA and 3-day EAR override were approved 1/12, which I purchased the same day, approved next day and collateral information requested, which I submitted the same day, finally approval process completed next day 1/14 Friday, but I didn't pay the extra $5 for Saturday delivery because I expected it to be sent out sooner. Not blaming EVGA here since this information is probably listed somewhere on their website but I figured this part of the story may be relevant or at least informative.

I guess the only thing I can do is hope EVGA will approve another RMA, but considering the card is fine playing games and they don't officially support F@H it may be declined. No to mention it's now passed 30 days since I bought the card so the new replacement card would probably be used/refurbished. I wish we could figure out specifically what the problem is; I know there are a few theories in this thread but nothing that can be verified.

I just received a new replacement card from EVGA. It has an earlier serial number and BIOS (70.10.17.00.70) than my previous card and is getting the same PPD : \

I don't know what to do next, the first response I got from EVGA was they do not officially support troubleshooting of F@H, nor can they guarantee any PPD production. They approved the RMA anyway and allowed me to purchase the EAR, which I then paid $45 for overnight delivery so I would receive the card before the weekend. The RMA and 3-day EAR override were approved 1/12, which I purchased the same day, approved next day and collateral information requested, which I submitted the same day, finally approval process completed next day 1/14 Friday, but I didn't pay the extra $5 for Saturday delivery because I expected it to be sent out sooner. Not blaming EVGA here since this information is probably listed somewhere on their website but I figured this part of the story may be relevant or at least informative.

I guess the only thing I can do is hope EVGA will approve another RMA, but considering the card is fine playing games and they don't officially support F@H it may be declined. No to mention it's now passed 30 days since I bought the card so the new replacement card would probably be used/refurbished. I wish we could figure out specifically what the problem is; I know there are a few theories in this thread but nothing that can be verified.

Man, now I am not sure if I want to RMA my card. I can barely live through 2 weeks w/o games and if I get the card back and it still has the same problem.... :mad:

So has anyone done a bios flash using a Bios that is producing high ppd?

why would they, my identical cards on identical BIOSs fold 2500 PPD different.

why would they, my identical cards on identical BIOSs fold 2500 PPD different.

for some reason when i put my 470 in the 2nd gpu slot to fold it would get about 2-3k lower ppd. i never could figure out why. i eventually pulled it from the system waiting to go in my 2600k build.

I feel for you guys and know exactly what you're going through. Even though my situation and hardware is completely different, I've had problems with GPU clients since December; a whole slew of problems that are difficult to troubleshoot, nearly impossible to resolve and frustrating as hell. So much so that I almost threw in the towel several times from this situation alone. I'm still getting weird crap happening and can't figure out why. It's hard to point the finger at the card, board, drivers or even the client software itself.

I think we'll just have to accept the lower production for the time being. With my particular issue, I've had to be content with at least a 2000 PPD loss from what I was getting earlier as well.

I've seen other's reporting same issue on other forums.

I may have lucked out...GTX 570 SC | 16.5K PPD | Project 6805 | TPF 1 min |

16.5k ppd at what clocks though? if stock, then you lucked out

i've noticed all the recent/newer 570's are getting the "low" ppd

i'm putting my 19k ppd 570 under water and going for 20k

like ive said before, i REALLY wish someone knew the answer to this issue :( or at least an explanation of what's going on

makes me wonder if since they changed the benchmark card to a 460gtx now that all the units have scaled or something. who knows.

makes me wonder if since they changed the benchmark card to a 460gtx now that all the units have scaled or something. who knows.

I don't think thats the case, guys with two cards are seeing different output with same WU's.

I'm wondering if there is any correlation to the card driving a monitor and delivering lower PPD, if so it can be nailed down to the driver. Can the guys running sli confirm if your slave card is the productive one?

for me, the slave is the productive one, but someone (can't remember who) put only one card in at a time, and one was more productive than the other.

i ran them one card at a time and PPD discrepancy was still there

same slot, same drivers, same clocks, same project, different ppd

So the plot thickens...

Running either the shipping bios (0405) or the HWBot leaked beta with PLL overvolt options (0414) on my P8P67-M Pro will give me identical folding output from my 470's. However, if I run the beta bios that I got from an Asus tech support engineer (0413) I am seeing a 2kppd discrepancy between my 470's in sli. This would seem to point to the motherboard BIOS being the issue and also explains why some were seeing higher output from putting the cards in different slots.

Does anyone else having the problem want to give some different motherboard BIOS versions a shot and see what they come up with?

So the plot thickens...

Running either the shipping bios (0405) or the HWBot leaked beta with PLL overvolt options (0414) on my P8P67-M Pro will give me identical folding output from my 470's. However, if I run the beta bios that I got from an Asus tech support engineer (0413) I am seeing a 2kppd discrepancy between my 470's in sli. This would seem to point to the motherboard BIOS being the issue and also explains why some were seeing higher output from putting the cards in different slots.

Does anyone else having the problem want to give some different motherboard BIOS versions a shot and see what they come up with?

It has already been established that it is a card specific issue if you read the thread n regards to the 570 and with no solutions as of yet :(

It has already been established that it is a card specific issue if you read the thread n regards to the 570 and with no solutions as of yet :(

How can it be a card specific issue if some have resolved it by swapping slots?

The latest 10XXX series of WUs have solved my problem, both GTX570s are folding @ 17KPPD

The latest 10XXX series of WUs have solved my problem, both GTX570s are folding @ 17KPPD

Nope, the problem still exists. It's just these WUs are of the old varieties that worked well with the weaker cards. Even a GTX 460 can get 16k+ PPD off these.

I think (just a guess) that these older WUs were only released for a few hours due to some technical reason. I'm seeing P6806 WUs being received today, are these new?

6806 has been around.

Apollo what fermi card did you get?

Apollo what fermi card did you get?
Regular edition (not TOP) Asus GTS 450 and it OCs to ~890MHz with only a slight voltage increase (1.087V). I'm pretty sure this card is capable of 1GHz stable with a bit more voltage but not certain what's recommended for 24/7 full load yet. It is running at 40[FONT=&quot]°[/FONT]C and performs over 10K PPD on the P6805s. I was seeing 15K PPD with the P10xxx WUs but hated the atrocious CPU usage; wasn't worth the additional PPD the GPU client gets if you're running SMP alongside it. I prefer the P6800s which have a good balance overall.

Regular edition (not TOP) Asus GTS 450 and it OCs to ~890MHz with only a slight voltage increase (1.087V). I'm pretty sure this card is capable of 1GHz stable with a bit more voltage but not certain what's recommended for 24/7 full load yet. It is running at 40[FONT=&quot]°[/FONT]C and performs over 10K PPD on the P6805s. I was seeing 15K PPD with the P10xxx WUs but hated the atrocious CPU usage; wasn't worth the additional PPD the GPU client gets if you're running SMP alongside it. I prefer the P6800s which have a good balance overall.

FWIW the GTX 560 goes up to 1.15v on factory approved OC and the Radeon 6970 runs at 1.17v stock, all on the same 40nm process. I think its pretty well established 1.2v and under is completely safe provided you can keep it cool, the real question is where the power draw vs ppd gain tradeoff manifests itself.

Back