GTX 580 Owners Thread

was going to order a 6970 for $400 total with shipping but found and ordered a 580 for about the same price. I'll soon be rocking a Nvidia made reference 580 gtx. No warrenty, livin on the edge :D

Haha nice, hopefully you'll never need that warranty :D. My 580 has settled in comfortably to this day at 860core/4400mem, runs cool & quiet with 1.063v (barely a bump). Love this thing :D.

Heh, WOW. I just installed and been playing some Bad Company 2, some other games too. Man, does it make a difference coming from a GTX 285. Got to finally check out some DX11 features. They are nice, especially soft shadows.

The first thing that I did noticed and left me a little perplexed is the fact that the GTX 580 or even perhaps latter 400 cards do not use MSI-X. Shocked to find an old interrupt being used. The very last thing I did noticed, it is very crisp in display compared to the 285.

Haha nice, hopefully you'll never need that warranty :D. My 580 has settled in comfortably to this day at 860core/4400mem, runs cool & quiet with 1.063v (barely a bump). Love this thing :D.

What is the load temp on your OC'ed card?
Did you set your fan to auto?

Heh, WOW. I just installed and been playing some Bad Company 2, some other games too. Man, does it make a difference coming from a GTX 285. Got to finally check out some DX11 features. They are nice, especially soft shadows.

No kidding, I'm comming from an 8800 GTX, so I know what you mean about making a difference. One of the best upgrades I've ever made. (Though I'm still rocking an Opteron 165 @ 2.97 GHz and 2GB of RAM on an nForce 4 motherboard...)

Whoa, that thing is really cool man... :cool:

one more question: on 100% how loud the fan noise? or let say 80%?

I haven't tried 100%, but 80% is pretty loud, honestly. It overwhelms all of my other case fans and sounds like a mini-blower at that point. The normal fan level with my overclock on auto is only barely audible over my normal case fans when I am purposefully listening for it with no computer audio going (i.e. silent room but for the PC).

hi guys im trying to figure out how to modify the voltage in my gtx 580. im using afterburner and unlocked voltage control however, it doesnt allow me to modify my voltage.
is there any particular to do this whit 580?

btw. im asiking about the voltage because i have the following problem. i guess its normal but id rather check with you guys.
i have found that i cant push my 580 further than 820 core and 2040 memory and from what ive seen in other reviews that is a pretty crappy overclock.
also, with my overclocking my objective is to achieve higher AA settings. im guessing AA performance is more affected by mem speed than core/shader speed right?.

ok back to the initial question with the before mentioned clocks. when i set the clock any higher my gpu seems to reset back to its original settings. it never actually artifacts or anything. it just stops the app im running and automatically resets clock speeds back to default. is this normal?
my old 8800gts never did this.

Last edited:
Have anny one found a way to get the idle fan to go sub 40%? I know Evga got a modded bios out that allows 30% but ive got a gigbyte card.

Wow.

I wish mine could hit that.

I can barely overclock the ram at all on mine (even a few mhz and it starts having trouble in heavy tests)

Is yours stable in furmark, with the power limiter disabled? How about in Ungine Heaven?

Strangely enough I have found that with Geforce 4xx and 5xx boards, Ungine Heaven is a tougher stability test than furmark. I didn't think there was anything that was tougher than furmark...

I had my 580 at settings that were stable for hours in furmark crash within 3 minutes in Heaven.

Zarathustra[H];1036655034 said:
Wow.

I wish mine could hit that.

I can barely overclock the ram at all on mine (even a few mhz and it starts having trouble in heavy tests)

Is yours stable in furmark, with the power limiter disabled? How about in Ungine Heaven?

Strangely enough I have found that with Geforce 4xx and 5xx boards, Ungine Heaven is a tougher stability test than furmark. I didn't think there was anything that was tougher than furmark...

I had my 580 at settings that were stable for hours in furmark crash within 3 minutes in Heaven.

My Zotac will do 4400 ram BUT I noticed if I run something like ATI Artifact finder after about 10 minutes it starts to artifact even with 80% fan (GPU maybe around 70C). In most games you cant see artifacts and something like Metro its only very slightly noticeable if your paying attention. I do wonder how many people clocking there ram close to 4400 might be risking it running close to the limit.

My GPU will do 950 stable (do 900 24/7), so I leave the ram alone as its only a minor bump anyway simply not worth it imo.

I got an EVGA 580 SC on Friday and I've been tweaking it and gaming all weekend. Great card so far, but what I'm really amazed with is how it overclocks. The "stock" speed on the SC is 797mhz core, 2025mhz mem. I've been slowly increasing those over the weekend and I still haven't hit a ceiling. I'm currently at 890mhz core and 2140mhz mem. I've also noticed that the temperatures do not seem to get any higher as I clock higher, but the performance is definitely increasing. It was hitting 87C at load until I created a custom fan profile to ramp up the fan to 75% at over 70C which now keeps it at around 75C load.

Is there any harm in going until I start to see artifacts, especially since I'm not touching voltages and the temps aren't getting any higher? I have killed a card a long time ago from overclocking but it was so long ago that I don't remember the circumstances.

I got an EVGA 580 SC on Friday and I've been tweaking it and gaming all weekend. Great card so far, but what I'm really amazed with is how it overclocks. The "stock" speed on the SC is 797mhz core, 2025mhz mem. I've been slowly increasing those over the weekend and I still haven't hit a ceiling. I'm currently at 890mhz core and 2140mhz mem. I've also noticed that the temperatures do not seem to get any higher as I clock higher, but the performance is definitely increasing. It was hitting 87C at load until I created a custom fan profile to ramp up the fan to 75% at over 70C which now keeps it at around 75C load.

Is there any harm in going until I start to see artifacts, especially since I'm not touching voltages and the temps aren't getting any higher? I have killed a card a long time ago from overclocking but it was so long ago that I don't remember the circumstances.

I'm getting around 83-88c with my OC, how'd you create the fan profile to do that?

I'm getting around 83-88c with my OC, how'd you create the fan profile to do that?

Using the EVGA precision app. In the options there is a tab for software controlled fan speed where you can adjust what the speed will be based on the temperature. It's a pretty nifty graph-based configuration.

Using the EVGA precision app. In the options there is a tab for software controlled fan speed where you can adjust what the speed will be based on the temperature. It's a pretty nifty graph-based configuration.

Thanks, I did it last night and it worked perfect.

Just stepped up to an EVGA 580, the OC headroom on these things is retarded.

gaming stable at 950/1900/2200 with 1.1 volts. max temp of 82* with fan on auto.

hi guys. my friend ditched me for lunch yesterday so i made that as an excuse to go down to the local microcenter and pickup the evga 580gtx (vanilla) for 499.

I LOVE IT!!!

im so glad i sold that POS 5970. this card runs like butter.

a few questions... at what point is an overclock considered stable? how long should I let OC scanner run for? I think it ran for at least 20 minutes before I shut it down (wanted to game).

also, my i7 920 is only at 3.6 right now. should I give it some more?

LOVIN IT!

To the OP, any real reason to go Tri-SLI? I am about to rebuild my system and I have not found any soilid reviews or info that Tri is a big gain. My new system currently;

ASUS R3E-H20 cooled
i7 980x-H20 cooled
12 GB Corsiar D-GT 2000
2xeVGA 580 GTX-H20 cooled
Corsair ATX 1200

TIA

To the OP, any real reason to go Tri-SLI? I am about to rebuild my system and I have not found any soilid reviews or info that Tri is a big gain. My new system currently;

ASUS R3E-H20 cooled
i7 980x-H20 cooled
12 GB Corsiar D-GT 2000
2xeVGA 580 GTX-H20 cooled
Corsair ATX 1200

TIA

The main reason for me is 3D Vision Surround were 3x SLI seems to scale at pretty much 100% and 3D needs EVERY bit of power it can get. 7680x1600 resolution would be another.

The main reason for me is 3D Vision Surround were 3x SLI seems to scale at pretty much 100% and 3D needs EVERY bit of power it can get. 7680x1600 resolution would be another.

I just use a 30" @ 25x19, so I believe you answered my question.

So I am going to buy this week - which to buy though...Would this 3-Fan Galaxy be better than say the basic EVGA? The EVGA does come with a copy of JC2 which I could probably get $20 bucks back for.

I am going to get two so I am really concerned if 6 fans will really be to loud. Does anyone have any experience with them or the Sparkle 3 fan?

Last edited:
EVGA GTX580 owner here. I moved from a 5970 to this. However, with gaming I see upper 80s. With folding, its lower 80s all stock. My little SG07 just cannot cool it enough.

I am moving away from my mITX setup to a mATX setup. I have an Aero Cooler Extreme ready to put on, and will maybe add a 2nd 580 in the future.

I love the card and have had 0 issues versus something that came up on the 5970 weekly or bi-weekly.

Am I pretty much out of luck if I want to sell my Evga Black Ops GTX 580 that's registered? I don't think the warranty is transferrable. I like the card a lot but I would like to change my setup.

Well, i finally made the leap, havnt been on the green side of the fence for a long time now, my upgrade progress went like this:

7900 gt - 640 8800 gts - 640 8800 gts (2) - 8800 gtx - 8800 ultra - 4870x2 - 5770 (2) - and soon to be a evga gtx 580 vanilla

anyone come from two 5770's that can offer their experience? I sat with my new parts in my basket for literally a week before i could convince myself to click the buy button and stop hovering over it. feels like a load off my shoulders though knowing that i got basically a new system on its way to my door :)

I am thinking about getting a second GTX580. What are the temps in SLI when they are next to each other? My motherboard doesn't have much room between PCI slots and I am worried.

I am thinking about getting a second GTX580. What are the temps in SLI when they are next to each other? My motherboard doesn't have much room between PCIe slots and I am worried.

Fixed.

Mine are far enough apart. However having had 3-Way SLI and SLI on other systems I can tell you that it's usually something you can deal with but you might have to increase fan speeds at idle and certainly under full load. That's not terribly scientific as I didn't have GTX 580's in SLI close together, or 3-Way SLI. Still thermals for these cards aren't really all that different than previous cards.

Still thermals for these cards aren't really all that different than previous cards.

Totally agreed.

I think that too many people become obsessed with temperatures. These cards were designed to run side-by-side. As long as your case has decent cooling it should be a problem.

Fixed.

Mine are far enough apart. However having had 3-Way SLI and SLI on other systems I can tell you that it's usually something you can deal with but you might have to increase fan speeds at idle and certainly under full load. That's not terribly scientific as I didn't have GTX 580's in SLI close together, or 3-Way SLI. Still thermals for these cards aren't really all that different than previous cards.

Thank you Dan. I will snatch a second GTX580 once Crysis 2 shows up.

Back