GTX-660TI Issue

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
Good afternoon,

I have an MSI Twin Frozr GTX-660TI that, all of a sudden, decided that it wanted to stop working on me. I turned on my computer after a month of it just sitting there and the GPU fans were spinning a TON (it was very loud) and there was no display. It's more-or-less behaving like it's not getting any power from the PCI-E connectors from my PSU.

Anyways. I have verified that the PSU hasn't crapped out on me (I subbed a GTX-560 in and it works just fine). Since the card is now out of warranty, what typically fails that causes this issue? I have some soldering experience, so if it's just a cap that's bad or something like that (pray to God it's not an SMD) then I think I have a shot at fixing it.

I've already given it the once-over with my eyes (and haven't pulled off the cooling yet) but I see no bulging capacitors yet, and I see no burnt traces either. Last time it worked it was working just fine. Fans were running at normal speed, temps were good, no artifacting - nothing! o_O

Also - I guess this could also be a lesson to anyone who comes on here asking "which video card manufacturer should I get?" Just like any piece of electronics, ultimately they all could possibly give up the ghost. :)

Before anyone asks - I was planning on upgrading the card regardless, so this is just a possibly fun experiment for me. I'm just a little disappointed because I was planning on giving this to one of my PC gamer friends.

Back