GTX 670 SOC or GTX 680 Stock Clock???

brandon888

Weaksauce
i plan to upgrade my rig for Battlefield 3!

im NOT overclocker ! so i want to know .... how will perform GTX 670 SOC in battlefield 3 multiplayer .... waht a dips will i get ? like 30 ? 35? 40 fps ??? yes i read many reviews but i want to know more and if anyone has personal experience please tell me how good is GTX 670 SOC... and one more thing ... does it worth to pay extra 80-100$ for gtx 680 ? or GTX 670 SOC will perform same as GTX 680 at stock clocks ?

Even if you aren't an overclocker, I can't think of a single valid reason to buy a 680 over a 670 for the price difference. The difference in performance is so small that its just silly to blow an extra $100 for something you'll never likely see except in a benchmark.

So, for 1920x1080 and games like TOR, D3, ME3 and stuff like that (I don't play Battlefield 3), the 670 GTX will be sufficient? Because I want to upgrade my 570 too... and have same dillema as OP.

The 670 is a beast at 1920 resolution. Whether you overclock or not, its really quick. I have yet to play any game at highest detail settings on my 670 that didn't keep the framerate capped at 60fps with V-sync enabled.

Blkout

sure but as i know ecen gtx 680 can't keep frams at 60 ..... i mean on Battlefield 3 64 multipalyer karkand map ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9EeSOE-Tg

here !!! 670 is OC here ... but anyway ... it gives only extra 3-5 fps i think :)

worst fpsi saw here was like 45 :) so stock 670 will have 40 fps dips i hope ... witch is good for me ^^ 40-60 is palyable framerates when you have 40 fps only 2-5% of whole game ...

MorgothPl

i thnik for your games there is no point to upgrade .... gtx 670 will affect games like crysis 2 , BF3 , Max Payne 3 and such ... i mean the most demangind games .... u can run skyrim on ultra with no problem to ^^

Forgot to add, that I want to play games on 120hz display, so I believe I should be getting around 120fps for best effects. Will 670 be enough for that, or will.those 5% difference between it and 680 matter? Though...judging from.prices in my country, that 5% is not worth $200 - 670 is around $500 and 680 is $700

Blkout

sure but as i know ecen gtx 680 can't keep frams at 60 ..... i mean on Battlefield 3 64 multipalyer karkand map ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9EeSOE-Tg

here !!! 670 is OC here ... but anyway ... it gives only extra 3-5 fps i think :)

worst fpsi saw here was like 45 :) so stock 670 will have 40 fps dips i hope ... witch is good for me ^^ 40-60 is palyable framerates when you have 40 fps only 2-5% of whole game ...

No idea man, I don't play BF3 online but I've played through the single player campaign without it ever dropping below 60fps.

Forgot to add, that I want to play games on 120hz display, so I believe I should be getting around 120fps for best effects. Will 670 be enough for that, or will.those 5% difference between it and 680 matter? Though...judging from.prices in my country, that 5% is not worth $200 - 670 is around $500 and 680 is $700

If you want 120fps at 1920 resolution with high details, you're going to need two 670's in SLI for some of the more demanding games like Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. No single card other than a 690 is going to give you that kind of performance in the really graphically demanding games but two 670's are far cheaper than a 690 and accomplishes the same effect. I do hope you understand that just because your monitor has 120hz capability, you don't have to have 120fps to get a good gameplay experience unless you're using 3D. Anything over 60fps is pretty damn smooth, its only when a game drops below 30fps that it becomes noticeably choppy.

Blkout

wait wait ... do you have GTX 670 :O ? and never dropped below 60 fps on single palyer ? do you OC card ? and was it full ultra with 4x msaa ? maybe you turned off msaa ?

yes and true bro,,, i only notice lag below 30 :) so i don't really need constant 60 fps .... maybe just 60 fps average with 40 fps dips ... it's ideal for me :)

Blkout

wait wait ... do you have GTX 670 :O ? and never dropped below 60 fps on single palyer ? do you OC card ? and was it full ultra with 4x msaa ? maybe you turned off msaa ?

Yea, I have a Gigabyte Windforce 670 OC, and mine is overclocked even further and yes it never drops below 60fps in the campaign with 4X MSAA turned on at the highest settings. I don't use the post process AA though because that's FXAA and it blurs the image slightly, 4X MSAA looks better and I don't see any need to use them both. This is also using a 2500K CPU at 3.8GHz which is a pretty mild overclock.

i have i7 950 at stock lcocks ... but you know it self overclocks to 3.3 .... so i don't need to OC it ^^

well thats strane because look at that video .... that guy has fps dips :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/battlefield-3-1080p-dx11-ultra-settings-gtx-670-vs-gtx-680-video

cards are on stock clocks ... but look ... there is no difference between gtx 670 at stock clocks and gtx 680 at stock clocks ;/ .... maybe 5% only i think ......... so getting 680 is brainless :( ....

one more thing ... can you try to paly SP at stock clocks :) i mean with default stock overlocked MHZ-s without manual
OC ing :p i plan to get gigabyte or asus OC editions and what to know how they perfrom at dealt OC clocks ^^

i have i7 950 at stock lcocks ... but you know it self overclocks to 3.3 .... so i don't need to OC it ^^

well thats strane because look at that video .... that guy has fps dips :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/battlefield-3-1080p-dx11-ultra-settings-gtx-670-vs-gtx-680-video

cards are on stock clocks ... but look ... there is no difference between gtx 670 at stock clocks and gtx 680 at stock clocks ;/ .... maybe 5% only i think ......... so getting 680 is brainless :( ....

one more thing ... can you try to paly SP at stock clocks :) i mean with default stock overlocked MHZ-s without manual
OC ing :p i plan to get gigabyte or asus OC editions and what to know how they perfrom at dealt OC clocks ^^

I believe the Gigabyte Windforce 670 has the highest stock clocks of any 670 at the moment so that's probably your best choice especially for the price since Asus charges a good bit more for their non-reference OC models.

With your i7 950, what you're talking about is boost clocks but that won't happen when all 4 cores are being used, only when a single core is being used in which case Battlefield 3 is likely using all 4 cores of your CPU which means it will stay at 3.06Ghz. That's not slow by any means but you will give up some framerate compared to my i5 Sandybridge at 3.8GHz.

and i7 950 has 8 logical cores and as i know BF3 for full potencial uses 6 logical cores ^^

i hope i7 950 at stock clocks will not affect minimum framerates ... beacause i don't care will is see max 100-120 fps on my screen or not ^^

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wait for the Gigabyte Windforce 670. The custom cooler and non-reference design is worth waiting for. Its quieter and cooler than the reference 670 and here's the best part, Gigabyte isn't charging you more for it. Its $399 just like the standard 670. Just keep an eye out for the Windforce 670, they come in and go out of stock here and there. Set NewEgg to auto-notify you when they get some.

i don't have paypal and my country don't have it ... so i can buy only from amazon ............

Blkout

can you upload some gamepaly of BF3 when you have a time ^^ ? just few minutes and set all settings on ultra ... even post process AA and turn off motion blur witch is useless ^^

and please don't OC your card ^^

i don't have paypal and my country don't have it ... so i can buy only from amazon ............

Blkout

can you upload some gamepaly of BF3 when you have a time ^^ ? just few minutes and set all settings on ultra ... even post process AA and turn off motion blur witch is useless ^^

and please don't OC your card ^^

I don't have a capture device nor the time to do that, sorry. Amazon will get some more Windforce 670's in eventually, look like only one reseller has them at the moment and overcharging for it.

no problem :) then just tell me lowest and avg fps when you will paly bf3 again at stock clocks ^^

thanks for help ^^ now im sure thati don't need to pay extra 100$ for gtx 680 ^^

no problem :) then just tell me lowest and avg fps when you will paly bf3 again at stock clocks ^^

thanks for help ^^ now im sure thati don't need to pay extra 100$ for gtx 680 ^^

Its your money, not mine, I'm just telling you I wouldn't pay the extra $100 and I didn't.

Blkout

sure i understand :) i just like you .. don't have extra 100$ to throw it for 2% performance :))

Not really much more to say. The Gigabyte gtx 670 is the best bang for the buck on the higher end especially if you don't overclock because of the high boost out of the box (I've seen 1120mhz to 1202mhz depending on your luck).

Not really much more to say. The Gigabyte gtx 670 is the best bang for the buck on the higher end especially if you don't overclock because of the high boost out of the box (I've seen 1120mhz to 1202mhz depending on your luck).

It is a lottery, I got lower end GPU... stock 1110mhz on boost, and I was only able to o/c to 1180mhz boost (+70Mhz). Regardless it is still pretty good card..

amd7674

hm .... asus cards can even reach at 1137 with soc ^^ they have highest stock boost clock i think ^^

it is luck of draw... a lottery... I got 1110Mhz on stock boost clock ... and my final o/c is 1180/3700 (core/vram)

The average Gigabyte OC card can o/c to 1250 waters so, I got below average model. The card is still a beast... :D ;) with my 4.5ghz IB I played 30 minutes of BF3 48 men server, 1080P, 90POV, all ultra settings, blur off, forced adaptive vsync... The game would drop below 60FPS only few times... At the same time, system is super quiet (with stock fan profile)... and it is running cool... 70C on GPU, 57C on CPU...

amd7674

hm .... asus cards can even reach at 1137 with soc ^^ they have highest stock boost clock i think ^^

amd7674

wow ! Great ! i will not oc myself that card but i think i will get dips below 60 few times to ^^ i hope you have not palyed metro :))) because in metro you will have 20-30 fps more then for exmaple gulf of oman or sharqi pensisula :))) can't wait to order that card ^^ 1 week left ^^

amd7674

wow ! Great ! i will not oc myself that card but i think i will get dips below 60 few times to ^^ i hope you have not palyed metro :))) because in metro you will have 20-30 fps more then for exmaple gulf of oman or sharqi pensisula :))) can't wait to order that card ^^ 1 week left ^^

Just for you I will try metro map tonight (if time allows) ;)

Metro 2033 and Witcher 2 at highest detail with AA enabled are the two most demanding games available. Its very tough to run either of those games at the highest settings with AA enabled and get 60fps without a high end dual card setup or a single GTX 690.

amd7674

nono ! try gulf of oman or sharqi ! they are most damanding maps ^^ and with 64 palyers ^^

Blkout

Metro 2033 and Witcher 2 both are bad optimized ... so benchmark on that games are useless :)))
even BF3 is not too good optimized ^^ imho cryisis 2 runs better and has same visuals ... i know they are on different engins but they look similar to me ..they are on the same level of beauty ^^

amd7674

50 ? wow ;/ i expected 40 fps in sharqi :))) great then :*** thank you !

i got one question .. i plan to order GTX 670 from amazn .. i will go for evga , asus or gygabite .....

but card will be shipped to Georgia country ! so if card will be dead on arrival i have to spent extra 80-90$ to send card back to usa from georgia country :(

so how safe it is to by Card from amazon ? ( i can only buy from amazon ... i don't have paypal ... in my country there is no paypal ! )

amd7674

50 ? wow ;/ i expected 40 fps in sharqi :))) great then :*** thank you !

i got one question .. i plan to order GTX 670 from amazn .. i will go for evga , asus or gygabite .....

but card will be shipped to Georgia country ! so if card will be dead on arrival i have to spent extra 80-90$ to send card back to usa from georgia country :(

so how safe it is to by Card from amazon ? ( i can only buy from amazon ... i don't have paypal ... in my country there is no paypal ! )

It was pretty much in 60s all the time. (1080P, ultra, 90pov, blur off).

As you know with computer hardware this days, there is no 100% gurantee... there were reports of duds from EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI and problaby others... There is always a chance of getting a DOA card, or bad o/cer (my case)... ;)

Back