GTX 970m/980m launched, along with laptops

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
Since several people were asking about this and interested. Seems like it is a "hard" launch similar to the 8xxm series with actual laptops ready to ship (not the just the chips were launched).

MSRP prices seem to be the same as last gen at the equivalent product tier (maybe lower?).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204

MSI laptops (sample) -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8596/msi-gaming-notebooks-with-geforce-gtx-980m-and-970m

The MSI GS60 with a GTX 860m launched at $1799.99 MSRP as a comparison (example).

Does $1799.99 seem like a reasonable price for a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-044 (w/ GTX 970M)?

Will the 980M 8GB and 970M 6GB be limited going past a resolution of 1920x1080? If not, why keep the newer laptops resolution so small? I'd really like to get a new WIndows laptop with one of these new GPU's but with a much larger resolution. Like 2560x1600 or higher (but always with a 16:10 aspect ratio) at the very least.

they have a "3K" resolution MSI Ghost -- it's about $200 more for this feature. I have the same question as xJ... getting a 970M chip with the 3K display and then trying to run battlefield but then having to turn the eye candy down to get smooth frame rates. The high end screen on the Ghost series is 2880X1620. Oddball for sure. Would love to see what kind of frame rates the 970M could push at that rez with all the eye candy turned on in certain games.

(i know high end gaming on a laptop sucks but I'm away from home too much to just NOT game)

I have my eyes on an MSI Ghost series with the 970M 15.6" screen..but im still being patient. What I want has to be portable and light too so I know I gotta pay a bit of premium for the 15.6" Ghost model.

they have a "3K" resolution MSI Ghost -- it's about $200 more for this feature. I have the same question as xJ... getting a 970M chip with the 3K display and then trying to run battlefield but then having to turn the eye candy down to get smooth frame rates. The high end screen on the Ghost series is 2880X1620. Oddball for sure. Would love to see what kind of frame rates the 970M could push at that rez with all the eye candy turned on in certain games.

(i know high end gaming on a laptop sucks but I'm away from home too much to just NOT game)

I have my eyes on an MSI Ghost series with the 970M 15.6" screen..but im still being patient. What I want has to be portable and light too so I know I gotta pay a bit of premium for the 15.6" Ghost model.

Or you could go for the GIGABYTE P35Xv3-CF2.

Xotic PC has it for $2k. 15" screen, .8" thick, AND has a GTX 980M (8GB).

Or you could go for the GIGABYTE P35Xv3-CF2.

Xotic PC has it for $2k. 15" screen, .8" thick, AND has a GTX 980M (8GB).

checked it out -- and I think I'll still wait to pick up an MSI GhostPro 44.... it's 0.9lbs lighter with the same (more ram) specs. (same price too)

One thing I really was surprised at the gigabyte though -- they still have VGA out on this top of the line laptop? I understand trying to be super compatible but that's just kinda weird to me. (plus I think the MSI is just sexier - random I know)

Nothing wrong with VGA... Lots of projectors don't have DVI or HDMI ports yet. My laptop has HDMI but I choose to use VGA to connect it to my monitor (stationary setup) because for some strange reasons (probably all subjective with no proofs) I feel that VGA will be faster and transfer the colours more accurately than HDMI.

These look really good... Should I upgrade my 2yr old Lenovo Y580 yet?? -.-

checked it out -- and I think I'll still wait to pick up an MSI GhostPro 44.... it's 0.9lbs lighter with the same (more ram) specs. (same price too)

One thing I really was surprised at the gigabyte though -- they still have VGA out on this top of the line laptop? I understand trying to be super compatible but that's just kinda weird to me. (plus I think the MSI is just sexier - random I know)

The MSI GhostPro 44 will have a GTX 980M? Where can I find a preorder page for this? I would typically be one to agree with the retirement of legacy ports, but anyone with any business need for this laptop will tell you (myself included) that most conference rooms (not all) still require VGA output. The MSI is definitely the more attractive choice, though. Depending on how well MSI can maintain temps in this generation, I may be going with them as well.

I just bought a new MSI with the 970m GS 60 Ghost, 1080p and have no heating problems.

Back