GTX280 won't fit? after market cooler, 4870, or 4870x2?

Kahnvex

2[H]4U
So I've stepped up, I now have this gtx280, and nothing on Gods green earth is going to fit it into the shuttle in my Sig, so now what?

The length of the card is fine, but because of Nvidia's decision to engulf the entire card in plastic it makes contact with the ATX 4-pin connector. So I need help making a decision.

Do I go with an aftermarket cooler?

Do I go with a 4870?

or Do I spend even more money after I take a loss selling this GTX280 and go up to the 4870x2?

or do I just keep using this GD 8500GT card and play 0 games on my gaming PC until the 4800 cards come down in price, so I'm not out so much cash in trading out to different cards.

I can't find an aftermarket solution for the GTX280, does one even exist?

HELP!

mod the shuttle~

I tried that, making my own 4 pin ATX power connector using an extender cable and molex pins bent at a right angle, the card still makes contact with my custom plug, and as a result the pressure broke one of the molex pins. It took me about an hour to get it all wired up and it broke almost immediately.

There is no way to move the power connector, and molex pins aren't made to be bent, they do not like it.

I tried that, making my own 4 pin ATX power connector using an extender cable and molex pins bent at a right angle, the card still makes contact with my custom plug, and as a result the pressure broke one of the molex pins. It took me about an hour to get it all wired up and it broke almost immediately.

There is no way to move the power connector, and molex pins aren't made to be bent, they do not like it.

I'm trying to visualize what you're talking about. Did you try de-soldering the 4-pin socket from the mobo, then soldering in some 18ga wire between the motherboard and a 4-pin extension? That might work.

I'm trying to visualize what you're talking about. Did you try de-soldering the 4-pin socket from the mobo, then soldering in some 18ga wire between the motherboard and a 4-pin extension? That might work.

That would definitely work, but I am super not equipped to do that job.

A little off-topic question. How long are the 4870x2 and the GTX280? I measured my 8800GT and it's 9", my 4870 is 9.5". I think 10" is the max I can fit in my case.

Why all the shuttle hate? I'm not getting rid of the shuttle, it's quiet, space practical and has a ton of power in such a little box. It's no slouch, minus this one small engineering oversight.

found a better way to do the plug, should put less stress on the plug and wires, found it on sudhian. It's basically the same thing I was doing with a small tweak to the plug assembly.

The HR-03 gtx would be awesome, but it would hit the cd-rom/hard drive mounting tray. What I should do is sell the damn thing and wait for die shrinks on both cards to see if they can trim some ridiculous length and heat output from either of them (ati or nvidia) but like anybody, I don't want to wait

and if push really came to shove I could buy the 4870 1GB and have virtually identical perf, and a card that fits my case.

I'm not a fanboy of either brand, so I'm open to whatever works, green or red, it's all the same.

Why all the shuttle hate? I'm not getting rid of the shuttle, it's quiet, space practical and has a ton of power in such a little box. It's no slouch, minus this one small engineering oversight.

found a better way to do the plug, should put less stress on the plug and wires, found it on sudhian. It's basically the same thing I was doing with a small tweak to the plug assembly.

The HR-03 gtx would be awesome, but it would hit the cd-rom/hard drive mounting tray. What I should do is sell the damn thing and wait for die shrinks on both cards to see if they can trim some ridiculous length and heat output from either of them (ati or nvidia) but like anybody, I don't want to wait

and if push really came to shove I could buy the 4870 1GB and have virtually identical perf, and a card that fits my case.

I'm not a fanboy of either brand, so I'm open to whatever works, green or red, it's all the same.

This thing sounds pretty slick. Do you have any pics to share? :)

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/103642/P15/

thats the link to what the guy did over at sudhian, it's really a pretty inelegant fix to a sticky solution. But it's not ghetto -and it works, so kudos to him for thinking it up and making it work.

He only bent two pins, I didn't think of that, I bent all 4, and two of mine broke during me wiggling them around to figure stuff out. So I gave up.

I'll get it this time tho. :D

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/103642/P15/

thats the link to what the guy did over at sudhian, it's really a pretty inelegant fix to a sticky solution. But it's not ghetto -and it works, so kudos to him for thinking it up and making it work.

He only bent two pins, I didn't think of that, I bent all 4, and two of mine broke during me wiggling them around to figure stuff out. So I gave up.

I'll get it this time tho. :D

I meant pics of your shuttle dude. :D

I got my GTX280 installed in my shuttle. I've never had to mod power cables or roll my own ATX connector before, it's definitely the most [H] thing I've done in a while.

Now I need to come up with a better solution for wire management. The way everything is stuffed in there, it's absolutely a 15lbs of shit in a 5lb bag situation. Temps are up 4- 6 degrees at idle, so that 280 has definitely made a difference. Thank god it exhausts to the outside of the case. The problem being that it (the 280) blocks the cool air draw that the HSF uses as it pulls air from the right side of the case across the components and out the exhaust.

Pics forthcoming for any who are curious. Also, this 450w power supply seems to be the little engine that could.

Now lets see how long it holds up.

Back