GTX670 stops recognizing my monitor

Taiguy

n00b
Just picked up a Galaxy GTX670 GC to replace my 470. After installing it and updating the drivers everything looks and plays great. I'm running two displays off of DVI. The first is a Panasonic HDTV, the other is an older 22' BenQ LCD. If I turn my monitor for a while and then come back, Windows has stopped recognizing the TV.

It's just a blank screen. Under displays it shows up as Generic Non-PNP and won't move beyond a resolution of 1024x768. Unplugging the DVI cable and replugging it in is the only thing I've found which will fix the issue. It's a temporary fix as the next time I turn the TV off, it won't work when I turn it back on.

Did a clean reinstall of the Nvidia drivers, and still having the same issue.

Google also hasn't been much help :(

Have you updated the drivers for the monitor (usually through win update). I know it's strange, but sometimes it helps. Also try switching which display is your primary to see if the problem persists. When you turn off the screen, try having windows not turn the monitors off automatically or put the computer to sleep. Try to isolate the problem as much as possible so that you get to the core. One more thing.. have you tried switching the DVI ports for the two monitors? It might be a defective card.

Ran windows update and there were no new drivers for the TV. It shows up right now as "Panasonic TV" with the correct resolution, refresh rate, and bit depth.

Nothing has changed configuration wise except replacing the 470 with the 670. I tried switching the DVI ports on the back, but it wouldn't recognize the TV at all, after a reboot and everything.

Pickup another card, you might have a bad one. I had a 670 that was shutting off both my side monitors randomly... turned out to be a bad card

Amazon has been awesome (as always) and shipped me a replacement the next day. I put it in and same issue. When I turn my primary display (the panasonic tv) off, no change in display configuration. As soon as I power it back on however, it changes to a single monitor setup and labels the TV as "generic non-pnp" display. only fix is to unplug and replug in the cable.

Have you confirmed that the DVI cable is ok and the right type? Are you converting to HDMI at some point in the chain?

What resolution is the TV? What resolution is the 22" monitor?

Both are installed via DVI?

How are you using the two? Two separate or spanned?

Have you tried the TV off HDMI?

TV is at 1920 x 1080. 22" monitor is at 1680 x 1050. I've been using this setup for at least 3 years now. Both are using DVI cables. One DVI cable has a DVI to HDMI adapter at one end to interface with the TV.

They are extended/spanned displays.

The only thing that has changed in the environment is the graphics card. 8800GTS no issues, GTX 260 no issues, GTX 470 no issues, but now with the GTX 670 I'm running into what sounds like an EDID issue.

Ordered an HDMI cable to see if that would change things up. None of my previous video cards had a direct HDMI out.

I had this issue with my 670's as well but with triple monitors. Had to turn the monitor off and back on to resume the picture. Turns out I was using an dvi to vga adapater and the monitor was not recognized by the OS, switched to an HDMI cable and it resolved the issue. You said you are already using DVI so I don't know what else it could be. If you turn the monitor off and back on does the picture come back?

I had this issue with my 670's as well but with triple monitors. Had to turn the monitor off and back on to resume the picture. Turns out I was using an dvi to vga adapater and the monitor was not recognized by the OS, switched to an HDMI cable and it resolved the issue. You said you are already using DVI so I don't know what else it could be. If you turn the monitor off and back on does the picture come back?

The picture goes blank AFTER turning the TV back on.

Back