GTX750 and GTX750Ti - If only they weren't paper-launched

PGHammer

2[H]4U
I'm really beginning to despise paper-launches - in this case, it's the continued hooraw around the GTX750 and GTX750Ti - the first Maxwell-architecture products.

While they don't support SLI, they aren't meant to go there - these are bottom-end (practically sub-mainstream) GPUs targeted at the crossgrade/replacement market.

Both products are, in fact, not only half-length (the same size as GTX650 Ti, and half that of GTX550 Ti), they are also energy sippers, with the GTX750 Ti sporting a TDP of just 60W.
That means just what it sounds like - no auxilliary power needed, at all.

Only EVGA has product currently, and you have to purchase direct for now - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3751-KR

WTH are you talking about? many people have been buying these since yesterday

WTH are you talking about? many people have been buying these since yesterday

Where? You can buy them direct from EVGA, but Newegg has none. (MicroCenter also doesn't have any, either.) Without widespread availability, it's still a paper-launch.

Where? You can buy them direct from EVGA, but Newegg has none. (MicroCenter also doesn't have any, either.) Without widespread availability, it's still a paper-launch.

No, it is not. If there is one or two cards in a physical store and people have it in their hands this morning, it is not a paper launch. There were a few at the local best buy where I live...far from a paper launch.

At least one person bought from MicroCenter yesterday or the day before. It means the cards are here, even if you can't find one 90 minutes after NDA lifted, geez.

If I can buy this from evga right now, it's not a paper launch. Are we forgetting what paper launched were like back in the x800 days :p

Does anyone know how much faster this would be compared to a 650Ti?

I'm contemplating buying one for my HTPC just to check it out.

Does anyone know how much faster this would be compared to a 650Ti?

I'm contemplating buying one for my HTPC just to check it out.

20% faster than a stock 650 Ti, and 10% faster than a 650 Ti at 1071/6000 (ie evga sc model + mem oc)

Wrong, newegg has them already and has all morning.

Amazon has a few different models.

Microcenter has been selling them retail for a few days now.

If I can buy this from evga right now, it's not a paper launch. Are we forgetting what paper launched were like back in the x800 days :p

Seems it, haha. Paper launch means no cards available anywhere within a week or more of the card's "release date", basically. With etail and physical store availability this is not a paper launch.

xp4w.jpg

nqw3.png

Last edited:

Microcenter was selling it as of 3 days ago, in store.

So the r7 265 seems better still though...or those being sucked up by miners now aswell..

So the r7 265 seems better still though...or those being sucked up by miners now aswell..

The 265 isn't even in stores yet. It won't be in stores until the end of the month or more likely, early March. AMD essentially paper launched it to combat the upcoming 750ti (which is in stores now), PCPer discussed the availability issue in the podcast last week. All likelihood - early March for store availability. I think it would be a great GPU at 150$, but there's no fucking way 150$ is happening. It will spike to 190$+ immediately, basically. There is no denying that it performs far better than the 750ti, although the efficiency is pretty bad in comparison. Or I should say, Maxwell is just damn amazing in terms of efficiency, rather.

From Tom's benchmarks, the 750ti seems to have a hashrate comparable to the 265 while having far better efficiency - and the 750ti is a single slot card versus all of the custom 265's being double or 1.5. I don't like that situation, I was hoping Maxwell would be super shitty at mining. Apparently that will not be the case.

Actually, that may be 1.5 slot. Consider myself corrected. ;) Although I do think AIB partners could easily make it a single slot solution, just as many 7750 cards were.

didn't know the r7 265 wasnt out yet, i was thinking for actual gaming, couldn't care less about mining, but my Radeon 5770 is starting to show it's age :(

I was looking at comparable cards and saw the R7-265 was a bit faster, but then saw it wasn't out yet, so I just pulled the trigger on the 750Ti. I'm wanting to see how it compares to my 650Ti in my htpc. From the few benches it seems to be pretty decent in comparison.

As I said to someone else in another thread:

You're smoking something, or are really really impatient, or just an AMD fanboy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...op Graphics Cards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

Asus, Evga, Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac all have cards in stock ready to order by 5pm at the first shop I checked.

Edit: I actually ordered the Superclocked EVGA 750 Ti during the lunch hour and I just checked and it has already shipped. From Newegg. Would have been Amazon but there's this newfangled tax thing they now charge me, so back to the old standby.

Paper Launch my ass. Next time why don't you wait more than 60 minutes past the expiration of the NDA before posting?

Last edited:
Is this thread serious? Not only is it not a paper launch, but there are already custom AIB cards in stock @ Newegg.

Compared to a recent soft launch that didnt see custom cooling for a whole Q, this is pretty good.

Somewhat tempted to pick one of these up for my workstation and try to passively cool it. Probably better off sticking with my 6850 and buying an accelero down the line when the fan starts to bother me, though.

Kind of excited/amazed by the energy savings squeezed out of Maxwell.

Looking at some of the benches kicking around and man, these little things are ridiculous. Slightly higher performance than the 650 Ti Boost at less than half the power usage on the same process? That's some sweet engineering work right there.

Is this thread serious? Not only is it not a paper launch, but there are already custom AIB cards in stock @ Newegg.

Compared to a recent soft launch that didnt see custom cooling for a whole Q, this is pretty good.

Again, you're still talking e-tail. Let's get serious here - how many folks in that part of the computer sector even buy online?

I'm not saying that e-tail doesn't have use - I'm simply saying that retail (as in big-box retail) still has a use, and especially in this part of the market

Throw in data breaches (in both e-tail AND retail) and adopting an e-tail-only strategy (especially for mainstream and sub-mainstream GPUs) makes no sense at all.

In other words, I'm criticizing shortchanging retail - nothing else.

That's interesting since Microcenter was selling 750/750ti cards on the shelf 3 days before launch. Many folks over at OCN bought them prior to the launch date at Microcenter. And retail PC stores are for the most part dead in the US (with a FEW exceptions), I have no idea what you're talking about here. A decade ago you could easily walk into a best buy store and buy the best PC parts possible. There has been a paradigm shift in the past 5-6 years where most "retail" stores sell jack shit in terms of high end PC parts, much less lower end parts on launch day. B+M retail has been becoming less and less relevant in the states, I would say that the vast majority of PC buyers in the US buying parts are buying from etail. Microcenter and Fry's are few and far between. Tigerdirect/compUSA has wider store availability but they're certainly not ubiquitous. Also, Best Buy doesn't really sell anything compelling, on average, whereas a decade ago or even prior to that they did. I know I bought a Voodoo II on launch day or close to at best buy with a MSRP price. Can I walk into a Best Buy now and get a 780, 770, or 780ti? Well, the Best Buy stores (there are 3 of them) in my area sure as fuck don't sell anything like that. I might find an AMD 6670 or some stupid bullshit like that.

This is all ignoring the fact that you're wrong, anyway. Microcenter has had these cards on sale 3 days prior to launch. That aside, this really begs the question as to why the fuck you would rather buy from a local retail store rather than etail - the vast majority of the US does not pay taxes for newegg sales and can get free shipping through shoprunner. The only exception I make is for CPUs which MC obviously sells less than MSRP.

A decade ago you could easily walk into a best buy store and buy the best PC parts possible. There has been a paradigm shift in the past 5-6 years where most "retail" stores sell jack shit in terms of high end PC parts
Eh, the BestBuy near me isn't terrible. They keep the GTX 770 in stock. They also keep high-en AIO water cooling kits (like the H100i) out on the shelves.

No sign of the GTX 780 or GTX 780 Ti at B&M, but they are $500+ graphics cards. They might be considered "too expensive" to keep out on the shelves.

Well, mid range cards I guess depends on the BB in your area - some sell them, while others require special ordering to get those type of SKUs. The closest BB to me (3 total in my vicinity, in a 50 minute or so radius) generally sells low end stuff.

It's really different than what it was like a decade ago - I used to love BB back then and went there constantly to buy new PC gear. I could literally walk in and buy the highest end GPU possible in the past, now - not so much. But again I suppose this could be related to the BB stores i'm going to. I guess you can still a find a few things, but at least here the BB stores are way different in terms of PC part availability compared to many years ago. They're not selling as much volume now since a lot of consumers prefer etail over retail for PC parts, so they dedicate less shelf space to it.

CompUSA and Tigerdirect are somewhat better, although quite a few compUSA stores here closed. There's another store which is still open that is now a tigerdirect. They're decent with tons of availability, although their prices aren't so decent. I just find on average the e-tail is generally preferable since shipping is free and taxes aren't required up front - I love newegg because I get free 2 day shoprunner on everything. Not sure what it's like for everyone else, but, a decade ago I bought nearly everything PC via retail. Now? the price advantage is with etail and I get free shipping on top of that without up-front taxes. It's really hard to think of a reason to willingly go to retail, unless for instant gratification reasons (ie same day purchase). I dunno. I guess I usually don't mind waiting a couple days for a PC part. ;) The obvious exception here is MC's CPU prices...now for that I'll definitely prefer retail. And this obviously depends on area - some folks have better access to better retail PC stores.

Last edited:
Back