Guess what I'm doing this weekend.

eastvillager

[H]ard|Gawd
toys3.jpg

Even though those comments were pretty selfish, and stem from jealousy.... they were pretty funny. The hiking one, was so random it appealed to me :D

I know I’m jealous as hell about the system you have there.

you're gonna order some pizza first. then you're gonna stare at your tech and rub one out. after that you will start to assemble all of those bad ass pieces of equipment and enjoy breathtaking performance. i can relate sort of...minus the sli'd gtx's. jesus that's gonna be some sweet performance. if i could just get my shit stable i would be to. damn I/O errors have me suicidal.

Looks like someone is going to be making their kid one expensive PCB fort...
That, or your pitting a ninja against some aliens...My money is on the turbo cool ninja

I'm actually going to ask a relevent question: What are the rest of the specs? Anyway, looks like 'fun' would fit in the description somewhere. ;)

You're sponsoring a contest where [H} members have a chance to win some decent prizes?
:p

good on u, man...
:D

I can't say for sure what you're doing this weekend, but i can tell you with 100% accuracy that you won't have sex this weekend.....

Ok, I came up for breath after the first bit of work.

Things accomplished so far:

1. Unpacked all of it, lol.
2. Removed plextor dvd-rw from current rig
3. Removed two 74GB raptors from current rig
4. Installed 510 sli power supply in p180
5. Installed motherboard in p180
6. Installed 4 36GB raptors in p180
7. Installed 2 74GB raptors in p180
8. Installed Plextor DVD-RW in p180
9. Installed the two 7800gtx oc cards
10. Installed 2x1024 MB sticks of PQI turbo
11. Installed audigy 2 ZS I had laying around. Figure it is probably a hair better than the onboard audigy.
12. Install front 120mm fan in top chamber
13. Install floppy drive

I can't find one of my SATA data cables, have to buy another one tomorrow.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'll do the following:

1. Install last SATA data cable
2. Remove fx-55 from current rig
3. Install fx-55 in p180
4. Install scythe heatsink
5. Plug it in, press the power button, and pray.
6. Configure 2 RAID volumes
7. Install winxp... and all that entails

Case is so big, you'd think it'd be easier to work in, but it is a pain in the rear. If it were 2 inches deeper from front to back, it'd go from nightmare to daydream.

midway.jpg

ScYcS said:
I can't say for sure what you're doing this weekend, but i can tell you with 100% accuracy that you won't have sex this weekend.....

I wouldn't be too sure about that, giving your gf a sn25p preconfigured with World of Warcraft and her current account goes a long ways...

DejaWiz said:
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that your MSI Platinum board is the newer revision that doesn't have the Capacitor/7800GTX problem. Keep us posted!

No problems with capacitors and gtxs.

The only issue with gtx is that the power cable coming out of the gtx rams right into the power cable coming out of the hard drive in front of it. It fits with a bit of umm, bending. I'm going to look for some right angle sata power cables tomorrow, or switch those two drives to normal power cables.

I found another sata data cable in the parts bin, so that last drive is taken care of.

Since the video card duct that comes with p180 is pretty much useless for sli, I decided to throw something together just to make sure I get air movement over the cards.

drill+2 slot covers+a fan+2 screws =

sidefan.jpg

Wow, that looks really good. The monitor I'm using right now sucks..but from what I can tell, you did a really good job with the cables. Update with pics once it's working! I wanna see some 3D Mark scores..

eastvillager said:
I found another sata data cable in the parts bin, so that last drive is taken care of.

Since the video card duct that comes with p180 is pretty much useless for sli, I decided to throw something together just to make sure I get air movement over the cards.

drill+2 slot covers+a fan+2 screws =

sidefan.jpg
Way to ghetto rig up your 2k+ rig man
rolleyes.gif

I see the functionality but.... yeah I would have to do something cooler with that.

eastvillager said:
I wouldn't be too sure about that, giving your gf a sn25p preconfigured with World of Warcraft and her current account goes a long ways...

So she's tied up for 36 hours while you have relations with her hot sister/co-worker/friend? :D

ed: taken out the non-family environment sounding phrase....

god that looks so cramped in there and thats sposed to be a huge case!!! :eek: :eek:

how was the hiking trip?!

soulsaver

meh, I've seen better and yea it does seem a bit cramped in there. Then again, I'm using the stacker..

Interesting.....I've always put the HSF on the CPU while the MoBo is on my bench, before it goes in the case. That way, I can pick up the MoBo and look at it, to make sure the HSF is on straight and flat.

Probably not as big an issue now that CPU's have heat spreaders on them, but old habits die hard.

Have fun - B.B.S.

Didn't get to work on the box again till today.

Anyways, the CPU and heatsink are installed, the RAID arrays are configured, and I'm at the "pray service pack 2 doesn't break my windows install" part of the game.

Happy I had no issues when I finally turned the power on.

Haha, good job! I didn't have any problems with SP2. Don't think it's quite as bad as it was first made out to be.

11,552 3dmarks with no tweaking. Default 3dmark runs pretty low res, cpu is what holds me back on this bench, it would seem.

I had one side of the case open while doing all of the OS install junk, put the side on the case and the temps on the vidcards dropped a couple degrees. :)

Back