Guestimated Prices of 6 Core Chips?

Macadami

n00b
I recently upgraded my HTPC to a athlon x2 250, very impressed with the performance per dollar ratio of the build, but have been putting off upgrading my gaming system until new chips come out.

Being as there isn't any real info on the new 850/890 chipsets regarding their compatibility with the new CPU's, I'm a little put off in buying a new motherboard and a current chip and upgrading later.

So onto the question, Should I just buy a 435 or 635 now and a new chipset motherboard or wait for the new procs to hit? I would like to spend less than 150 on the chip itself, and am a little afraid that the new chips may all come with a bigger price. I haven't been paying attention to AMD's last 2 'new gen' chip releases, so I have no clue as to what they may cost.

Last gaming build and upgrade path was a Athlon XP 3200+ 939 to an FX60 OC'd to 3.2ghz and it's still playing all the current games...almost 6 years later

"Intel's are right around that price" should indicate that AMD's will be much cheaper...

The new 890 chipset was built to launch with these, too, so I don't know where the OP is getting that shaky feeling. We already know the names of the new chips coming out, as well. Prices... that's where we fall flat, but expect AMD to take a logical approach. Thus, if AMD can sell you a quad-core 2.8GhZ chip for say... $150, you could probably expect to see a 6-core 2.8GhZ chip at $270-ish. I'm not saying either of these numbers is even accurate, but I would expect that you'd pay a number based logically on how much more the extra 2 cores would cost, plus a small premium for getting a new chip. I think the highest chip in the 6-core AMD hierarchy would be $350 or less, assuming they do their pricing based on basic math.

Last edited:
Probably around $999. New 6 core Intels are right around that price.

Not even close. These won't have the performance of the new Gulftown i7s, but neither the high prices as well. AMD so far has all been about giving more performance and value for the dollar, not the bleeding edge tech and speed as Intel has.

Phenom II x4 960T - $190 - 3.3 Ghz QuadCore with Turbo-Boost
Phenom II x6 1035T - $230 - 2.6 Ghz Hexacore with Turbo-Boost
Phenom II x6 1055T - $270 - 2.8 Ghz Hexacore with Turbo-Boost
Phenom II x6 1075T - $310 - 3.0 Ghz Hexacore with Turbo-Boost + Unlocked Multiplier

My best guestamites with the info I have.

Probably around $999. New 6 core Intels are right around that price.

are you a Re-Tard ?

typically Intel chips are ATLEAST 2 times the price at launch(for same performance level)....

as said, it will probably retail for ~350-400...cant see AMD doing much higher, or people will just invest in an intel system....

The 960T is supposed to be a 6-core chip with 2 cores disabled. It may or may not be possible to unlock a 960T to 5 or 6 cores, but it's all just speculation at this point. If you want more than 4 cores for under $200, that is going to be the most likely path. I doubt these new chips will be a huge boon for gamers. I'm looking forward to them for Distributed Computing.

Phenom II x4 960T - $190 - 3.3 Ghz QuadCore with Turbo-Boost
Phenom II x6 1035T - $230 - 2.6 Ghz Hexacore with Turbo-Boost
Phenom II x6 1055T - $270 - 2.8 Ghz Hexacore with Turbo-Boost
Phenom II x6 1075T - $310 - 3.0 Ghz Hexacore with Turbo-Boost + Unlocked Multiplier

My best guestamites with the info I have.

i with you there.

I would expect the price for the 2.8GHz version to be around the i7 920 since that would be the Intel chip in the same performance category.

lets hope so....i wouldnt mind dropping ~300 on a 6 core black edition(all ill buy now lol, loved the two ive had.....and so easy to OC)

There's no way they could price these chips for so cheap it would kill their enterprise market and probably irritate some ppl in the process.

I would expect the price for the 2.8GHz version to be around the i7 920 since that would be the Intel chip in the same performance category.

but does the performance of the 6 core match core i7 clock for clock? probably not...

i would say somewhere around $500

There's no way they could price these chips for so cheap it would kill their enterprise market and probably irritate some ppl in the process.

different sockets.....these are NOT server chips.....they are based on a server chip, but made/designed(tweaked) for consumer use.....the boards they can be used on are consumer boards....it cant kill their enterprise market because simply it wont even compete on the server level.....

you need to remember that the speculated prices are based off of past AMD releases, and the fact that AMD usually undercuts Intel..

I'm going to say they will start at $300 with the lowest clocks and move up to $800 or so for the black edittion.

Only thing that makes sense to me. They wont price them so close to the quad cores becuase in multithreaded apps they will shit all over the quad core intel i7s

Like I said, if my source is also correct on the prices then there are going to be a lot of happy people. Also the 1075T is supposed to run @ 3.6Ghz when only 4 cores are in use so, def. a nice step up from the 965.

but does the performance of the 6 core match core i7 clock for clock? probably not...

i would say somewhere around $500

No it will not match i7 clock for clock on 1 to 3 threads but it will have TB have to help. At 4 to 8 threads the AMD chip will not have a large TB to help the significantly lower per core IPC versus i7 so there it will make use of the 2 extra real cores against Intels 4 virtual cores. In this case I am going to say again in the high threaded situation there will not be a clear winner in performance. These two chips will both win some lose some.

Again I put the 2.8GHz 6 core thuban at the i7 920 price of about $270US.

Last edited:
I dunno why, but I have this urge to get moving from my Core i7 920 setup to a hex-core Thuban.....It already feels like an outdated museum piece. :confused: :p

I have a feeling you will be disappointed with that sideways move. You probably will end up with some cash in your pocket however. But I don't think it will be worth the reduced upgradability. I doubt the buldozer chip will be AM3 so in my opinion the thuban is the last or next to last chip revison on this socket.

I have a feeling you will be disappointed with that sideways move. You probably will end up with some cash in your pocket however. But I don't think it will be worth the reduced upgradability. I doubt the buldozer chip will be AM3 so in my opinion the thuban is the last or next to last chip revison on this socket.

Yes, I'm sure I read the octo-core AMD Bulldozer chips coming next year will not be AM3 compatible.

I'm wondering if Intel's octo-core chips next year will be compatible with the current X58 LGA 1366 motherboards out there. I hope they'll be supported for a long time. :confused:

I'm sure I read the octo-core AMD Bulldozer chips

I believe those will be quad module which is technically quad core. Each module has 2 threads. AMD will have to have some press to explain how this is better than Intels HT.

Last edited:
because it is more than just 2 threads per core.......if i remember correctly there is one dedicated core, plus another "mini" type core where it does more....i cant remember what all...just that it was more than just HT technology

I believe it has more pipelines per module than HT has per core and makes more efficient usage of the pipelines.

different sockets.....these are NOT server chips.....they are based on a server chip, but made/designed(tweaked) for consumer use.....the boards they can be used on are consumer boards....it cant kill their enterprise market because simply it wont even compete on the server level.....

you need to remember that the speculated prices are based off of past AMD releases, and the fact that AMD usually undercuts Intel..

Orly? There's not much separating server chips from consumer ones besides all of the things that AMD and Intel do to differentiate them in order to justify and force the higher cost structure. Besides this any system can be used as a server, obviously. I can see 500-600 but 300 bucks is doubtful imo. There's no room for the chips to go down in cost at 300.

There's no room for the chips to go down in cost at 300.

The price is very dependent on the competition. AMD has for the most part made its prices less than the Intel chip in the same performance category.

Orly? There's not much separating server chips from consumer ones besides all of the things that AMD and Intel do to differentiate them in order to justify and force the higher cost structure. Besides this any system can be used as a server, obviously. I can see 500-600 but 300 bucks is doubtful imo. There's no room for the chips to go down in cost at 300.

Um... server and desktop chips are built differently... On top of the fact that the 2.7ghZ 6-core Opty chip uses a mere 75W vs the desktop chip's 125W, which is 66% more, they're designed to do different things. One is designed to run a single operating system and place emphasis on end-user experience, the other is designed to handle constant network stack, directory, file, dns, email, database, etc requests. Picking out server hardware is a much taller task to a system builder than picking out desktop hardware.

Historically, AMD's desktop chips have gone up for sale at 33% of their server equivalents and worked their way down to 25% of the cost somewhat quickly. Seeing that Istanbul has a going price of $999.99 at newegg and Magny-Cours is on its way to market here in a few, along with the fact that they need to compete with Intel a bit harder in the desktop market until they can successfully launch Bulldozer chips, it becomes quite clear that a $500 chip simply isn't a viable possibility. Nehalem is one hell of a beast, and given that Istanbul's 6-cores still need a bit of a clockspeed advantage over Nehalem's 4 cores when it comes to applications that can utilize all those cores says to me that your estimates are probably not accurate.

If speculation is sooooo important for you to be the best at, you should probably just join Twitter and get a Mac. They love gossip and claiming they're more right than anybody else.

Um... server and desktop chips are built differently... On top of the fact that the 2.7ghZ 6-core Opty chip uses a mere 75W vs the desktop chip's 125W, which is 66% more, they're designed to do different things. One is designed to run a single operating system and place emphasis on end-user experience, the other is designed to handle constant network stack, directory, file, dns, email, database, etc requests. Picking out server hardware is a much taller task to a system builder than picking out desktop hardware.

Historically, AMD's desktop chips have gone up for sale at 33% of their server equivalents and worked their way down to 25% of the cost somewhat quickly. Seeing that Istanbul has a going price of $999.99 at newegg and Magny-Cours is on its way to market here in a few, along with the fact that they need to compete with Intel a bit harder in the desktop market until they can successfully launch Bulldozer chips, it becomes quite clear that a $500 chip simply isn't a viable possibility. Nehalem is one hell of a beast, and given that Istanbul's 6-cores still need a bit of a clockspeed advantage over Nehalem's 4 cores when it comes to applications that can utilize all those cores says to me that your estimates are probably not accurate.

If speculation is sooooo important for you to be the best at, you should probably just join Twitter and get a Mac. They love gossip and claiming they're more right than anybody else.

great post, must say i forgot to mention the power differences :)

Back