GUI Programming Questions

Crashsector

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everyone. I'm a database guy and I have some ideas I'd like to discuss about GUI programming.

First off - which OS, if any, do you think is easiest to program GUIs for (Windows, Linux, OSX, etc.)?

Which of the above create the best GUIs, if different?

Would a cross-platform solution be more appropriate (aka GTK) for a GUI-intensive application?

I don't really need to know which is easiest to program, since the idea is to find someone else that's already good at it.

Thanks for any input - this is an area I'm not very well versed in.

Well, I have an idea for a standalone application that will be very heavily database driven (MySQL actually). I was just wondering what I should look for in someone to work with for making the application.

Hence, I wouldn't be learning anything :) Just trying to find out what skillset I should look for.

Ok, I'll take another stab at it. The answers are based on my personal experienced (win32 only development) so it will vary from what others might say.

Crashsector said:
Hello everyone. I'm a database guy and I have some ideas I'd like to discuss about GUI programming.

First off - which OS, if any, do you think is easiest to program GUIs for (Windows, Linux, OSX, etc.)?
Windows :)

Crashsector said:
Which of the above create the best GUIs, if different?
I've seen slick GUI applications on all the OSes.

Crashsector said:
Would a cross-platform solution be more appropriate (aka GTK) for a GUI-intensive application?
If possible, try to avoid cross-platform development. More time needed for QA and testing. Will it work on the next kernel? NT4 sp12? OSX lion king?, etc.

I'm personally a huge fan of XCode and associated tools for making really nice GUIs.

As a curiousity though, HJB, what are you talking about for making really easy GUIs on Win32? VB? Other than that, I've always found it to be a huge huge pain in the ass. If there's just something that I've been missing, please enlighten me :D

Back