GUIDE: Air-cooling for CPUs, GPUs, and just about everyone of you

Using rubber fasteners (like on Antec's quiet cases) can help reduce vibration transmission quite a bit, but the rubber itself must be soft enough to be able to move freely. Have you tried undervolting the fan first? That'll reduce some of the vibration.

yea i've tried undervolting them. it's actually quite odd bc usually fans will go down in noise after just a little bit of a turn on a fan controller but not these. its like the same noise level drop all the time. so i was thinking vibrations have something to do with it. it's mainly the front fan that i hear. also would it be possible to make rubber feet or something for my lian li bci can feel vibrations on my desk from the case.

one more question on noise. what is the high pitched hum that comes from computers? this is like no fans on or just the cpu fan. i know it's not like a chipset or video card bc it's the same sound that old pentiums make.

High-pitched whine? That usually comes from the motherboard voltage regulators or the power supply. Nothing to worry about.

_Korruption_ said:
High-pitched whine? That usually comes from the motherboard voltage regulators or the power supply. Nothing to worry about.

damn that means there is nothing i can do about it then right.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
you could sink the voltage regulators, that might help it, as if they are cooler, they might not whine?
The high-pitched whine has nothing to do with heat, as far as I know. It is just a high-frequency vibration coming from the ferrite torroids.

tard.gif

Hey guys any recommendation for a Intel D925XE 775 cpu cooler? There are so many choices...kinda lost.

Well, how much do you want to spend? The Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro is liked all-around and is a very good value. That's what the guide is for... read up ;)

It is just a high-frequency vibration coming from the ferrite torroids.
Man, I'd whine too if I had ferrite torroids. You'd better see a doctor about those.

I am stuck

I want to OC a Opty 165 but with just air cooling

Ninja vs. XP-90c?? ugggg

I'd go perhaps with a Noctua NH-120 if it fits your board, or else I'd say ninja or NH-90 if you want silent overclocking...
I like both the NH-90, Ninja and XP-90C but I'm using the XP-90C atm since Ninja does not fit my board without mod and I'm a bit lazy... And the NH-120 does not fit at all... NH-90 fits, but I don't like the fan blowing upwards into the PSU, I want it to blow into the rear fan... Coming a new modell soon what I've heard tho... :)

Well I am not sure what an NH-120 is but I think I am gonna go with the Ninja.
It fits my board well.

CopyCat said:
Well I am not sure what an NH-120 is but I think I am gonna go with the Ninja.
It fits my board well.

just another heatsink out there, a good one too. Just hasn't really become very mainstream. Similar to the ninja

dtess17 said:
just another heatsink out there, a good one too. Just hasn't really become very mainstream. Similar to the ninja
Got any links or something? I can't seem to find it

I don't know their website, but the swedish site www.tystpc.nu imports them to Sweden, to bad his website is in swedish.... Also my review on it is in swedish, but I could post a diagram in a shootout with some other coolers.

resultat.gif

For you who don't know swedish, just ask if you want something translated.

Nice chart but you're missing some info.

1. More coolers - NH-U12, Scythe Ninja, TT Big Typhoon, HR-01, XP-120 and XP-90, SI-120, AC Freezer 64 Pro
2. What is the test system?
3. Is this CPU temp from overclocks or stock clocks?
4. Is this test in an enclosed (mounted in a case) system or open system (sittin' on a table)?
5. What's the time table for the tests? How long did you idle and load it?

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Nice chart but you're missing some info.

1. More coolers - NH-U12, Scythe Ninja, TT Big Typhoon, HR-01, XP-120 and XP-90, SI-120, AC Freezer 64 Pro
2. What is the test system?
3. Is this CPU temp from overclocks or stock clocks?
4. Is this test in an enclosed (mounted in a case) system or open system (sittin' on a table)?
5. What's the time table for the tests? How long did you idle and load it?

The chart was from a review I did on those five coolers, it was a roundup. :p
The testsystem is what I have in my sig, in a closed case. Running prime95 for 1 hour...

_Korruption_, thank you very much for that well put together list of cooling options, I just got a Zalman 9500 for my X2 as well as a VF900 for my 7900 both from your suggested list. Thanks for the all time you spent working on it, it is much appreciated :).

Great guide but my friend just got the new AM2 socket and is having trouble finding a good heatsink any recommendations
i think so far he's only found one zalman it's real nice but is that his only option?

soorma07 said:
Great guide but my friend just got the new AM2 socket and is having trouble finding a good heatsink any recommendations
i think so far he's only found one zalman it's real nice but is that his only option?

The stock heatsink for the AM2 processors is an excellent performer. Unless he doesn't like the looks of it I would keep that and maybe just remount it with a better thermal paste.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
The stock heatsink for the AM2 processors is an excellent performer. Unless he doesn't like the looks of it I would keep that and maybe just remount it with a better thermal paste.
it didn't seem like a good performer his temps were still pretty high so that zalman is looking real good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118004&ATT=35-118-004&CMP=OTC-Froogle
and i'm pretty sure he's put some AS5 on it
any other options for the new socket?

AM2 is still a little iffy. Some say that if the heatsink uses the default clip-on mounting system as seen on Socket 939, then it should be able to fit onto the AM2 bracket, as it retains the two centre lugs that were present on the 939 bracket.

Have a read at an article that explores cross-platform heatsink compatibility, and it seems to make sense.

Zalman's new CNPS8000 is compatible with 939, and uses the clip-on mount, but they don't mention AM2 compatibility anywhere. I remember reading (I think it was on SFFTech) that Zalman said the CNPS8000 wasn't compatible with AM2, but they didn't say why. The CNPS9500 AM2 will fit, and is a very nice heatsink.. just a little pricey. I think Thermalright has some AM2 models coming out very soon.

I guess arctic silver is right on. I mounted my heatsink originally using the 100% covering method using AS5 (spread very thin layer over the entire HSI surface). My temps were 45C idle and around 65-70C load. I reapplied my heatsink last night, after removing the old AS5 with denatured alcohol, using the 2/3 grain of uncooked rice placed in the center of the HSI method instructed by arctic silver. My new temps are 37C idle and around 46C load (so far, i have only briefly experimented). Definitive evidence for me. Just my $0.02.

When I put Arctic Silver 5 on my 4000+ it dropped my idle from 38C to 29C and my load from 51C to 41C. I'm currently using a Thermaltake Golden Orb II, looking to get a Thermalright SI-128 though.

I purchased a system from Vigor that had the New Monsoon II TEC cooler. I am able to run an Athlon 4800+ (2.4G) at 2.94G very stable. While running Prime95 small FFT torture test, it max out at 45C under full load (Room temperature of 25C). My system is configured as follows:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 AM2 4800+ Overclocket to 2.94G 1.66V
Vigor Monsoon II TEC Cooler
Corsair 8500 2G @ 800MHz 3-3-3-Auto 2.25V
Dual XFX 7900GTX 512MB in SLI mode
Dual WD Raptor 150G in RAID 0
Vigor Force w/MACS Super Tower Case

I am using the read out of Asus Probe that came with my M2N32-SLI deluxe board. There is a review that just came out from PC Perspective:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=273

The reviewer pointed out:

"The performance of most traditional heatsink fans and water-cooling systems that rely on convection cooling changes linearly with the ambient room air temperature (at least within the temperature range of most CPU operation). If the ambient air temperature goes up 10°C, then so will the CPU temperature (Delta T remains the same) and vise versa. However, with active TEC cooling this is NOT the case......

Artificially increasing the ambient room air temperature to 36°C (recycling warm exhaust air) forced the Monsoon II into active mode. This is also a more realistic internal case temperature. Under these conditions performance was outstanding as indicated by a negative Delta T (-3.4°C). Yes, the CPU (cold plate) temperature was actually lower than the ambient room air temperature. In this active mode the TEC was turned on almost constantly and the fan speed cycled between medium and high (mostly medium)."

This cooler really worked out with me, because sometimes my room temp do get up in the 30s C. There are a couple more reviews that talks about this cooler:

http://www.vigorgaming.com/reviews/review-060106.html
http://www.vigorgaming.com/reviews/review-041806.html

That is my 2 cents. :)

Way too complicated. This is air-cooling, not TEC cooling we're talking about here. It's probably pretty expensive and the noise the fan makes whilst pulsing up and down may not be very desirable.

_Korruption_ said:
Way too complicated. This is air-cooling, not TEC cooling we're talking about here. It's probably pretty expensive and the noise the fan makes whilst pulsing up and down may not be very desirable.

Supposedly $130!

The installation is just like an Air cooler, and it does use air-cooling. As far as the noise, I did notice that problem until I really look for it after reading the review. It wasn't as noticeable when it is inside of the case. Besides, the 92 MM fan operates between 2200rpm to 2700 rpm (mostly between 2200 and 2500), compare that to a high powered air cooling solution, it is actually pretty quiet.

FYI, I have purchased another Monsoon II to play around with a good friend of mine that somehow gotten a hold of a E6800 Conroe. We started yesterday and we have gotten some really nice numbers. It seems that we can get the conroe (2.93G) to boot up @ 3.95G, however, can not get it running stable at that speed. Right now, we have it running at 3.81G for a couple of hours with Prime95 tests right now at 60C max. I will get a screen shot later if it stays stable.

Back