Guild Wars 2 announces The Guardian

wow, a tank class in an mmo

May seem that way, however the original Guild Wars never had a tank class. It had a warrior class that basically just did damage, no real way to keep agro or guard people. So this is pretty good news to people that enjoy playing tank classes, such as myself.

I'm excited.

Tanking was something I was surprised by in WOW. It seemed ludicrous that all you had to do was get 1 guy to soak all the damage and have the healers spam him. In guild wars the healers actually had to react to who took damage and every player had to play defense on top of the typical spamming 1 or 2 skills on offense. I just wish they keep the same mindset in GW2.

From the looks of it, the guardian is a paladin basically...

I didn't see anything that would lead me to think this will be a traditional tank class. It seems much more like a defensive support class.

Tanking was something I was surprised by in WOW. It seemed ludicrous that all you had to do was get 1 guy to soak all the damage and have the healers spam him. In guild wars the healers actually had to react to who took damage and every player had to play defense on top of the typical spamming 1 or 2 skills on offense. I just wish they keep the same mindset in GW2.

From the looks of it, the guardian is a paladin basically...

From that page, the Guardian does not have anything threat related. Looks more like a defensive/support class than a meat shield tank like you see in WoW. If the Guardian had a bunch of taunts and abilities to cause enemies to attack and then mitigate the damage, it would be a Paladin...

I don't believe GW2 will have dedicated healers either, so I wouldn't expect to see a traditional "Stand behind everyone else and spam heals" character in the upcoming reveals.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/guild-wars-2-has-no-healers-or-tanks

I believe they are also avoiding traditional threat control such as taunts and abilities that generate extra threat.

From a Dev Chat (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/irc-dev-chat-transcription-with-t12616.html):
[Kvinna] [patrickvp] Can you talk about the agro mechanic? Is it DPS based, armor based, random, or something else?
[IsaiahCartwright] Currently its a combination of DPS, Positional, and a bunch of other factors. Currently how close you are to the enemy is the biggest factor.

I didn't see anything that would lead me to think this will be a traditional tank class. It seems much more like a defensive support class.

I like it when people talk about Guild Wars with the same reverent tone that George Bush would talk about Jesus Christ.

From that page, the Guardian does not have anything threat related. Looks more like a defensive/support class than a meat shield tank like you see in WoW. If the Guardian had a bunch of taunts and abilities to cause enemies to attack and then mitigate the damage, it would be a Paladin...

I never said Paladin from WOW. There are Paladins from other games as well. The description of the guardian sounds exactly like how you would describe a Paladin is all I'm saying.

After doing a bit of research on GW2 I am NOT getting Rift, I cannot wait for GW2 to release :D

Are they still sticking to no healer class or are they slipping away from it like WAR did? I have a ton of thoughts on the subject but I'll resist the need to elaborate.

Are they still sticking to no healer class or are they slipping away from it like WAR did?

Well, that's the difference. WAR never claimed to have no healer classes, just none that had to/could only spam heals constantly (turned out to be wrong). GW2 is claiming to be spreading healing out between all classes with a lot of it being self healing and not actually possible to be a full time healer.

Last edited:
This game is so far hyped and has been in development for so long that I stopped caring about it a year ago. What...5 years now and we still have nothing????

great games usually take a while to make. WOW wasnt made in 5mins. half life 2 wasnt made in 5mins. etc etc

I hope they aren't stingy with graphics settings. It would suck for this game to appear visually outdated by the time it's released.

And from what I've seen so far, the dialogue is still cheesy and the story is still dull. This game will be a release day purchase for me and I know I'll enjoy the game mechanics. I just think the story is going to suck. Way too PG-13...

Must....keep.....realistic....expectations....

Last edited:
I hope they aren't stingy with graphics settings. It would suck for this game to appear visually outdated by the time it's released.

Are you fucking kidding me? take a look at world of warcraft and see how outdated that game looks

This game is so far hyped and has been in development for so long that I stopped caring about it a year ago. What...5 years now and we still have nothing????

Hey, you want a shitty CoD demake every year? Go for it, You want a quality game? It takes time to make.

Graphics are going to underwhelm you, this game is optimized to run on just about any kind of PC. Maxed out it will probably look great but it will push the limits of whats out there today.

Are you fucking kidding me? take a look at world of warcraft and see how outdated that game looks

Seriously, WoW is eyerape, yet people play it for the gameplay. Same with Guild Wars, but it tends to look a whole lot better than WoW

Hey, you want a shitty CoD demake every year? Go for it, You want a quality game? It takes time to make.

Well-played-sir.jpg

Guys, check this out. What a breath of fresh air. This article pretty much sums up why GW2 is gonna rock.
http://www.arena.net/blog/jon-peters-talks-combat

That is why we want to eliminate things that we felt were burdens on the game such as:

* Group LF Healer/Tank…
* Party wipes when you lose the wrong person.
* Watching the interface instead of the world.
* Playing with people because you have to, not because you want to.
* Being stuck in the same combat patterns over and over again.

While nice and all, how are they planning on fixing it? Couldn't read the article at work this morning but promises and wishes are easy to make....implementing them is considerably harder.
Here you go, i'll paste the article for ya.

GW2 Dev said:
Healing Skill slot

Everyone has a dedicated slot on their skill bar where they must place a healing skill. These vary greatly and are an intimate part of the Guild Wars 2 build-making process, but ultimately they are your most efficient and reliable way to sustain yourself in battle. Why did we do this? Because we think it is a more interesting way to create sustained encounters for solo players AND groups while keeping players focused on themselves and their surroundings.
Downed, defeated, and revival

The downed system creates combat situations where fallen allies (and enemies in PvP) are actual strategic locations in a battle. It means that situations can change quickly and players must react to them. From level 1, every profession has the ability to revive everyone else. This means that players don’t have to rely on one profession in case someone is defeated both during and after combat. I said that the healing skill was the most effective way to keep you going in a fight, which it is. However, in a party, what is more awesome than being able to revive someone who was defeated and doing nothing back to being a contributing member of the group again? We did this because it makes combat more dynamic and social—two of the main goals of Guild Wars 2.
Shared boon system

The basic buff system in Guild Wars 2 is a set of ally-friendly buffs that we call boons. There are seven“…We built this game so that they professions act as play styles, not as roles…” boons: Regeneration, Might, Fury, Swiftness, Protection, Vigor, and Aegis. With the exception of the Aegis boon, these are available to different professions on different weapons and skills. Their duration stacks but their effectiveness does not stack, so two players using Regeneration boon are equally effective putting health regeneration on allies. This system allows us to simplify the buff system while also making everyone similarly effective when trying to do something that the system handles. The duration stacking also means that you can’t overdo something, but you also aren’t ever wasting a boon when stacking it.

For example, if you put 10 seconds of regeneration on an ally and they already has 5 seconds of regeneration remaining, they will now have a total of 15 seconds of regeneration. More overall health, but not any more efficient.
No allied targeting

This is one of the big ones. There are no skills that specifically target allies. Everything must be done using positioning, ground targeting or other unconventional methods. This keeps every profession focused on their allies in the world, which adds a tactical complexity to the combat. Instead of watching red bars, we want you to watch your allies in the world. Making sure you are dropping ground-targeted spells effectively and moving into position to block attacks on allies is how we want players to defend each other.
Diversity

Being able to adapt to situations is something that we feel makes combat more exciting. In Guild Wars 2, the combination of weapon swapping and skill versatility give each profession the ability to adapt to combat situations and change their role. Taking too much damage as a warrior? Swap to mace and shield. A bunch of adds as an elementalist? Attune to fire. Even within single skills we try and maintain versatility. A guardian that brings Wall of Deflection or an elementalist with Swirling Aura can use them to defend allies when retreating. They can also use it to push into enemy lines, or they can cast it in a timely manner to counter a particularly dangerous enemy projectile and send the effects of that projectile back to the attacker. Being able to rotate roles and cover for other players is another piece in the puzzle to removing dependencies.
Mobility

Another important part of Guild Wars 2 combat is mobility. We felt that in order to get the dynamic and visceral feel that we wanted combat to have, players needed to be more mobile. A lot of work went into this from animation systems to animations themselves allowing skills while moving. It takes a lot of pressure off of the skill system and puts in back into movement, tactical play, and ground control—the areas where we wanted the game to be focused. Couple that with dodging arrows and double tap dodge rolling and you create a combat system that is more like a first person shooter where finding real cover, flanking and other more realistic fighting techniques find a lot more use. This again de-emphasizes the importance of roles and focuses players on what we intend, which is how their profession plays.
Pullquote Text

We’ve said this a few times in a few places but I can’t reiterate it enough: We built this game so that they professions act as play styles, not as roles. Each profession can support, control, and do damage. We believe that this creates more dynamic combat and more distinct professions because there are more play styles than roles.

One of the best ways to explain this is with an analogy. In a first person shooter there can be a variety of weapons, from sniper rifles to rocket launchers to machine guns and shotguns. No one looks at these weapons and says, “They’re all the same, they all just do DPS.” Why should an MMO be any different?

Back