Guys I'm torn, please help me out...

roxtc

n00b
So I came onto this forum for a couple months now, silently watching and reading because I needed a monitor and I needed a good resource to research however I'm truly torn and hope you guys help me make a decision...

I orignally wanted the Dell Ultrasharp 2408, but after hearing about its high lag, and seeing it on video I decided against it. However I really wanted a monitor like it, and the closest I came to without stretching already stretched budget even more, was the beautiful BenQ FP241W. It had similar panel, also fully adjustable stand, and had MOST of the ports I wanted. I have a new Lenovo laptop with displayport so I would've loved to use it, but I wouldn't mind having it converted to HDMI/DVI. I was pretty set on it, had some quotes ready and then it happened:

I went into Future Shop to pay off my credit card there, and of course I take a stroll. I knew I wasn't going to find anything because they only sold TN Panel monitors (excluding the Apple Cinema), but then I saw it. Acer H213H 22" 1080p monitor with HDMI, DVI and VGA. Sure it wasn't adjustable, but the notion that I could have 2 of these guys cheaper just really made me unsure. MVA panels are nicer, but still not perfect. Yet two of these monitors would really give me a lot of work space and flexibility (having two monitors instead of 1 if I ever need to have them separated). Or I can just be running my PS3 with Blu-Ray on 1 and work on the other.

What do you guys think? Please help! I'm dying here!

What will you be primarily doing with the monitor? PC Gaming? Watching Movies? Photo Editing? If it was me, I would jump on a S-PVA/P-MVA display. I know it costs more but, you won't regret when you realize it delivers better picture quality. The reason I say this is because I went through numerous monitors and had TN, S-PVA, P-MVA panel LCD. At the time, I did not know about TN panels etc and all this stuff. I just saw a 22" Westinghouse at Best Buy and I was like: "ooh a 22" display for $400 that's a pretty good deal". So.. I bought it and I was pretty happy about it since it has video inputs on that LCD. Then, when I seen a 24" Gateway FPD2485W, I jumped on that. Of course, I paid alot more for it being 24", higher resolution etc. but, I didn't care hehe I wanted it. I even got the additonal coverage for that display since Gateway lcds have only 1 year warranty. So.. altogether it cameout to $800 something dollars. I was excited to set it up at home. When I brought it home and played GOW on Xbox360 on it, holy f*ck the colors were soo much more vivid. The 22" TN Westinghouse appeared sooo washed out. So.. I later sold my 22" Westinghouse to my friend. Even movies looked very good to. Yes, S-PVA/P-MVA displays have higher input lag but, it's not much an issue if your mainly using it for 2D applications such as watching movies and Photo editing. I had no issues to with my Xbox 360 hooked up to it. If you PC game, since PC gaming pushes alot of fps, then you may notice more the lag and motion blur or ghosting. The BenQ FP241 will be perfect for you since it has 1:1 mapping and it won't stretch the PS3 image. Also, the BenQ 24" is an all around P-MVA panel that would be good for gaming also. It definitely has lower input lag then the Dell 2408WFP. I would just buy a good 24" and just pick up a cheap TN panel later on.

Oh and to answer the questions, I currently mainly use my computer for browsing, communication, and work. I found I needed a setup that allowed more productivity so hence I want some more screen estate. Once I get a new monitor(s), I'll probably start rigging some TV and PS3 to the mix so I'll be gaming from the PS3 as well as watching some high-def movies.

There should be a revised Dell 2408WFP A01 model bein released that supposedly will have lower input lag.

Every Dell series seems like they come out with more major issues than you'd expect to find on such high end monitors. I accept that just about nothing's perfect unless you pay an insane amount of money but I think they are a little too much.

BenQ seems better quality.

Back