[H]ardfolding for a CPU Contest: Entry details inside!

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Disclaimer: This contest is NOT associated with [H]ardOCP or [H]ardForum in any way. I have talked to Kyle, and I got his permission to put this contest together, but I am doing it on my own. They only involvement [H] has is letting me use the forums to get out information to the target audiance and as a means of contact.[H]ardOCP is in no way responsible for collecting entries, determining winners, or distributing prizes. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in this thread or email [email protected].

The Rules:

There will be at least two CPU giveaways, based on how much money I can raise for the project. There will be two separate categories that someone can enter to win in. The first CPU will go to the long time folders. The only requirement for this CPU is that you have over 150,000 points. The second CPU will be for everyone else, in hopes to bring in some new folders. The requirement for this CPU will be over 5,000 points. The drawings for each CPU will be 100% random. I will assign each person that enters a number, and then use a program to generate a random number. There is no increased odds for people with more points, once you get over the required minimum you stand just as much of a chance as anyone else.

The Prizes:

The CPU's that are given away is entirely up to the winners. It can be any CPU under $200. As of 01/06/05 there has been a slight change to this. For starters, I am already over the needed $400 in donations. Any money over $400 will be divided between the winners. If I reach $600 in donations, a third CPU will be given away. I am also changing the prize a bit, since some people on older setups may not be able to benifit from a nice new processor. The money can either go to a CPU or a CPU / Motherboard combo. Also, if the winner wishes, and it falls within their alotted funds, they can choose to get an OEM CPU and a nicer heatsink or waterblock. Also, if the person wants, they can chip in money above and beyond whay they win for something better. Want a $300 combo? I'll pay the first $200+, just paypal me the differance. It still must fit with the above regulations, but it just allows for a bug chunk of change off something nicer. No hardware can be substatued, no hard drives, ram,video cards, ect...dont even ask. If you have any questions on the changes, be sure to get in touch with me.

Edit -2/17/05: Thanks to the generous donations from you guys, I have managed to suprass $600 in donations. This is increadable....I never could have imagined getting this much support. Because of this, there will now be a third CPU that will be given away, in which everyone who entered is elligable to win.

How to Enter:

Please, if your going to enter, make sure you follow these rules. I will have a lot of entries to sort through. Please send your entry to [email protected]. Have the subject say the following, "CPU #x Contest Entry - (folding handle) - (hardforum username)". For the CPU#, put a one or two based on how many points you have. Please make sure you enter for the proper CPU. If you enter for CPU#1 and don't have over 150,000 points at the time, you will be disqualified. If you enter for CPU#2 and don't have at least 5,000 points you will be disqualified. Please do not enter until you have reached the required point level. Any points over the set levels do not increase your chances, so hurry up and enter as soon as you hit enough points. For the body of the email, simply leave me a message saying that you have read this post and agree to all the rules. The deadline for contest entries is March 1st, 2005. That gives you over three months to start folding and getting some decent numbers. Updated 1/12/05: If you are somebody who starts folding for the contest, yet by the deadline you fall short of the 5,000 point limit. Based on your rig, when you started, and the points you have, I will take an entry into consideration. If I can see that you started and were folding 24/7, and if I think you will continue to fold after the contest, I will allow you to enter. This will be done on a case by case basis, and it 100% my choice whether I let you enter. Read below for the requirments if you are going to be taking advantage of this.

How to Donate:

I am not rich, and as such I cannot pay for this contest on my own. It will be driven by donations. I need to get at least $400 to cover the two CPU's, and anything over that will go towards additional prizes. I ask that all donations are at least, but not limited to, $10. If I accepted donations smaller than that, it would be to hard to keep track of. Please send all donations to my pay pal account, [email protected]. Yes, I know this is my personal account, but I hardly use it and will keep very close tabs on all the donations I get. If you donate, I also ask that you send an email to email][email protected][/email] with the following subject, "Folding contest donation - (hardforum handle) - (paypal address money was sent from) - (amount donated)". This will help me keep tabs on everyone that donated money. As of now, I can also take money order donations if you don't trust paypal. If you wish to donate via a money order, pleaes PM me and I will give you furhter instructions. Thanks to OSUGuy for helping me with this!

Deadlines:

Added 02/15/2005

Contest Entry - February 28th by 11:00PM CST. Please keep in mind, this is based on my clock. If your a different time zone, adjust the time accordingly. The reason for this deadline if for me to get everything sorted and winners announced March 1st.

Entry Evaluation - February 27th by 11:00PM CST. I said that if someone honestly tried there hardest, folding 24/7, and fell just short of a deadline, that I might give special concideration for entry on a case by case basis. I ask that these requests be recieved a day ealier so I have time to do some checking and make a decision. I will be outlining below the steps necessary if you are going to be taking advantage of this.

Entry Mistake Correction - February 27th by 11:00PM CST. I will post a link to the current entries one week before the contest deadline. You have from then till the mistake correction deadline to report any errors to me. If your name isn't on the list, or you entered for the wrong thing, get in touch with me ASAP. Come the deadline, if you havn't reported a mistake, it is your loss. I will try to be as accurate as possable, but that doens't mean there can't be a problem, so double check.

Winners Announcement - March 1st, 12:01AM CST. I have done some thinking about a proper time to do this, and this is the best time for me. On Tuesdays, I have class in the morning at work at night. If I waited to announce a winner till the end of the day, it probably woudln't be until around 11:30PM. So, fitting in with my shedule, 12:01AM fits me best. If you notice, most of my posting is done in the early morning anyways. If you are up that late for the annoucement, great....otherwise you can find out when you wake up.

Please make note these are all CST times, adjust yours appropriatly for your time zone. I am going to be very stict here in order to be fair to everyone, there will be absolutly NO exceptions for late entries. I don't care if it was by two minutes or two hours, don't cut it that close.

Entry Evaluation:

Edit 2/20/5 - Maybe I didnt explain this to well, but it only applys to people that fell short of an entry deadline. Say by the end of he contest you had 4,850 points, and the requirement is 5,000 points, email me about because concidered, in compliance with the rules below. If you already have enough points to enter, then you do not need to provide me with all of this information. Sorry for those of you who needlessly typed all this up.

As stated, I will do case by case evaluations for people who came close, but fell short of the point requirement. Please email me at [email protected] with the following information: Subject: "Folding Contest Entry Evaluation". In the email, please state: 1.) HardForum Usernane, 2.) Folding Handle, 3.) Current F@H Points, 4.) When you started folding, 5.) On average, how many hours per day were you folding?, 6.) What are the specs of the computer(s) that were running F@H, 7.) Do you plan to continue to fold after the contest (be honest). If you don't provide an answer to all seven criteria, your reques will automatically be denied. As stated before, these must be recieved before February 27th by 11:00PM CST. Feel free to send them a few days ahead of time so I don't get a whole lot in one day. Please keep in mind this is on a case by case basis at my sole discression. I will look at your stats and see how much of an effort you put into hitting the deadline. Please don't send me outlandish requests either. If your Grandma's b0rged P3 got just over 3k points while your computer didn't fold at all, don't even bother. I don't want to have to shuffle through crap with these, so only send sincere requests.

The Stanford University Folding at Home page (down load the client software here)

The Hard folding FAQ

Track your stats here

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please email [email protected] and I will be happy to do what I can.

Note: I alone have the right to make changes to the rules as I see fit. I will edit the above post whenever I make a change to the rules. If you view this thead and see that my post has been edited, please look for the updates and read them. I am not responcable for you missing an edit.

Entries - Updated 2/28/05 9:39PM - Remember, if your name isnt on this list and it should be, it is your responcibility to get in touch with me before the deadline above.

1. Tigerbiten - tigerbiten
2. [H]ands - rkhands
3. marty9876 - marty9876
4. ByteDownHard - ByteDown[H]ard
5. Agrikk - Agrikk
6. Toasty[H]ardOCP -Toasty
7. Gigabyte1024 - Gigabyte1024
8. [H]Oldbenwa - Oldbenwa
9. sandmanx - sandmanx
10. (aabrown) 7
11. DaBoSSs - DaBoSSs
12. T-3 - T-3
13. Strikemaster – Strikemaster
14. OSUguy98 - OSUguy98
15. FLECOM – FLECOM
16. Mike6099_([H]ardOCP) – Mike6099
17. mnscout - MN Scout
18. KillerMOB - Killer[MoB]
19. sharp - sharp
20. Bear63_[H]ardOCP - Bear63
21. Majic - Majic
22. [H]ugh_Freak - [H]ugh_Freak
23. [H]ardcore - [H]ardcore
24. HoosierDad - HoosierDad

CPU #2:

1. runt – runt
2. Veeb0rg – Veeb0rg
3. RIUM+ - RIUM+
4. pduan87 – pduan87
5. (sawatt) - (sawatt)
6. ArchAngel22 - ArchAngel
7. JethroXP - JethroXP
8. draksia - draksia
9. Konyip - konyip
10. DermicSavage - DermicSavage
11. TekXoID - TekXoID
12. Dustin - titan97
13. nediger04 - Elmo187
14. (Ezkill) - (Ezkill)
15. IanG - IanG
16. Tawnos - Tawnos
17. towert7 - towert7
18. xpl1c1t - xpl1c1t
19. tlheidemann - tlheidemann
20. (amohedas) - (amohedas)
21. XtuRmN8r - XtuRmN8r
22. vdesigns - THICKnFUDGY
23. ChingChang - ChingChang
24. Buckshot - Buckshot
25. [h]wulf - wraieghaeien
26. epGandalf - epGandalf
27. Jesse_Guest - Astroman
28. Delahaya - Delahaya
29. bzhou - zoob
30. stateofbean - stateofbean
31. Dustin - PC
32. jdepew - MMMGT
33. the_s[H]adow - shadow-13x
34. NicWebb - nicolaswebb
35. Lord_Talps - PPatBoyd
36. J4BOnlin3 - J4BOnlin3
37. Lothar_the_Lotharian - Lothar the Lotharian
38. Bodega - Bodega
39. sigmend - sigmend
40. AMvapor - AMV
41. Porphyria - Porphyria
42. Blender[H]edd - Blenderhedd
43. Bob_Sassafrass-Bob Sassafrass
44. frank_b - frank b
45. cellblock - cellblock
46. cgrant26 - cgrant26
47. Torx - Torx
48. swimfast - bpimmerman
49. CK1 - CK1
50. molson3530 - molson3530
51. sparky - sparky
52. Mayhem33 - Mayhem33
53. Carl_Somerton - Racercarl
54. Snobok - Snobok
55. Gk22CoE - Ck22CoE
56. hitobahadur - hitobahadur
57. lbanez3434 0 lbanez3434
58. ChrisSelman - RugenNixie
59. lithium726 - lithium726
60. Leadman584 - Leadman584
61. Smoky - Smoky
62. bigbeav - bigbeave
63. NoXPert – NoXPert
64. ID01 - ID01
65. [H]KieferMonkey - KieferMonkey
66. r00k - r00k
67. apple2gs - apple2gs
68. japplegate – japplegate
69. xhx – xhx
70. awoolf – awol
71. magnusvir – magnusvir
72. wlunchi – wlunchi
73. Varroa – Varroa
74. McPimpenheimer – McPimpenheimer
75. WraithOD – WraithOD
76. apHytHiaTe – apHytHiaTe
77. hchan – hchan
78. phixt – phixt
79. SupaNate – SupaNate
80. ScorpionX – Shannon_Paige
81. Damien – DamienThorn
82. Naffiner – Naffiner
83. KodiakStar – KodiakStar
84. Trancesphere – Trahsphere
85. Mauli – Mauli
86. unhappy_mage - rogue_jedi
87. jenni_hilton - bobsassafrass
88. Reptilezs - Reptilezs
89. Legionc - Legion©
90. Zxcs - Zxcs
91. roz1281 - roz1281
92. damian_Lara - bobsassafrass
93. Spectre - Spectre
94. NST6563 - NST6563
95. merlin42 - merlin42
96. vxspiritxv - vxspiritxv
97. State - Guito13
98. [H]Penguincomp, Penguincomp
99. bealzz - bealzz
100. Hogan - Col_Hogan
101. whoopsie - whoopsie
102. fwarant - fwarant
103. LenBit_[H]ardOCP - LenBit
104. Brett13 - Brett13
105. einst1ne - einst1ne
106. L!nked - CleanSlate
107. arentol - arentol
108. Ken_Hutchings - Fl3shr0k3t
109. SmokeRngs - SmokeRngs
110. Bolt - Knight
111. awoolf - awol
112. FiNaL_MeTHoD - FiNaL_MeTHoD
113. Talonz - Talonz
114. Milkshake - Milkshake
115. labmann55 - labmann55
116. Perplexus - Perplexus
117. Hadez026 - Hadez026
118. DrunkenDonut - DrunkenDonut
119. EinsteiN - -E-
120. BakedON - BakecON
121. Paul_Thurston - Wake6830
122. Rayman2k2 - Rayman2k2
123. losttime - losttime
124. Woofie2 - Woofie2
125. deelerious - deelerious
126. Xcalibur_[H]ardOCP Xcalibur_[H]ardOCP
127. 3nd3r.wiggin - corran_horn314
128. Sunborder - Sunborder
129. MDC - rusek
130. SpoogeMonkey_([H]ardOCP) - SpoogeMonkey
131. Nerk01 - Nerk01
132. WeaselBlade - weaselBlade
133. tartif - tartif
134. Fireplay5 - Fireplay5
135. velusip - velusip
136. Megadeth_Guy01 - Megadeth_Guy01
137. sharpshooter_106 - Eagle106
138. Shadowchild - Shadowchild
139. erehwon6811 - erehwon6811

Donators:

1. rkhands
2. xENo
3. (ByteDown[H]ard)
4. Steve
5. bodega
6. RugenNixie
7. Josh
8. Mayhem33
9. hitobahdur
10. tigerbiten
11. Leadman584
12. NoXPert
13. sandmanx
14. OSUGuy98
15. T-3
16. runt
17. shadow-13x
18. Killer[MoB]
19. SmokeRngs
20. Oldbenwa

Cool.

My only question is.... what is the contest? What are we doing to win?

xENo said:
Cool.

Just fold, and when you reach either of the required point limints, as described in the rules, submit and entry and wait till the deadline when winners are chosen.

Can those of us that does use/don't have/don't trust Paypal send you a money order?

Keep on Folding!!

OSUguy98 said:
Can those of us that does use/don't have/don't trust Paypal send you a money order?

Keep on Folding!!

That makes it tough to get into the paypal account, which is what I plan to pay with when it comes time to ordered the CPU's off newegg. Plus, it oculd get confusing have money come in from two seperate ways. Why don't you trust paypal?

Nothing to see here. Correction made. Please move along at a safe pace.

Viper87227 said:
That makes it tough to get into the paypal account, which is what I plan to pay with when it comes time to ordered the CPU's off newegg. Plus, it oculd get confusing have money come in from two seperate ways. Why don't you trust paypal?

Not saying I don't trust it... I've read others who don't... I, personally, don't have one... and haven't really looked into getting one... I have no problem getting one if it helps the [H]orde, but if there was an easy alternative then there was no reason for me to get one ;)

Keep on Folding!!

Thanks for the corrections.

And OSU, I am gunna keep to paypal only unless I get less donations than expected and need money orders to cover the prizes.

xENo said:
Cool.

It's not so much a contest as it is a lottery or give away.
You don't "win" it other than being the random one chosen. What he did was split it up, one category basically to help entice new folders to join and to reward those of us that have started "more recently", and a second category to reward those that have been here through it all, aka with lots of points, the old-timers if you will ;)

Ch1m3r4 said:
It's not so much a contest as it is a lottery or give away.
You don't "win" it other than being the random one chosen. What he did was split it up, one category basically to help entice new folders to join and to reward those of us that have started "more recently", and a second category to reward those that have been here through it all, aka with lots of points, the old-timers if you will ;)

Perfect.

Viper can you see about getting this thread as a sticky and then you lock/edit for changes. Also link to the original thread for comments.

so if i have more than 150,000 points then can i enter both?

i can donate a CPU (P4) also if this really gets a large response... but i would want it for like the 100k+ people

FLECOM said:
so if i have more than 150,000 points then can i enter both?

i can donate a CPU (P4) also if this really gets a large response... but i would want it for like the 100k+ people

I'm pretty sure it's a one or the other, and since there should be fewer people in that range, you end up with better odds.

Is it limited to just people in the US/Canada, or can international people enter as well? I'm willing to pay the extra in shipping if I win :D

FLECOM, you can only enter for one CPU. If you fall in the 150,000 + group, go for that one, better ods. And On the P4 donation, I would certianly add it to the list. Maybe I could do an early bird special or something, give it away at christmas. If you donate, ill let the conditions be up to you, just PM me. Also, how about a sticky?

RIUM, nooo its not limited to USA/Canada. I will ship anywere I need to for someone willing to fold. By all means, go ahead and enter.

xENo....thanks for the donation. Now, I just need you to do me one more favor...

"If you donate, I also ask that you send an email to
[email protected] with the following subject, "Folding contest
donation - (hardforum handle) - (paypal address money was sent from) -
(amount donated)". This will help me keep tabs on everyone that
donated money."

I am trying to keep tabs on all the donations that come in

I'm guessing this is a one time entry right? Hmm... lets see if I can get 96,000 in 3 months? :eek:

FOLD ON!!!

when the time comes, I will code one up in vb real quick. Should take about 2 minutes.

How about $100.00 to get the ball REALLY rolling on this? I will personally kick in a $100 to help Viper87227 get the CPUs for this giveaway.

The money has been sent...NOW GET FOLDING!!!!

Steve said:
How about $100.00 to get the ball REALLY rolling on this? I will personally kick in a $100 to help Viper87227 get the CPUs for this giveaway.

The money has been sent...NOW GET FOLDING!!!!

Oh, don't worry, we are folding and we will get other people folding.

Unless I hit the lottery, there probably won't be anything from me until after the first of the year. But I will make sure something decent gets there. Luckily, a couple of people owe me some money for either computer parts or labor so I should be able to donate a bit more than $10.

Let's just say I'm hoping that 2 CPUs is pocket change compared to what we end up with. Either that, or this gets a good amount of exposure and we do something similar later on with a lot more participation that this brought on.

By the way everyone, don't worry, I don't think anyone is planning on Steve having a chance to get hold of the CPUs. This way there shouldn't be as much worry that any animals will try and eat the CPUs. :p :D

Thanks for the front page exposure Steve!! Not to mention the $100 donation!! I hope this contest inspires many more to fold for the [H]orde and the cure(s)...

Viper, you'll have my donation as soon as I find some time to make a paypal account

Keep on Folding!!

Man, I can't thank you enough Steve. The front page is cool, $100 is insane. Thats really generous man. Just one more thing if you woudlnt mind. Under the donations part of my 1st post I ask that all the donators email me at [email protected]. I am keeping track of all the donations I get to insure that every donated dollar goes towards the CPU's and doenst get lost in my paypal account.

OOPS!

Guess I should have read thru all the posts after the first b4 sending an entry for each cpu:eek:
Oh well, on my way to donate to the cause...

ByteDown[H]ard said:
OOPS!

Guess I should have read thru all the posts after the first b4 sending an entry for each cpu:eek:
Oh well, on my way to donate to the cause...

I assumed you wanted to be in for the 1st CPU, as the odds are greater of winning that one. Thanks for the donation also. Up to $155 in less than two days. This is much more than I expected thus far. I shoudl end up with more than two CPUs going out.

Glad to see a contest to draw more folders. I've 3 machines running it and the only thing I have to worry about is getting them all showing up under my name :cool: . Good to see so much interest in folding@home.

So do us few UD [H] folders qualify as well, seems your looking for those into F@H. Just checking...

Xpl1c1t said:
So do us few UD [H] folders qualify as well, seems your looking for those into F@H. Just checking...

F@H only. I have seen alot of cancer in my days, as have many of the people donating money and folding for this contest. I gotta stick to that.

Thanks for the taking the time to setup the contest. Hope we get some new blood in the fold.

I will be donating after the holidays. Moneys tight this time of the year :(

Buck
u_buckshot.gif

nice little contest to reward folders, and get some new folders (hopefully). almost makes me think of leaving EOCF for a couple days to qualify for that cpu#2. j/k. that wouldn't be fair. :)

eneuman said:
nice little contest to reward folders, and get some new folders (hopefully). almost makes me think of leaving EOCF for a couple days to qualify for that cpu#2. j/k. that wouldn't be fair. :)

Just folding to get in the COU drawing and quitting is not what I am shooting for. I woudl love it however if you took up folding and didnt stop. Thats what the contest is all about.

Also, since I am posting, I am gunna give you guys the satus thus far. I am at $155 in donations, 30 people in for CPU #2, 7 people in for CPU #1. Not bad for being less than 48 hours in.

FOLD ON!!!!!!

Just built a computer for someone, but they're not ready to take it, so I'm putting it to good use. Another computer for folding!

Awsome giveaway! Shouldn't be to hard to reach the 5,000 mark... This gives me an insentive to start folding 24/7 again on both machines of mine..

so ok, do you allocate an amount and then let the winner allocate what kind of cpu they want?

i am going to try to get that P4 but it may be a bit more difficult than originally planned...

Back