[H]-GiveOut! I'm donating 2x 8800GT 256MB's to the [H]orde

tedkj

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2008
Results:

Winner: SeaMonkey - Cards rolled: 1
2nd Winner: Imitation

Please send me a private message with your PayPal account ID and I will transfer the money ASAP. Thanks and congratz!

I see Newegg has this great deal up with a Gigabyte 8800GT / 256MB for $69.99 after rebates. So I thought I'd kick up some donation-love for our almost-broke folders. If you feel you need one or two of these, I will transfer $69.99 + shipping (x2) to your PayPal account.

To apply;

1. Write some words why you feel you should get one or two cards.
2. You need to have boxens which will benefit from the cards properly (please list your specs if in doubt).
3. Accept that the cards have to be used for [H]-folding 24/7.
4. Live in the US and be able to take advantage of the $30 mail-in rebate.
5. Ideally, if you win 2 cards, you'd have to purchase it under two names to get two cashbacks - but we'll work something out. If not, I'll cover the last cashback for you.

General crap;

People with open PCI-Ex slots will be prioritzed. I.e, got one slot and currently run a 8600GT etc? Then this is not for you. And ofcourse, you fold under your own name.

People in so far;

lelliott731
gwarren007
SeaMonkey
drgnfang
FLECOM
Imitation
Oldie

Dude, you rock.
We used to ship parts all over the world, free to any [H] DCer who could get 'em folding.
...and so it begins again.

I can now say, without any doubt, that the ancient spirit of [H]ard DC has come back in all of it's raging fury. The competition doesn't have a prayer.

I know I'm doing ok in the PPD race right now, but I have multiple boxes that do not have any GPU2 cards in them, and they are just ready and waiting for cards.

The reason I feel I should get one or two of them is the fact that I am doing everything in my power to push out as many WU's in a day, via as many different types of clients so that the Stanford Group gets help on all angles. I have not dropped everything and just moved to whatever gives the most PPD, I have kept machines that have 2x Core 2 Duo Xeons running the regular client because I have a lot of SMP clients, and I know they still need regular client users. I've got my PS3 folding 24/7 so it can help with those, and I've been involved in the failed GPU1 attempt, and have now recently gotten two cards for two of my boxen to help out with the startup of the GPU2 attempt. But I have many more boxen who have open PCIe slots that would love to have GPU2 clients in them, but I just can't afford it right now.

On a side note, just so everything's out in the open, I am in a c[H]allenge with Xilikon, but as of July 8th he's going to be able to ramp up, and because my wife is having to have her wisdom teeth out, and we don't have insurance for dental work, I'm not going to be able to purchase anything anytime soon.

Not trying to get a pity party, just wanted you to know the truth.

Thanks tedkj for putting on this cool give-a-way!!!

Your da' man tedkj, all I can say is thanks a bunch for doin' what Mr relic said you did "brought back the generous ancient spirit of [H]ard DC in "raging fury" and he also said something else " the competition doesn't have a prayer" (you have no idea how that breaks my heart, NOT a BIT!) :D

FOLD ON! and again thanks from not only me, but most of the members on [H]orde team #33. :p

Edit: Ahh..., now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have made the "sweeping" statement above concerning most of the members of team #33 because I don't have near the longevity that most of the members of this great team have, but I felt very confident making it. :)

i say, donate them to the [H]ardFolding Community Boxen Program, that way those PCs could get some nice PPD :)

i say, donate them to the [H]ardFolding Community Boxen Program, that way those PCs could get some nice PPD :)

Only problem will be that we would then need to get vista to go on those boxen, but it might be worth it.

I'd love to grab one of thoes cards.... but I'm sure there are others that don't have the $$ to buy the cards that could use them.

But if no one applies I can find a home for one or a few of them. :p

foldingfarm.jpg

Not one of those puters has a GPU in them...... yet.

Ballen' on a budget baby :cool:

Only problem will be that we would then need to get vista to go on those boxen, but it might be worth it.

Vista? couldn´t they just run the GPU2 under XP ? :confused:

I deserve one of the cards to help push me to the next level. I am currently condensing my folding to 2 boxen each with a quadcore processor and a gigabyte 8800gt. I would only want one, as i plan on wednesday to purchase one, and this should be able to push my production to 10k or more.
I have been with the horde for nearly two years, and will continue for years, regardless of the clients that F@H comes out with.
As for hardware:
1X -Biostar 7150mu-7, X3210, 2gb ram 160gb harddrive.
3X- Msi p6ngm-l motherboards 2 of them new in box. 1 in use with a Q6600
1XConrore667-1333 motherboard, E2160, 2gb ram 2.4ghz.

All of the motherboards use on board video and all have open video card slots.

If you check my production you will notice downward trend. I had a storm that took out my router, 2power supplies, my modem, and a ethernet port on my Q6600 motherboard. All will be fixed by monday when all will be back online. The 8800gt will arrive the folling monday, bringing up my production 4k.

I have xp pro and vista avail.

They won't be donated to faceless boxen, but people as stated. The idea is to get this rolling, as this won't be the last time I do this, and hopefully, other people with some cash to spare can do it from time to time also. :)

Really, really cool ted, awesome way to support the team and the cause!!

/beers and tamales to you man, Fold On!!!!

Vista? couldn´t they just run the GPU2 under XP ? :confused:

Right now the community boxen are running diskless/head less no HDD and no monitor. The only OS that is installed is a mini linux distro on a live folding CD.

I lost 6 dual Xeon servers last week and am currently folding with just two laptops and soon to be folding with the Q6600 setup I just ordered. Does that Qualify?

The worst part of losing the 6 servers is that I was close enough to the top 100 to taste it.

There's probably plenty of people out there that could use the help more than I.

tedkj you don´t ship international right? :)

Thats awesome tedkj. Way to support the team. :eek:

I would be happy to make a home for one of these cards. Currently my dedicated quad is just rocking a GeForce 6200 PCI. The GPU should help to push my over 10K PPD, currently sitting at 8832 according to to FAHSpy.

Here are the specs of the machine:
Antec 900, Win XP (unused copy of vista if necessary), 160g IDE
GB P35-DS3L
Q6600 @ 3.24 (400x9); Xig 1283 w/ Scythe S-Flex G
4g of DDR2/1000
PC P&C 610w Silencer

Thanks for the (non-prison) lovin Ted

D'oh

You are correct, 360x9. Was thinking of the 400x9 cause that is what my 8400 is running at and I was rebuilding it last night.

Dude, you rock.
We used to ship parts all over the world, free to any [H] DCer who could get 'em folding.
...and so it begins again.

I can now say, without any doubt, that the ancient spirit of [H]ard DC has come back in all of it's raging fury. The competition doesn't have a prayer.

It's been here the entire time relic, trust me, it's been hidden, but it's been here.

hrmm... i have an Intel D975XBX board at work with a pentium D 945 thats currently running the SMP client at work (video card in it is a PCI rage128 lol)

it has 3x open PCIe x16 slots which could really use some 8800 lovin ;)

FYI i think each person can only get one MIR without jumping though some serious hoops, so if i get the money for 2 i would be willing to eat the $30 loss and buy a 3rd card for $100 to have triple 8800GT lovin in that box :D

i have a little money in my paypal account from stuff i sold in the DC FS/FT that i could use to cover the $130 due to Kendrak 's evil logic im really considering spending the money even tho i *should* keep it for silly things like, the power bill, rent, etc lol

meh, i probably have enough PPD anyway so im not sure how much i feel i "should" get one or two, but hey then maybe i can work on finally passing eastms.edu lol

I'd love to grab one of thoes cards.... but I'm sure there are others that don't have the $$ to buy the cards that could use them.

But if no one applies I can find a home for one or a few of them. :p

http://jenandisaac.com/fah/foldingfarm.jpg

Not one of those puters has a GPU in them...... yet.

Ballen' on a budget baby :cool:

how bout we take up a collection to buy this man some cases LOL

I've got a buddy that folds under my name that built a machine with a athlon x2 last year and had planned on one day getting a card for gaming but could never afford it. He's been stuck on a 6100 IGP the entire time since his wife has had some health issues. I know he would just die if i told him that i had an 8800GT for him and that it had to fold the whole time. So I'd like to put my name in so that we can put it in his boxen.

I've got a buddy that folds under my name that built a machine with a athlon x2 last year and had planned on one day getting a card for gaming but could never afford it. He's been stuck on a 6100 IGP the entire time since his wife has had some health issues. I know he would just die if i told him that i had an 8800GT for him and that it had to fold the whole time. So I'd like to put my name in so that we can put it in his boxen.

Not sure if we get a vote in this, but that sounds like a great home for a card.

He'd use it for folding or gaming you think?

Well dang it. There goes my attempt. I've got a P5B that would love one and of course it would fold nearly 24x7, but I'm betting there are some other folks on here that could really use one.

Awesome of you man!

does he have free powe? just wondering if the power consumption would be an issue? if its folding 24/7 hes going to feel it in his bill, just something to consider...

does he have free powe? just wondering if the power consumption would be an issue? if its folding 24/7 hes going to feel it in his bill, just something to consider...

maybe an extra 5 bucks? :confused:

maybe an extra 5 bucks? :confused:

It definitely shouldn't be much. If he's already got the machine running 24/7 anyway, the difference between idle and full load on the card should be about 50W from the wall, so roughly 36kWh per month.

It definitely shouldn't be much. If he's already got the machine running 24/7 anyway, the difference between idle and full load on the card should be about 50W from the wall, so roughly 36kWh per month.

no way man, my machine running SMP draws 250w running gpu it draws 450w... thats with an 8800GTX.... so its definately more than 50w...

well its still an 86w difference...

Hey guys, to answer your questions, he probably would use it for gaming maybe a couple hours a week, but he's working 50+ hours right now. I talked to him about it after I made the initial post and he said he wouldn't have any issues with the small power increase since he's graciously been running 2 console clients as "payment" for me building his pc. He says its a great deal considering he would have paid considerably more if he'd bought it from dell or some other company at the time and he's contributing to the science. So running fah on a free gpu wouldn't be an issue for him.

And in case anyone's curious, he got a steal on an antec sonata II when we built it so he's got a solid 450w antec supply in it already.

Hey guys, to answer your questions, he probably would use it for gaming maybe a couple hours a week, but he's working 50+ hours right now. I talked to him about it after I made the initial post and he said he wouldn't have any issues with the small power increase since he's graciously been running 2 console clients as "payment" for me building his pc. He says its a great deal considering he would have paid considerably more if he'd bought it from dell or some other company at the time and he's contributing to the science. So running fah on a free gpu wouldn't be an issue for him.

And in case anyone's curious, he got a steal on an antec sonata II when we built it so he's got a solid 450w antec supply in it already.

well there you go :)

sounds like a good home then :D

tedkj...well it kind of makes me misty eyed what ya did. I hope to be in that position in a month or two myself. I've contributed what I can to the boxen program, but i think this type of deal will help spark interest and keep some people interested who might have been waning. Thanks for showing some leadership and spirit!

congrats to the winners!! :) wow!!

i hope this is the beginning of a new trend here at the [H]orde, and i also hope that in the future international shipping is available :p

:) I never win anything...

Can't say that anymore.

I'll make sure that thing is folding 24x7

I'll also make sure that the good karma continues and circles back to this group as soon as I can make it happen.

Thx
SeaMonkey

Back