[H] - Open Box 5870 - 319.99 plus shipping

I wonder if that's the one I returned a few weeks back. It would GSOD at any speed over stock at any voltage so I returned it. Hm.

I wonder if that's the one I returned a few weeks back. It would GSOD at any speed over stock at any voltage so I returned it. Hm.

I didn't realize that an item is classified as defective if it can't run at speeds it's not meant to?

Well I returned it as defective so don't look at me :eek:

staring at you .. :eek:

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, this is one of the best 5870 I have own, it overclock pretty dang good, beside the fan does go pretty loud once you crank it up the overclock. Its even louder than reference. But it does its job, so not complaining..

I didn't realize that an item is classified as defective if it can't run at speeds it's not meant to?
I paid 429.99 for a video card that advertises voltage adjustment, enhanced cooling, and better power management for overclocking. I even upgraded to a 1000w PSU to ensure I was getting proper power to my system. But if I so much as bumped the core up 25MHz it would GSOD which is indicative of a defective chip. Most people were hitting 950-1000MHz core on these V2 editions, hell my reference cards clock to 950-960, so obviously something was up. So I returned it. /shrug. Don't think that's being dishonest or anything.

Anyway, this is one of the best 5870 I have own, it overclock pretty dang good, beside the fan does go pretty loud once you crank it up the overclock. Its even louder than reference. But it does its job, so not complaining..
Yeah, the actual board itself is excellent. If I had to re-buy my cards now I would pick up 2x of these no question. I obviously got a bum card, but I've owned a lot of ASUS products before and never had a problem. You're bound to get a bad part every once in a while.

Yeah I tried to get a $210 5850 last night but was too slow, had a second of hesitation before adding it to chart and someone got it.

they go very fast.

Yeah I tried to get a $210 5850 last night but was too slow, had a second of hesitation before adding it to chart and someone got it.

they go very fast.

Remember trying to get the Abit NF7-S mobo on refurb years ago. You got to be on it. finally got one :D

I paid 429.99 for a video card that advertises voltage adjustment, enhanced cooling, and better power management for overclocking. I even upgraded to a 1000w PSU to ensure I was getting proper power to my system. But if I so much as bumped the core up 25MHz it would GSOD which is indicative of a defective chip. Most people were hitting 950-1000MHz core on these V2 editions, hell my reference cards clock to 950-960, so obviously something was up. So I returned it. /shrug. Don't think that's being dishonest or anything.

The card did everything it advertised. Overclocking is always YMMV, so you should have took it up with the manufacturer if you felt you were being cheated, not Newegg.

FYI, for those in the market for vidocards or hardware in general. If you search for Tigerdirect on bing you get a 12-15% bing cashback link. While you still pay full price up front, you can get a new 5870 for $340-350 depending on the cashback level. I did that with mine a few months ago and 15% cashback.

It's always worth checking

The card did everything it advertised. Overclocking is always YMMV, so you should have took it up with the manufacturer if you felt you were being cheated, not Newegg.
Considering they advertise it for overclocking (feel free to reference their actual product page) and it wasn't capable of doing that, I would disagree with you there.

I see "up to" in all their marketing. Meaning anything over stock would be considered within spec.

Defective items go back to manufacturer. I really doubt NE is sending them back to customers for open box items. At least when I worked retail a long time ago, we didn't test to see if an item was defective as a customer said, we simply put it in a shipping crate back to the correct manufacturer with other items.

Louder than a GTX 470, 5870 with fan over 35-40% becomes very very loud in my experience.

dangit! i just bought this card. i wanted to overclock it. haha! too bad i missed out on the gtx480. woulda been sweet matching it up with my msi

dangit! i just bought this card. i wanted to overclock it. haha! too bad i missed out on the gtx480. woulda been sweet matching it up with my msi

One persons experience does not mean all the cards are going to be like that, there's a very good chance you didn't get his (the guy up above) card unless he didn't mark "defective". I doubt NewEgg tests the parts.

Back